• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyavi is Making an Appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't be any worse than Miku on Letterman.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

Spoken by someone who absolutely has no idea who Miyavi is apparently. He's pretty much a world famous guitarist and a damn good one at that. I dont like all of his music, some strays a little too far into pop stuff nowadays, but he is by far one of the best guitarists alive.

Taylor guitars show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeNRiuAGQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag82YuWCLhY
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
I hadn't heard of him before seeing the movie, but I did think he was quite good in it. It would be absolutely terrifying to be a prisoner of someone that unpredictable -- whenever he called on you, you'd have no idea what response would be acceptable and which one would get you beaten within an inch of your life.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Nice timing from the link, The Fine Bros just released a new video called "Teens React to J-pop":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8p3i4O_7G4

FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

Spoken by someone who absolutely has no idea who Miyavi is apparently. He's pretty much a world famous guitarist and a damn good one at that. I don't like all of his music, some strays a little too far into pop stuff nowadays, but he is by far one of the best guitarists alive.

Taylor guitars show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeNRiuAGQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag82YuWCLhY

I said it couldn't be worse. That means it might be better.
kirac91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
I couldn't be anymore of being jobless lol xD so glad i get too catch this episode for once xD lol also I've miyavi ever since i was in highschool , he truly is an amazing guitarist and i've seen a couple movies he played GANTZ being one of them lol
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

I said it couldn't be worse. That means it might be better.

Oh I know. Comparing Miku to Miyavi is honestly a crime. Im pretty musically open, but Miku just sounds absolutely terrible. Which is a shame, because the backing band can play decently. But the shrillness of Miku is unlistenable.

The Jpop kids react thing though is not the same style as Miyavi either. When people typically say Jpop or Kpop, its boy band stuff. Besides pop just being a moniker for what is essentially popular or on mainstream radio, Miyavi is definitely more fitting in the rock genre, though he throws in alot of other influences.

{Edited your post due to excessive quoting. Please review the link and avoid anymore excessive quoting. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Man talking about making a transition, but why is this relevant here? I mean he's a Japanese rockstar going into acting. I don't know why it seems like I heard of him, but then...I don't know this dude.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
kirac91 wrote:
I couldn't be anymore of being jobless lol xD so glad i get too catch this episode for once xD lol also I've miyavi ever since i was in highschool , he truly is an amazing guitarist and i've seen a couple movies he played GANTZ being one of them lol

Live-action Gantz was actually Kazunari Ninomiya, of Arashi and Letters from Iwo Jima fame.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
While Miyavi is making his round on U.S. talk shows,I doubt he's going to be all that popular back in his homeland. His first Hollywood movie,"Unbroken" doesn't exactly put the Japanese in the best light. Both this movie and "The Great Raid" tells how brutal the Japanese military was during World War II. I sincerely doubt that these two movies are going to be on any Japanese movie critic's must see lists. They might be popular elsewhere in Asia but not in Japan.
I hope Mr. Miyavi enjoys his fifteen minutes of fame. He may find that he may have lost a lot of fans back home in his native land.

Edit:I've changed it from "Unforgiven" to "Unbroken." I hope this clears everything up.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
I'm so confused, why are people mistaking Miyavi for Nino in this thread?

(on that note, Snowmaster1, did you mean the Clint Eastwood-directed WWII film that featured Nino [a.k.a. Kazunari Ninomiya], Letters from Iwo Jima?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
My mistake,poonk. I should have said "Unbroken,"not "Unforgiven." Hopefully,the mods will let me correct my mistake and hope that they'll let this post go through.

[Edit:Have changed earlier comment above from "Unforgiven" to "Unbroken." I'm sorry for the error.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1