• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer GN 3-4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a kitten

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
You're behind! Omnibus 3 (vols. 5-6) just came out.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
a kitten wrote:
You're behind! Omnibus 3 (vols. 5-6) just came out.

That's good news.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
Firstly, let me say that I can see where the problems with the art comes from. But, I tend to overlook it as I find myself getting sucked in by the story.

I'm thankful that Seven Seas will be releasing this series to its conclusion, very sad to hear that it has bombed for them. They will always have a special place in my heart for releasing this series.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
Honestly never had a problem with the art in any of Satoshi's works, yeah, it's not the best art out there in terms of details and whatnot but I feel like the simplicity gives it a certain charm that really makes it standout because it fits the story so well.
I'm not in awe with the art but at the same time I feel like I don't want to be.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
]
I'm thankful that Seven Seas will be releasing this series to its conclusion, very sad to hear that it has bombed for them.

Seven Seas has quickly become one of my favorite publishers. I love the quirkiness of their titles and how so many are released in omnibus form. I'm sorry to hear that Lucifer... isn't doing well, because it's so unique and enjoyable. I can't wait to read its conclusion. Thank you Seven Seas!

Very nice review too.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Firstly, let me say that I can see where the problems with the art comes from. But, I tend to overlook it as I find myself getting sucked in by the story.

I'm thankful that Seven Seas will be releasing this series to its conclusion, very sad to hear that it has bombed for them. They will always have a special place in my heart for releasing this series.

How is "bombed" defined these days? Volume 1 and 3 are still ranking in Amazon's top 100 manga; Plus it took several weeks to get volumes 1 and 2 back in stock and I ordered both of them before the release date, 1 from Amazon and 2 from Rightstuf. I learned my lesson well and volume 3's in the mail now because I ordered it when it was first offered.

What were they expecting, Attack on Lucifer?

I don't know about the art being crappy, I prefer the term "distinctive" here as I've always got the feeling that Mizukami liked to use bodies merely as vessels for the eyes.

I became a fan of the series when volume two was released in Japan but volumes 3 and 4 are character dumps... they're good character dumps though, especially when the series points out how silly it is to add so many new characters so quickly. "We're going to have 12 knights, let's get this over with." "Oh look, there's 8...."

I still miss a table of contents but I suppose they couldn't be bothered to number the pages with two volume collections, there are still some troublesome language problems, not quite as bad as blindly translating the text into English but language's missing a lot of elegance and has some questionable syntax choices like "death toll" and "sin".

The two "Master" chapters are the highlight of this collection but not when I first read it; It only makes sense after some more reveals. Oh right, this reminds me why I want a table of contents because certain earlier chapters get thematic sequels; It's just a matter of convenience that Swordfish Knight 2 follows 1 directly but narratively speaking, there was no reason it needed to do so as each chapter had its own flashback device. It was just done this way this time because it amused the author as each device came complete with its own jokes.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
I can't really say why but it's about this time I couldn't maintain enough interest to keep reading. The dramatic death a little earlier felt especially flat to me.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

How is "bombed" defined these days? Volume 1 and 3 are still ranking in Amazon's top 100 manga; Plus it took several weeks to get volumes 1 and 2 back in stock and I ordered both of them before the release date, 1 from Amazon and 2 from Rightstuf. I learned my lesson well and volume 3's in the mail now because I ordered it when it was first offered.

What were they expecting, Attack on Lucifer?

Doubt that they were expecting massive numbers. But, whatever they were expecting, they didn't get.
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/558525029441622016
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/570768859038289921
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/575386318374486017

Those were from back in March, but no word on whether or not sales have improved.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Mizukami has the remarkable talent for turning generic shounen stories into engaging, thoughtful works that both cleave to and defy genre stereotypes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1