• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikku45

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
I think you need new reviwers, Ones that have different taste. I would like to see ratings that are different, not all around the same number. Some people complain that the show is just fan service, then on a different review they like the show even though its just fan service :\.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
So is this season "Winter 2015" or "Winter 2014?" Survey for daily streaming reviews is "Winter 2014 Edition" and preview guide starts with "Welcome to Anime News Network's Winter 2014 Preview Guide!", but in the title it's "Winter 2015."
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Something that I've been wondering about since those Review Surveys began is why One Piece isn't on the list? It clearly has an audience here, and offers themes and material that are review-worthy, IMO.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
One Piece probably isn't an option on the survey because, IIRC, none of the streaming review staff are up-to-date with new episodes. Shippuden is because we actually do have someone up-to-date on it.

rikku45 wrote:
I think you need new reviwers, Ones that have different taste. I would like to see ratings that are different, not all around the same number. Some people complain that the show is just fan service, then on a different review they like the show even though its just fan service :\.

Cases where the ratings are all around the same number are the exception, rather than the rule.

As for the fan service thing, I don't see what the big deal is. There are good fan service and bad fan service shows, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
So is this season "Winter 2015" or "Winter 2014?" Survey for daily streaming reviews is "Winter 2014 Edition" and preview guide starts with "Welcome to Anime News Network's Winter 2014 Preview Guide!", but in the title it's "Winter 2015."
It's Winter 2015
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Reviews like these make me wonder why your writers even bother getting involved with anime when they clearly hate it, and are proud to do so.

Seriously, Hope Chapman "hatewatched" an entire season, and now starts "hatewatching" ANOTHER season, and seems full of glee that it's supposedly terrible (despite having plenty of fans). Wow. She seem to be having a little bit too much fun here for me to think she's doing anything other than trolling.

Seriously, ANN staff, can we not get some anime FANS to write reviews? Seriously??
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Seriously, ANN staff, can we not get some anime FANS to write reviews? Seriously??

And I'm pretty sure all of them or majority are anime fans. Just sayin.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
@MidoriUma

The idea that to be an anime fan you have to love all anime without question is just ridiculous. Even if you only watch anime, some would still be better than others, and some would still be bad. Further, I fail to see the point of having critics who uncritically accept everything.

Hope did say that the show in question had gotten to the point of being so bad it was good. I see no problem with her watching the whole thing.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Good lord! Funimation's picked up so many titles this year! Barely any left for Crunchyroll.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Reviews like these make me wonder why your writers even bother getting involved with anime when they clearly hate it, and are proud to do so.

Seriously, Hope Chapman "hatewatched" an entire season, and now starts "hatewatching" ANOTHER season, and seems full of glee that it's supposedly terrible (despite having plenty of fans). Wow. She seem to be having a little bit too much fun here for me to think she's doing anything other than trolling.

So then I guess you're just ignoring the many other shows that Hope gave anywhere from a 3-5 rating?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
The "you guys just hate everything!" stuff always comes from people who choose to ignore the mountain of mostly-positive to outright-positive reviews we publish by a big variety of people.

In any given television season there are 25-30+ shows. If you seriously expect everything to get middling-to-positive reviews, here's the truth: not absolutely everything will be a smash hit or a critical favorite. You wouldn't expect every single new sitcom or drama on American TV to get B+ reviews from a team of 6-7 critics, so why are you expecting or even wanting that to happen with anime?

I think people are just straight-up used to the sheer level of anime production we're at. I'm not sure how long most commenters have been anime fans, but 175-200+ new shows per year is insane. But if you step back and look at that number - nearly 200 new shows in a year - and you still think it's reasonable to expect that that level of output is going to generate 200 B+ or otherwise "shrug, it's fine" reviews, I'm not sure what to tell you. There are duds, like there are in any medium.

This is what it always boils down to and has, as long as I've been doing this, which is over 15 years at this point: the show they like got slammed by one or two people so they ignore the 3 other positive reviews to tell us that we should fire everyone for being so negative and "hire some REAL anime fans".

All of it is code for "hire people who will represent my exact opinion on everything" and I ignore it. I'm happy with the diversity of opinion we have and I believe any fair look at what we publish will bear that out.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:

You're being so unfair there that it hurts. The fact that they don't like every single anime out there doesn't mean they aren't anime fans.

And seriously, are you really going to ignore that Theron gave the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero Season 2 a 3.5? What do you want, one or two 5s?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Or they really do just like all the ones they watch, or at least try to like them. I know when I was new to anime, they all had that exotic novelty that got me excited about every little thing that came out. When that novelty wore off, an anime series needed to actually have quality writing in order for me to like it, more so as I continued to watch. (It's really the same with any medium.) Common criticism from these reviews are that a show is too derivative, lacks ambition, or does not make any attempt to stand out--if someone is new to anime, they'll be blind to all of those, and they might not understand why these shows are being slammed.

In addition, there will be people who identify themselves as being part of a club, or they think an anime fan is supposed to like them all, and put up an air as such for the purpose of looking like they like them all. These are the people who know an anime is bad, but will try to find something to like about them anyway. I met someone like that in another forum I visited, and she drove me nuts (though more because she did the opposite for western animation, finding something to dislike about any cartoon not from Japan and refusing to enjoy any of them).

And both of these groups WILL genuinely say that all of those 175 shows or so coming out this year are good.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
All of it is code for "hire people who will represent my exact opinion on everything" and I ignore it. I'm happy with the diversity of opinion we have and I believe any fair look at what we publish will bear that out.

When people say that I believe they mean how Theron is the only ANN staff member who will try to give any kind of sexual show a fair shake, and the rest have very obvious biases against those kinds of shows and tend to be quick to leap to cries of sexism and misogyny. Maybe they want to see someone who actually enjoy light novel series, or fanservice series, or long running shounen series, or any areas the rest of the staff doesn't show much interest in. Ironically, Theron is the only one who gave Yuri Kuma Arashi a fair viewing because everyone else was focused on praising the credentials of the creator despite the show being the kind of misogynistic and pandering series that would usually be lashed at if it was done by someone else.

It is a bit of a nice change of pace to see someone doing Naruto Shippuden weekly views. Those kinds of shows generally go ignored on ANN, so that's appreciated.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Just ignore'em Zac. I've always liked these reviews. Everyone else just acts like a little whiny bitch on these forums.

'Sides, you want honest reviews about title where nothing is perfect? Or do you want a perfect world where everyone's huggy and kissy and licking Jimmy Fallon's asshole like he's the Goddamn Second Coming?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 38