• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Justin Time

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
It's cool to think that between ImaginAsian, MediaOCD, and ANN, Justin has been behind the curtain for all of these things that I've encountered all these years. I still recall being introduced to K-dramas with Couple in Trouble and Full House. I had no idea you did the authoring for I AM (SMTOWN in New York). Thanks for putting all of this together, Mr. Sevakis.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
It's cool to think that between ImaginAsian, MediaOCD, and ANN, Justin has been behind the curtain for all of these things that I've encountered all these years. I still recall being introduced to K-dramas with Couple in Trouble and Full House. I had no idea you did the authoring for I AM (SMTOWN in New York). Thanks for putting all of this together, Mr. Sevakis.

Actually didn't do that one, but thanks. Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
ColonelYao47 wrote:

Actually didn't do that one, but thanks. Very Happy

Justin, I wish you had handle I AM (SMTown in New York), you would've been more cooler to me seeing you handling K-pop stuff. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Still listening to the episode, but very interesting ANNCast so far. I thought I had a decent idea of the workflow, but I didn't think you'd need to maintain so much deprecated software. Though I don't have any plans to start mastering my own discs, hearing about all the little quirks of the formats (which I'm sure are mostly undocumented) was neat.

I always wondered what was up with those long stretches of black in Air Master, but just figured someone didn't understand how online streaming worked with commercial breaks.

It almost sounds like the developers just kinda gave up halfway through creating the standards for Blu-ray. I thought the "soft" subs on BD were just a pain to program, not that they just decided not to include the programming in the firmware.

By the way, Justin: did you ever get all videos working on the Crunchyroll apps?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting choice. I've gotten bits and pieces of what Justin does between this show and Answerman, so it's cool to get a full picture.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
On those single BD disc Sentai releases,

I bought MAOYU, and the video looks fine to me. I do not know how much of an endorsement this is, but the MAOYU release looks to me as good as a typical release from Sentai.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
Sorry, Justin. I guess asking you about the business-side of disc recalls wasn't exactly a good idea, ha. Its really nice to know that NIS cares enough, though!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
I'm only about 30 minutes in, but Justin's rant about Java on Blu-Ray reminded me of a story.

I used to be the editor of a website for Java developers, so I would always go to the JavaOne conference. Lots of us were interested in BD-J (Blu-Ray Disc Java), even though information was hard to come by. So we were psyched when the first people to put out BD-J discs did a session on how it went for them.

You gotta appreciate their candor, because they reported that it was pretty much a nightmare. Disney engineers showed off a "Space Invaders"-type game they had written for the Chicken Little Blu-Ray… and then reported that they had to put in little fixes and workarounds for each Blu-Ray player on the market at that time, because none of them could play the game as written, and each was incompatible in its own unique way.

Worse, there was a huge gulf between the performance of the PlayStation 3 — the most popular Blu-Ray player of the mid-2000s, but also a $600 computing workhorse — and standalone Blu-Ray players that would generally use the cheapest components possible to get a low price point. So some developers would fool themselves by writing BD-J code that worked great on PS3, only to have the same discs be practically unusable on el cheapo LG players.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
I listened to this entire thing last night after it came out. It was fascinating to listen to Justin explain the entire process and the issues that crop up. Also, you did a great job explaining everything, Justin. I have very little experience with any sort of video editing or mastering, and I was able to follow along with your techie details easily enough. I think you and Zac did a good job explaining it to those of us without much experience or knowledge in the area.

Thank you guys again for this podcast! I really enjoyed it!

Also, 27:45 - 27:55 (*Zac coughing* "Editing"). I couldn't help but chuckle. While it honestly doesn't bother me it did throw me off since I normally don't hear that in ANNCasts. There was another point later on when a question was started, coughing occurred, and the question had to be restarted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Justin, for the HDCAM tapes that have black segments for commercial breaks, does that imply that those are the TV masters? Would BD masters delivered via HDCAM also have those blank segments? Would the file versions e.g. ProRes also have those segments?

Also, for the file versions, I've read before that they used to ship them on hard drives. Do they still do that?

Lastly I used to be familiar with the old analog tape formats like 3/4 in. betamax, but lost touch complete with the digital tapes like HDCAM. You mentioned uncompressed or nearly so video--that's a lot of space! Are these ~40 GB per episode also per tape or can you fit 12 x 40GB or so on 1 tape? And is the colorspace RGB or are they still in YUV?
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
An interesting show to hear with all of the technical side of things, and the intricacies of your work Justin! You are but one of the many reasons NIS America is my favorite company putting out anime in the US. So, thank you for all the hard work you have done on their behalf.

It was cool to know that you are also contracted by Bang Zoom to author some of their Blu-rays as well. I know you mentioned on previous ANNCasts that you aren't always credited for the work you do, so it was nice to have some kind of exhaustive list of the companies who utilize your skills.

Although Discotek doesn't put out many titles to Blu-ray, they are very ambitious. As a small local company (to me anyway), they have my full support, and I'm glad they have a great partner to work with who will provide them with quality they can be assured by. I'm definitely looking forward to their Cagliostro Blu-ray, whenever they are able to get that one out. I've been hoping for that one for some time now.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Zacs said: "Who wants all of Urusei Yatsura (on BluRay)"?

Well, I'd love to buy a western release of that show on BluRay. It's just a great classic with some fantastic surrealist episodes (especially in the first half when Mamoru Oshii was directing).

Great Podcast as always.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Also, 27:45 - 27:55 (*Zac coughing* "Editing"). I couldn't help but chuckle. While it honestly doesn't bother me it did throw me off since I normally don't hear that in ANNCasts. There was another point later on when a question was started, coughing occurred, and the question had to be restarted.

Apologies, normally I am much more vigilant about catching stuff like this.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
No problems, Zac, I figured that it was accidentally overlooked. You do a really good job with editing your podcasts since this is the first time I've noticed something like this.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh good someone asked about the Discotech thing. I figured it was on the technical side possible but no one's done it because people are so ingrained on the original selling point of better picture quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2