• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Laws of the Universe Part 0 Religious Anime Film's Promotional Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
Why does it say "Religious Anime" wtf. It doesn't look like it's trying to convert people and from the summary it just seems like your average Alien flick. Am I missing something??? EDIT: Upon further research it seems the creator of this film, along with other similar films, is basically a guy who started a movement to create a new religion. His name is Ryuuhou Ookawa and he has published hundreds of books about his new religion and even somehow incorporated them into anime films......wtf. I am for some reason curious in watching this now...

Last edited by Jajanken on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Daisuke Namikawa is in this? But he's still a top-tier male seiyuu!

The previous film had some seiyuu I'd heard of but whose careers had peaked some time before (i.e. Miki Itoh, a.k.a. Eiko "A-ko" Magami from Project A-Ko).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
I'm always natually suspicious about any "religion" that has "science" in its title. Laughing This is cheesey enough to be enjoyable. That AMV; I haven't heard such a cheesey song for an anime since "Talent For Love". Wink Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Outside of the occasional anime about Bible stories or maybe some series emphasizing native Japanese religions, this is among the only time I think we can call a film/series a religious anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Outside of the occasional anime about Bible stories or maybe some series emphasizing native Japanese religions, this is among the only time I think we can call a film/series a religious anime.

Aum Shinrikyo made some animated propaganda IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Aum Shinrikyo made some animated propaganda IIRC.

Yes they did!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Checking the cast list for The Mystical Laws, I see another Daisuke, Daisuke Hirakawa, who plays Rei Ryugazaki on Free!, was amongst the cast, so I guess it wasn't all C-list seiyuu or has-beens as I was implying earlier.

I don't know, it may just be a well-paying gig for seiyuu and they might not necessarily endorse what it promotes, but it's like finding out that one my favourite western celebrities is a Scientologist. It shouldn't affect my opinion of them, but, on some level, it does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamui85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Checking the cast list for The Mystical Laws, I see another Daisuke, Daisuke Hirakawa, who plays Rei Ryugazaki on Free!, was amongst the cast, so I guess it wasn't all C-list seiyuu or has-beens as I was implying earlier.

I don't know, it may just be a well-paying gig for seiyuu and they might not necessarily endorse what it promotes, but it's like finding out that one my favourite western celebrities is a Scientologist. It shouldn't affect my opinion of them, but, on some level, it does.

My thoughts exactly happy science= Japanese scientology
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1