• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - S P O R T S

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Giant Killing is still available on Hulu, which also has Cross Game, one of the best baseball series ever (the only one better is Touch, based upon a manga by the same author).
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
I second the recommendation for Cross Game. However, I don't see Giant Killing listed on Hulu.
xeroth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm amazed Kuroko's Basketball isn't on here. That's the one that made me realise that sports anime could be amazing even if you have no interest in sports.
Watching Ace of Diamond (baseball) at the moment and that's really fun plus Hajime no Ippo is a great boxing anime.
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
You had me worried for a second there. I almost thought you would accidentally pass up a chance to plug the delightful Chihayafuru.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Oofuri on the list. It's still one of my favorite series.
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Giant Killing is still available on Hulu, which also has Cross Game, one of the best baseball series ever (the only one better is Touch, based upon a manga by the same author).

I definitely second the Giant Killing recommendation. Already watched it a couple of times, didn't know it was available on Hulu, but I am in Canada, so I can't legally use Hulu.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation has Ping Pong?

I thought they stopped licensing sports anime after how little money Big Windup! drew.
iatheia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The only series on which I am decidedly "meh" on is Yowapeda. It felt a bit too set up in its development, like, they knew they couldn't make the main character to be overpowered, but it's just coincidence after coincidence that keeps him going.
Everything else, no second mind about it - brilliant. Definitely enough to convince most people to give sports series a chance. Particularly, Haikyuu, since it has a role as a savior of the genre in the US. Hopefully if it does well, the rest would be able to be licensed as well.
I do have one to add to the list, though, Hikaru no Go. Available on Hulu, too.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I liked Bamboo Blade myself. It wasn't about winning to become the best or winning the grand prize, rather it was about the sport of Kendo as a stepping stone for students as they emerge into adulthood. And it teaches a valuable lesson that sometimes failure is necessary in order to grow as a person. Loved it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I recommend Baby Steps, which is currently being streamed by Crunchyroll. It is a tennis anime, with kind of ugly character designs and cheap animation, but I think it does a good job with their focus on the sport, and the main characters are likable.

My ultimate sports anime recommendation is 1985's Touch (baseball), but, unfortunately, it is not legally available.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Yowamushi Pedal makes me wish there was another season of Overdrive. I like the characters and the more realistic tone more then I do of Yowamushi Pedal.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I try to watch sports Anime but I usually give up after the first "tournament arc," to this day the only sports Anime I've finished all the way is Wanna Be The Strongest In The World and that's only because I was a big pro wrestling fan in the past and it just got more absurd as the series went on.
Ranho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Ping Pong the Animation is the greatest series this ending season had. Character development and sheer awesomeness, it has it in spades!

Also Chihayafuru is so bloody awesome. The first season in particular was so cinematic and the seemingly one-sided romance/love triangle quite potent it more than earned that spot on the list.

Two great anime, that transcend genre for sure!

(anime watcher who avoids the sports genre almost as much as I avoid the mecha genre btw)
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of sports anime, i especially hate main characters/teams that never lose and endless, tedious tournaments.

But i did enjoy some shows which are more on the realistic side like Haikyuu!! (for now), Oofuri, Chihayafuru or Giant Killing. I very much prefer character development, training and (team) bonding to endless power-ups and ridiculous moves that defy gravity.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule. Currently i'm really enjoying Yowamushi Pedal mainly because it is so completely over-the-top in every way. It makes me roll my eyes a lot but i'm still having lots of fun. I was also quite fond of The Prince of Tennis back in the days before they killed the dinosaurs. Laughing

Ping Pong is a special case as i wouldn't really call it a sports anime. Like Bamboo said, it's more about friendship, growing up and life in general and they just happen to play ping pong. It's easily my favourite show of this season, i started watching it by chance and it stole my heart in an instant.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
FUNimation has Ping Pong?

I thought they stopped licensing sports anime after how little money Big Windup! drew.

It's a noitaminA show, so that probably overrode the fact that sports anime tend not to do well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4