• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SFX Director Shinji Higuchi to Helm Live-Action Attack on Titan Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmm this should be interesting...hope it goes well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred if Tetsuya Nakashima was still attached to this project....
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I have no faith in a Japanese live action anime adaptation. Espically one that will live and die based on how it portrayals something as tough as the Titans. They are going to be CG creatures and well they'd have to actually look good. Kind of have my doubts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I can see a Hollywood Remake 2-3 years after this initial Live Action movie's release if it looks marketable to some execs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I have no faith in a Japanese live action anime adaptation. Espically one that will live and die based on how it portrayals something as tough as the Titans. They are going to be CG creatures and well they'd have to actually look good. Kind of have my doubts.

Yeah. Anime/manga adaptations of drama or romance? Fine. Ones that require high budgets for the technical aspects? Yeah not even close. Those Spider-man scenes would be expensive and complex even for a major Hollywood studio.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I can see a Hollywood Remake 2-3 years after this initial Live Action movie's release if it looks marketable to some execs.

... Has there ever actually been an anime turned into a Hollywood film?
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

... Has there ever actually been an anime turned into a Hollywood film?
That's how bad they are.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't see this going well....
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Why not just throw a Live Action budget at another Anime Adaptation?

There is little chance of a Action film as ambitious as this will be successful outside of a hollywood budget. The CG needed is unlikely to get enough funding thrown at it
defan752

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:

I think that would be best. Personally, I want a season 2, but even an anime film reboot would be okay. My advice to the developing studio: GET HOLLYWOOD HELP.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
defan752 wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:

I think that would be best. Personally, I want a season 2, but even an anime film reboot would be okay. My advice to the developing studio: GET HOLLYWOOD HELP.

They probably have Warner Brothers' backup and WB will get the American right.

Just like Warner Brothers who got the Death Note right, they will never make the film in US.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I have no faith in a Japanese live action anime adaptation. Espically one that will live and die based on how it portrayals something as tough as the Titans.

Agreed 100%. To get it done right, sadly, it needs hundreds of million of dollars, this aint gonna be good 100% guaranteed.

Gantz live action was more or laughs than for anything else as an example.

Japan does not have the resources for this kind of live action, Period.

I aint a fan of live action, I dont watch any, I am no fan of HW, but if there is ONE anime/manga to live action adaptation that has the potential to become an internation sucess , granted that it gets the 150-200-250 million dollars it needs, its Shingeki no Kyoujin.

It has little no none japanese cultural references, this is pretty western and modifications would be easy if any, one that would be essential is replacing teenagers to young adult (25-40 years old) as protagonists, otherwise it would look like a total joke, even on the upcoming japanese live action.

defan752 wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:

Someone that does not read the manga detected Very Happy The is NO material for anymore Shingeki noi kyojin. NONE, not for a sequel not for a reboot right now, unless its minimum 2 or 4 years from now, perphas a 12 or 24 eps sequel could be possible then.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
I didn't really dislike the Gantz movies. At least the 2nd one. It had some fun action scenes, but they worked because they were fighting people. The 1st one's action scenes were lame, because the cg for the statues just did not work. So since they couldn't have the sautes do anything cool because they can't really animate them, you got awful action scenes. Having a character basically wail in front of a statue is not a sword fight.

Gantz 2 on the other hand had some cool fights, but a lot of the cg looked bad. Like when they were running across rooftops.

I'm sure it did'nt hurt that the 2nd one is batshit insane and basically whatever!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
The one thing that gives me a sliver of hope is that Higuchi was the guy who directed that spoiler[Nausicaa prequel] short film that played with Eva 3.0. That was one seriously apocalyptic ten minutes of film.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I read this on my FB. I'm rather surprised at this but I think this is a bit much. I'd rather have a season 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2