• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Bayonetta 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
So, it's it over 9000 (when compared the first game)?
I look forward to checking out the play-throughs. I hope that this opens up some new story ideas and continuations from the first game. I guess Kamiya is doing pretty good on this franchise.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I look forward to checking out the play-throughs. I hope that this opens up some new story ideas and continuations from the first game. I guess Kamiya is doing pretty good on this franchise.

I thought Kamiya wasn't behind this game. At least he has spammed this message about 9001 times in twitter
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I thought Kamiya wasn't behind this game. At least he has spammed this message about 9001 times in twitter

The reason I mentioned Kamiya because, well he was responsible even though it's a different director this time. His name is still in the creds.

9001? Well, that's funny. Surprised
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Man, this game is awesome.

Since the time the game came out, I've apparently put in like 60 hours according to my WiiU log thing.

Anyway, I really like flow of the battles and the combo system (my favorite additions seems to be being able to dodge offset with umbrean spear/teleport, being able to umbrean spear/teleport while on the ground and being able to launch with after burner kick).

The game gives you a lot of ways to play it.

I slapped this video of me playing on the highest difficulty together in order to show off the kind of stuff you can do with the combo system and umbran climax:

(spoiler warning for character and weapons, I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S25tjac8eY&feature=youtu.be

Funnily, you can actually beat most (all) things without umbran climax, if you choose not to use it (I demonstrate it in the video)... but I like it because it lets you juggle bosses/large enemies outside of witch time (which I also demonstrate in the video).

And if you want something else, use the damn spoiler[robot] (also in the video).

The play on display is probably kinda sloppy, but it was a lot of fun to walk over enemies that at one point gave me trouble because I didn't know what their tells were.

That said, the most brutal enemies are in the latter half of the game... on inifnite climax, it's incredibly hard to react to their attacks (I'm currently at a point where I can platinum all levels on the third difficulty without having to save scam)... even moreso when you're playing as spoiler[Jeanne] given that witch time only activates on perfect timing and witch time is necessary for bosses at this point since you practically can't hit them outside of witch time.

This is easily the best money I've spent on a game in a long time and, had I not already had a WiiU, the game would justify the console's existence.

(much like how the original game, on its own, could justify the 360's existence... that said, there are already a ton of great games on the system and I'm currently a lot more pleased with the WiiU than I am with my PS4... still waiting for a bunch of poverty Japanese studios to release games that probably won't look or play significantly different from the last gen of stuff lol)

That said, I think it needs to be said that I feel like the WiiU port of Bayonetta 1 is actually kinda bad...

People say it's the "definitive" version, but I'm dropping inputs and there are places that play like an online connection.

I still think the 360 version is the best (and the PS3 version doesn't exist), though I should revisit at one point just to be sure.

ANYWAY... Bayonetta 2 was awesome. Probably not trekking new ground like The Wonderful 101 did, but still really really great.

(on that note, I feel like Wonderful 101 has a ridiculous execution barrier... that game is really hard and I respect people that can play it well)

I'm really glad Nintendo put up the money for it.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
This game is awesome. I love the combat.
My favorite things are the witch time and the portals to the challenges.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Glowing reviews of this game plus Hellena Taylor as the voice of Bayonetta might just be enough for me to buy a Wii U.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
So why didn't ya guys buy the first one when it was out? Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I didn't have an Xbox 360 yet. Have the 500GB bundle on the way from Amazon now.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
This game is the only reason I have been thinking of buying a Wii U. Glad to hear it holds up to the original.

(well that is sort of a lie.... I would buy the Wii U for Monster Hunter and Smash Bros. as well, but foxy Bayonetta was the tipping point for me. I think I might have to dish out the funds and get one.)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
I have a suggestion. Is it possible to talk about musical scores in conjunction with the game mechanics. Just a thought. The first games's score wasn't bad so how does the 2nd game's score stack up against the first. Just a thought. But glad to know that Bayonetta is still kicking booty, while showing booty. I wonder what Kamiya would have done if he was in the director's seat on this installment.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This game had a rather unfortunate release date, right between two Smash Bros. games.

I hope Bayonetta becomes plaayble as DLC in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS, because otherwise, she's going to get totally overshadowed by Smash hype. Yeah, that's the one thing that can overpower her.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Getting it in a couple days.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Glowing reviews of this game plus Hellena Taylor as the voice of Bayonetta might just be enough for me to buy a Wii U.

I'm in a similar place. I really liked the first game, especially with how it always felt like the devs were just having fun topping themselves all the time. Plus, I had no idea who voice of Bayonetta even was until recently, and finding out just made me want the game even more. Of course, since I am currently without a job and since this is literally the only game I want that is exclusive to the the WiiU, it'll have to wait.

enurtsol wrote:

If only more people did. I was pretty crushed when the first trailer came out only to have it be revealed as a WiiU exclusive.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

I'm in a similar place. I really liked the first game, especially with how it always felt like the devs were just having fun topping themselves all the time. Plus, I had no idea who voice of Bayonetta even was until recently, and finding out just made me want the game even more. Of course, since I am currently without a job and since this is literally the only game I want that is exclusive to the the WiiU, it'll have to wait.

I feel your pain. Just recently had enough cash to pay off my credit card balance and had enough left over to get an Xbox 360. Lucky for me my brother-in-law had an extra PS3 lying around that he just gave to me, so I can now catch up on the last generation of video games.

Haven't owned a new Nintendo console in ages (never played the N64, GameCube or Wii), so getting a Wii U will be like coming home. I'm happy to be able to play the latest Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.; Bayonetta 2 is just icing on the cake.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
y'know, having never played the original Bayonetta before I got this with 2, it was very interesting experience to play them side by side and make comparisons between the two of them. Overall, I think 2 is the better game. It's mostly a bunch of things that I felt that, while small, added up to consistently make annoyances that 2 thankfully fixed.

1: Why were Lock-on and Dodge on the same side of the controller in 1? Considering those are BOTH important to the game, flipping from one to the other on the fly or keeping two fingers on the same shoulder is just awkward. Changing that up so Lock-on was on ZL while dodge was on ZR was a WAY better choice. It just feels more natural

2: A THANKFUL ABSENCE OF GIMMICK LEVELS AND QTEs. Seriously, getting killed due to failing a QTE is a stupid idea and should be taken behind the shed and shot. The gimmick stages in the first game could also veer into outright irritating territory. 2 has a couple of those, but thankfully they're a lot more polished and fun (especially Chapter XIV which is pure, candy-coated AWESOME). A scaling back of the awkward platforming was also appreciated

3: Not punishing the player too hard. Considering how difficult these games are, using items should not be a penalty. Sure, if someone can get through a stage without using healing items, they should be rewarded. But punished? No, that's just silly.

4. Smoother learning curve. The first game kinda just tossed you at a wall and expected you to scale it right off the bat. 2 is easier with it, easing the player into gradually bigger and bigger challenges before going into absolutely nutzoid territory. It also helps that money is easier to get, building the combo meter isn't quite as obtuse, and there is a severe lack of enemies that have cheap attacks. It's a more natural progression that lets the player hone their skills more gradually before getting into bigger challenges.

5. Crispin von Badass Voice. Because he can make almost ANYTHING better with his mere presence.

All in all, it's kinda like the DMC3 to Bayonetta's vanilla DMC; a game with great ideas....that had a bunch of quibbles that just got in the way of the great ideas instead of supplementing them with its successor really improving things. Kamiya has ALWAYS had this problem; he makes a great framework, but then starts putting in unnecessary junk or odd design choices like the gimmick stages or not quite getting how to make a proper difficulty curve. The game that had this the LEAST was Okami and it's no surprise that it was by far his best. He can make a decent first draft, but it takes other people to really trim the fatty bits and make his ideas into something truly great. And they succeeded in doing that with Bayonetta 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2