• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - Ninja Slayer From Animation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Personally looking forward to this series because of the premise and one of my recent favorite studios. Only slight shame is that we probably won't see high quality stream until next year.

I also wonder if this will be a 2 cour with the amount of material it has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Seconding that. Smile
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
I thought this was an adaptation of an old work from decades before, but I'm probably wrong since the name is very close to "Ninja Scroll" and the premise is completely different anyway.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I thought this was an adaptation of an old work from decades before, but I'm probably wrong since the name is very close to "Ninja Scroll" and the premise is completely different anyway.

Nah, it's based on a fairly recent Japanese novel series that sort of parodies American ninja comic books and stories.

There's this whole metafiction around the books that it was originally an American indie comic by two Americans, which a couple of Japanese guys found and started translating line-by-line on twitter.

It's got intentionally bad use of Japanese, weird character names, and lots of over-the-top cyberpunk ninja karate action. Real Ultimate Power.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Common metafictive devices in literature include:

A story about a writer who creates a story
A story that features itself (as a narrative or as a physical object) as its own prop or MacGuffin
A story containing another work of fiction within itself
A story addressing the specific conventions of story, such as title, character conventions, paragraphing or plots
A novel where the narrator intentionally exposes him or herself as the author of the story
A book in which the book itself seeks interaction with the reader
A story in which the readers of the story itself force the author to change the story
Narrative footnotes, which continue the story while commenting on it
A story in which the characters are aware that they are in a story
A story in which the characters make reference to the author or his previous work
These elements of metafiction are similar to devices used in metacinematic technique

From it's Wiki for those wonder what metafiction is.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm so ready for this. I've been in desperate need of another anime to get hyped over for the last year or so.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this. It looks like it's going be a lot of fun.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The series seems to be so wrapped-up in itself (parody-wise) that you just know it's going to be spectacular
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
The series seems to be so wrapped-up in itself (parody-wise) that you just know it's going to be spectacular

Yeah Very Happy

And given that, I further expect it to because it's perfect that Trigger's the one doing it since they are one of the few studios I expect to totally make something like that come out spectacular Smile
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Just like everybody on this post, I too am looking forward to checking this out. This look promising. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1