• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daredevil Showrunner to Pen Warner's Live-Action Akira

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
They're talking about the good "Daredevil" on Netflix, right? If so, color me sold.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
more rumours... more speculation... more cancellations... more screenplays... more rewrites... more director changes... more producer changes... cancelled... greenlit.... cancelled again... actors casted... recasted.... will this ever end? tell us something that is concrete or don't say it at all.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
They're talking about the good "Daredevil" on Netflix, right?

Yeah, the one that Kevin Feige promised "wouldn't be as gritty and dark" as Warner/DC. Rolling Eyes
(Well, maybe not as dark as Zack Snyder.)

And yes, I've long since put the mythical live-action Akira in the "Roger Rabbit sequel" category of "Movies producers continue to believe in down through the years, because they want to believe it'll exist someday" projects, even though their era has passed them by.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
They're talking about the good "Daredevil" on Netflix, right? If so, color me sold.

It's the 2015 one. Still, there's a lot of western live action anime films coming out. GITS, Akira, Death Note, possibly Bebop. I hope one of them happens to be good.

Just one. That's all I need to restore a little bit of hope in humanity.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Just like a zombie, this thing that Hollywood is still obsessed in trying to get off the ground for year has trouble staying dead.

But, after knowing that this new guy is one of the writers of the critically acclaimed Daredevil series from Netflix, this sounds like it may have some promise this time.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Good creator on something that might be a mess because the people above probably still don't want to do it right way. Maybe he actually breath some good life into project but i'm not holding my breath. This reminds me of The Stand rumors going around as Showtime series followed by movie. Why do something so half ass? Hollywood so has lost it in a lot of places.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I'd rather just see this anime adaptations done as premium network series. Perhaps a smaller budget than a movie, but you won't lose graphic depictions because of PG-13 and things won't have to be condensed to 120 minutes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and the other thing about Daredevil is that it's more 'real world'-based than other superhero comics. [Unless you like laughing at Alan Moore's parody of Frank Miller's take on the series, of course. Rolling Eyes ] So I'm not sure how that writer would tackle the fantasy aspects of the story.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
I guess if there HAD to be an Akira movie you could certainly do worse.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
wasn't the last bit of news related to this that the author or someone tied to the manga was going to do it? geeh seriously warner bothers this is getting monotonous
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
To be honest I didn't mind that version where it was set in Manhattan, only owned by the Japanese. Right there was a way you could move it to America, yet keep ties to its origin.

People may not like it taking place in America, but hey When Marnie Was There was set in Norfolk now it's set in Kushiro. No one complained about that. Samething with the Borrowers.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:13 am Reply with quote
Marshal: They didn't complain about Marnie, because it still respected the source material.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
New Daredevil seems good

GATSU wrote:

Marshal: They didn't complain about Marnie, because it still respected the source material.

Nobody has read the source material.......... except the Brits Laughing

Then there's Howl's Moving Castle
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Nobody wants to leave it alone. That son of a bitch!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
If Warner throws everything they produced on Akira during the last 10 years into the trash and Ramirez (the man golden) can start from scratch and maybe even have a talk with Otomo then we will be cooking. An R is a must but the Japanese setting needs to be kept here more then in any other project or they need to reinvent the basic story too.
A "premium" 17+ TV mini series would make more sense as i already have my definitive Akira film and a more direct adaptation of the manga would be something different. Oh well.

This, (Not) Macross and the probably dead Alita / Monster are the only America re-adaptation that have the chance to be good so let´s hope that as many of them as possible will survive their journey on the silver screen. I wonder when the American version of Titans will be announced and when Eva will be resurrected again.
Daredevil is the best thing Marvel studios came up with but Ramirez wasn´t the leading force and season 2 will be his vision. The Punisher will probably show up Very Happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2