• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Setting Fire To Your Dreams Since 2013

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
normajean19

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking earlier today I should ask what's up with simulcast delays, since Kill la Kill has been delayed in English every week for a long time now. But someone beat me to it!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm when it comes to bad bluray players I've had a horrible experience with an RCA. Not only was the display out horrible compared to my ps3 that I have now, the apps took forever to start and crashed horribly. Luckily I was able to get a refund on the shitty blu-ray players and put the money towards a ps3 which I ended up buying in 2009.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
That opening story made me worry a little, as I just bought an LG BP220 player from eBay to watch region 1 releases* over here in PAL-country. So far it's been great (and I like the interface compared to my region 2 Panasonic) but it was cheap, it feels cheap and I am now worried it might start throwing a tantrum Laughing

*(Curse you, Crunchyroll deal of the day!)

Last edited by Ji-L87 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
"Most anime is shown late at night, during hours rented out by the producers, and the programs are shown as infomercials. The TV networks don't really care how many people watch, and since the airing is really just meant to advertise the home video release (where the money REALLY comes from), having low or high ratings doesn't really affect the producers much either. It's mostly just used as a metric to see how well the show is connecting with an audience."

QFT. This also dovetails nicely with a point made in a previous column about shows that don't continue.

We fans here in the U.S. are, for better or worse, a secondary market for anime, and as such, too many of us have a very skewed perception of what the thing really is.

Justin deserves all the kudos in the world for using the word "infomercial" here, because it's arguably the most accurate way to describe what a lot of anime really is (certainly the early-A.M. shows, as he specifies). It's paid for by the networks and book publishers, simply to get people to go out and buy discs and books and other merchandise. That's not to totally devalue a given show, but it's not like everything deserves to be on a pedestal either.

Yet for better or worse, that's where anime ends up when it comes Stateside, simply as a function of the fact that that's pretty much all we get. Manga and novels, to say nothing of other merchandise like CDs and figures, often exist in a vacuum here, and don't sell anywhere close to as well as they do in Japan. That's neither good nor bad, exactly, because everything is working independently of everything else here; anime occupies a space as a primary product. But anime can't be viewed through that same lens when fans start asking why a second season of something hasn't been made in Japan, because the dynamics are totally different.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
*snip*

It doesn't help that fans in the U.S. tend to view themselves as the center of the world. "We're big on Schoolgirl Milky Crisis, and if Big O can get a second season for us, then so can SMC!"
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...The TV networks don't really care how many people watch, and since the airing is really just meant to advertise the home video release (where the money REALLY comes from), having low or high ratings doesn't really affect the producers much either.

I'd disagree and rather say it depends...

Sometimes the REAL money is in merchandise (figures, towels, whatever).

Some other times the effects on the numbers of the source(manga, lightnovel, games) is enough to justify even a low-sell anime (Chihayafuru).

There are titles that churn craploads of money, and plenty of those churning enough to support themselves, I give that.
But of those that turn positive figures once everything's counted, all of them? No. Not even sure a majority of them are...
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if I should be surprised or sad to see there are still kids who have delusions of grandeur on being a dub voice actor or some other low paying non-Japanese anime industry position they think they can make a living on.

At this point, I think acting classes (or hell, any class concentrating on the arts and creative expression) should have some part of the curriculum covering "blue collar Hollywood" as well as the business side of breaking into the entertainment industry. It might be discouraging for some, but it might also help prevent a lot more broken dreams.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Justin, it sounds like your Blu Ray drive is haunted by a poltergeist. He's probably named "Steve" or something. Leave a plate of shortbread biscuits out and he'll be more compliant.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
There's a saying that goes something like this; " To make a small fortune in <Whatever> you need to start with a large one. " That saying seems to apply to the Anime industry worldwide.

I've stuck to SONY for Blu-Ray players and it has worked well so far. I do have an LG DVD/CD play from 5 years ago and it is a solid machine.

Mark Gosdin
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Justin, your Blu-Ray player is haunted. It's the only explanation.

My only real electronics horror story involves the Xbox 360 (because of course). I took the bus into Dublin about a year after it came out (a not-insubstantial cost for me then) to buy a second hand one. When I unboxed it at home the memory card slot covers were broken or missing, it was smeared with what appeared to be lipstick and it smelled very strongly of strawberries for some reason. Then it red-ringed after about half an hour.

The next day I went back into town and swapped it out for a new one, which did not smell like strawberries. This one lasted several hours before also spontaneously breaking. So I went in again and the baffled guy in the shop gave me a third one. It almost outlasted the warranty before that one broke too. So I replaced it, and a year or so later the fourth one broke. This time I didn't bother getting a new one.

Oh also, my very first DVD player- which I got specifically to play anime DVDs from the US- would sometimes just spontaneously stop working with certain discs, even if I had played them successfully before. I looked it up and it apparently had something to do with dual-layering interfering with the laser. It was super cheap though so I wasn't really surprised.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Off topic, but Mark Gosdin, your avatar scared me a little bit just there. I thought at first Shiratori had come back. Shocked
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I had an Avayon DXP1000 DVD player that went through a somewhat similar process of degradation. I bought it in 2007 as an all-region player, and at first it was fine. Then the remote died, which I replaced. Then it began doing weird things with subtitles. Occasionally it would lock up. I replaced it with a Phillips DVP5140 (which has been fine for years) and demoted the Avayon to duty as a CD player in the space by my kotatsu where I sit and read.

Last year it began occasionally freezing while playing a CD. Then one day the music just stopped and it could no longer find tracks. So I ran a long cable to the Marantz PMD330 in my audio rack (which has been running fine for a decade). Can't justify buying a new CD player in this day and age.

I'm always reluctant to get rid of old electronics. I have a PowerMac G5 chassis that now does nothing but serve as a shelf off the floor for my Hello Kitty humidifier.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
...The TV networks don't really care how many people watch, and since the airing is really just meant to advertise the home video release (where the money REALLY comes from), having low or high ratings doesn't really affect the producers much either.

I'd disagree and rather say it depends...

Sometimes the REAL money is in merchandise (figures, towels, whatever).

Some other times the effects on the numbers of the source(manga, lightnovel, games) is enough to justify even a low-sell anime (Chihayafuru).

I think that everybody who is interested in this, should just read this.
http://www.someanithing.com/?page_id=104

But yes, where the profit comes from varies from series to series, be source sales, merch, music or even tourism.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I only have a few minor electronics horror stories.

One is that while I wasn't home my Mother put in my Beauty and the Beast VHS tape (this was like '06) for my step-niece. Well, the 20 year old VCR took a crap. What did they do? CUT IT OUT! They could have unscrewed the lid and removed the tape and it would have been fine. Which I was super pissed because at the time you could no longer by Beauty and the Beast.

It hasn't crapped out on my but the whole time I've own my second hand (I bought it off a friend) Xbox 360 it makes a loud whirring/buzzing sound the whole time it is on. I've gotten used to it. It is kind annoying when I have friends over though because they are freaked out from it. Still, I've had it a few years and it still works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I've got a Samsung Blu-Ray player and I worry about the same things your LG one just went through. I just flashed it to the newest update, and sure enough, I got Netflix's new UI, but now it locks up after 30 minutes.
I think the rule of thumb should be never update unless your player specifically has a problem. Otherwise just more crap is going to get broken.
Also, I love to see people in the Industry break the dreams of the young. Granted, it was the truth, but to put it bluntly telling them "You'll never amount to anything in Anime!" is hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6