• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll Ranks Most Over-Used Cliches in J-Pop Lyrics

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to say after reading about this. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

How to construct the most cliché modern jpop song, ENGAGE!

Oh baby, I have a feeling I could not express, I called your name to tell you that you are not alone, if we could go back to those early days I would want to protect you and never let go of your hand! oh baby, baby! (insert symph cords).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Oh baby, I have a feeling I could not express, I called your name to tell you that you are not alone, if we could go back to those early days I would want to protect you and never let go of your hand! oh baby, baby! (insert symph cords).

Spot on. Spot on. Kind of depressing lol
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Quick. Copyright it!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@FenixFiesta (and the people involved with this joke): LOL. Laughing Laughing

But still after reading this article the 2nd time, yeah I think J-pop lyric suffer from lack of creativity, I think Japanese songwriters should hire and collaborate with Scandanavian songwriters for future J-pop songs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Is it sad I can hear this song played to the tune of "Simple and Clean"?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I would like to add to the list "I'm always gazing at you" ("zutto mitsumete iru") and "I'm by your side" ("soba ni iru kara") I'm sure I could come up with more...

I've noticed lately that I can translate lyrics a lot faster than I used to. At first I thought my Japanese was getting better but I think it's really because so many Japanese songs use the same lines. Sometimes I feel like I'm turning out the same stuff over and over again...
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

But still after reading this article the 2nd time, yeah I think J-pop lyric suffer from lack of creativity, I think Japanese songwriters should hire and collaborate with Scandanavian songwriters for future J-pop songs.

Wait what do mean by "collaborate with Scandinavian songwriters"?Is Swedish pop music now considered cool or something?All of my previous Eurovision experiences tell me that if anything the Japan needs to get away from Scandinavian songwriters.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Wait what do mean by "collaborate with Scandinavian songwriters"?Is Swedish pop music now considered cool or something?All of my previous Eurovision experiences tell me that if anything the Japan needs to get away from Scandinavian songwriters.

Don't want to derail the topic, but check your PM. The PM will explain what I'm talking about.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I think this fits all love-songs Confused

"You give me hope/faith"

"I need you"
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I need japanese version of this
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I was reminded of a comedy mock-comertial in a radio station where it was a anounced a karaoke machine that appart from "fixing" your voice in something with pop appeal (this was before autotune kids) they offered you a library of cliche frases you could use to make a song and showed it in action, just like this Anime hyper some jokes never get old Anime hyper
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
rrizqiw wrote:

OHBABY言葉に出来ない気持ちに囚われている、
一人じゃないと君の名前を呼び掛けた、
もしあの若い頃の日々に戻れたら
君を守って、その手を絶対離さないだろう。OHBABY、BABY!

(Corrections welcome, btw) Very Happy
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
rrizqiw wrote:

OHBABY言葉に出来ない気持ちに囚われている、
一人じゃないと君の名前を呼び掛けた、
もしあの若い頃の日々に戻れたら
君を守って、その手を絶対離さないだろう。OHBABY、BABY!

(Corrections welcome, btw) Very Happy

According to the poll (and what I know of Jpop, sadly), 言葉に出来ない気持ちに囚われている should be "届かない想い" for "Feeling I can't express".

Also 一人じゃないと君の名前を呼び掛けた should probably be something like 一人じゃないと伝えるように君の名前を呼んだ (lit. "I called your name in order to convey that you are not alone")

This is fun. Laughing
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I disagree with this post completely. Mainstream pop lyrics suck, regardless of country and Scandinavians and I wouldn't trust non-Japanese speakers to write Japanese lyrics. Japanese artists already cover foreign pop songs every now and then, for example Nami Tamaki's debut album had a cover of A-teens' Perfect Match. I didn't think it was one of the better songs of that album.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2