• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. With today's EO announcements I was just wondering whether I should get Persona Q to tide me over until EO2U.

I think I'll be giving it a miss. I liked P3P, but this is missing the real protagonist (my headcanon). I didn't play P4 because of how it handled certain characters' stories. And without the story meat one Persona game feels hardly any different from another. And it looks like the fun of EO, exploring pretty dungeons, making up your own characters' stories, isn't there either.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I am buying this for shure soon but where did the A- for graffics come from ?. They look barely decent to me.
Who cares about story in an EO clone anyway. Have ALL of you played Persona 2 (EP is good too) ? My favourite Atlus game by far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I am buying this for shure soon but where did the A- for graffics come from ?. They look barely decent to me.
Who cares about story in an EO clone anyway. Have ALL of you played Persona 2 (EP is good too) ? My favourite Atlus game by far.

I've played Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Other than the story and characters the game has aged pretty damn poorly. The negotiation system is just too damn monotonous which really just drags the game down. I'll be sure to get this whenever I get around to getting a 3DS.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I've played Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Other than the story and characters the game has aged pretty damn poorly. The negotiation system is just too damn monotonous which really just drags the game down. I'll be sure to get this whenever I get around to getting a 3DS.

Quoting for truth.

I have Eternal Punishment for the PS1, and that game hasn't aged much better. Having to grind for both experience and Tarot cards is a chore.

I just bought Alpha Sapphire, though, so I'm gonna have to take a miss on Persona Q. I really wanted to play with the S.E.E.S. members again, considering how much I loved Persona 3 back in the day. Someday... Rolling Eyes
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

I'm 12 hours into the game and I find the graphics to be great for 3DS. From the character/monster models to the gorgeous labyrinth's, its well made.

'Mad Bull give you wings!" - Rei
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Handheld games always look worse in screenshots.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the beginning, the combination of Etrian's tight HP margins and Persona's elemental vulnerabilities will have enemies KOing a character faster than you can respond.

Oh, that sort of thing is so annoying, where the beginning of the game is the most difficult part. My patience is shorter at the beginning of a game, when I haven't invested into the gameplay or the story or the characters or visual style much, and since there's less to lose if I simply stop playing, I'm more likely to quit then and there. Not to mention it will scare away people who might not be used to such maddening difficulty. The Super Mario platformers always begin almost mind-numbingly easy but often get devilishly difficult from midway and onwards (especially Super Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros. U). The beginning of World of Warcraft has you level up and gain skills like mad. It makes the player feel powerful and in charge, ready to take on anything, and when things DO get difficult later on, they'll have understood the mechanics, and if they lose, they'll feel careless, not weak.

This was something I repeatedly came across among people who tried Shin Megami Tensei IV. It had that brutal beginning (is this an Atlus thing?) that of the 5 or 6 people I know who've played it, only one of them did not give up before reaching Tokyo (which is about one-eighth through the game, I'd estimate).

residentgrigo wrote:

It always came off to me that Atlus has never been good at detailed, high-polygon graphics. I've noticed this ever since I saw the horrible draw distance in Snowboard Kids.

The 3DS has a low polygon limit though, so perhaps it's very good relative to other 3DS games.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I've played Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Other than the story and characters the game has aged pretty damn poorly.

What more do you want ? You also forgot the soundtrack'Cool' and the Hitler boss fight. We germans love him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
I've played Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Other than the story and characters the game has aged pretty damn poorly.

What more do you want ? You also forgot the soundtrack'Cool' and the Hitler boss fight. We germans love him.

A system that wasn't as monotonous(the game was a walk in the park thought so I was able to limit doing it as much). The soundtrack was good from what I remembered. And the game does get extra points for having Steven Seagal in it Laughing
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Persona music is better than a B+
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Man DAT Persona music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6irgNGCqBws
THIS franchise is now over the FF series (VII is still godlike) in my eyes but SE is making a comeback. J-RPGs are on an upswing. Type-Zeros story is golden and the soundtrack and japanese VA´s are epic. Hack your psp now or joint my PS4 club.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
And it looks like the fun of EO, exploring pretty dungeons, making up your own characters' stories, isn't there either.

Do people seriously base their purchasing decisions of a single review??? There are many reviews for this game that say the gameplay is absolutely fantastic and uses the EO mechanics brilliantly...

Quote:

Never judge the graphics of a 3DS game (or most handheld games in general) from screenshots...
Garudyne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Good review.

As for the game... not buying it. I'm sick of all the Persona 4 (and to an extent persona 3) milking. I like the original P4 game, but everything that came after that with its name on them are just meh in my eyes.

My personal favorite in the Persona and SMT series will always be P2 (both games. Funny thing is, I played P4 first, and consider its gameplay better than all the older Persona games, yet P2 still became my favorite. It's because what I want the most are good stories with tension and charming characters). Btw, I'm still waiting for an anime adaptation... *hair slowly turns grey*.

residentgrigo: That version of Maya's theme is good, but I prefer the psp version of it, and I like the sad version of her theme even more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xITvmGWk7Vs
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
I really want this game. But I really don't want to pay $50 for the privilege. What's up with this game's price point?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
Garudyne wrote:
It's because what I want the most are good stories with tension and charming characters). Btw, I'm still waiting for an anime adaptation... *hair slowly turns grey*.

Mine actualy is but lets hope by a new team. Madhouse !!!
I played the PSX version on my psp way back in the day and Jun Kurosu is a better character then Kanji. There i said it !

Lets hope that this won´t be all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Gk-onicEc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2