• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Doraemon Manga Volume in 8 Years Ships in December

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I was disappointed. I thought this was about an English release for the Doraemon manga.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Aw, I was disappointed. I thought this was about an English release for the Doraemon manga.

Same. And it's a shame there haven't been any new dubbed episodes in roughly two months now.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Same. And it's a shame there haven't been any new dubbed episodes in roughly two months now.

Probably due to low ratings, the people who really wanted to watch it have realized it's ruined forever and either went to fansubs or went on with their life watching other anime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I liked the English dub. There were some odd casting choices, but I felt it kept the spirit of the base material while keeping it accessible to the kids who might not necessarily be familiar with Japanese culture.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Im surprised Ann isn't reporting on the Newest Doreamon film being released in the states http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-stand-by-me-doraemon-1201352301/
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Judging by the US Doraemon's Facebook page, the property has not yet been given up on. I don't know what the ratings were, but Doraemon had a prominent presence at New York Comic Con this year (after the TV show had finished airing) as well as several cultural festivals and that kind of thing. New merchandise is popping up like T-shirts solicited through Hot Topic and figures imported from Japan through Diamond, the primary distributor for comic shops.

I would not give up on Doraemon in America just yet. It hasn't actually been that long since the first season ended on TV. I know there have been some English manga released digitally, but it would be nice if Doraemon's partnership with Viz would result in print volumes!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:

Im surprised Ann isn't reporting on the Newest Doreamon film being released in the states http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-stand-by-me-doraemon-1201352301/

It has a chance since it's 3DCG.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if these stories are any different from the ones published in the 藤子・F・不二雄 大全集 (Fujiko F. Fujio Complete Works Encyclopedia Set) I have? I would assume not, since this set is supposed to be "complete" but does anyone know for sure?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Probably due to low ratings, the people who really wanted to watch it have realized it's ruined forever and either went to fansubs or went on with their life watching other anime.

If they think it's "ruined forever" just because of a few silly edits, then wow. That's kind of an immature way to approach the dub. I wonder though, is there somewhere I can see official viewer ratings for the English dub of Doraemon?

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I liked the English dub. There were some odd casting choices, but I felt it kept the spirit of the base material while keeping it accessible to the kids who might not necessarily be familiar with Japanese culture.

You got that right. In fact, I call the dub cast "perfect" in my book, since everyone fits their character for me. The best part is the main four and Doraemon's actors have all voiced in Tales games before, so it's easy to remember right off the bat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1