• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Film Gold Movie Opens in Japan on July 23

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
Oda as the executive producer? I'm definitely excited for this
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Oda writing the story for the film, it was great the first time, OK the second time, but now the novelty has worn off. The best films were the ones that had their own none canon story, which could go in their own direction.
xMemorie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Oda writing the story for the film, it was great the first time, OK the second time, but now the novelty has worn off. The best films were the ones that had their own none canon story, which could go in their own direction.

Film Z was by far better than Strong World, and by far the best One Piece Movie.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Which ones are those? The only "non-canon" OP movie that is really any good is Baron Omatsuri. I think most would say that Strong World and Film Z are much better than every other One Piece movie.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

The movie is being written by Tsutomu Kuroiwa. Not by Oda.
Says it right there in the article.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
"Gold" huh? Is the story going to have some sort of connection to Gol D. Roger?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
Of the original one piece movies before strong world, while I wouldn't consider them special, but I did like 4, parts of 5 and 7 (specifically for how goofy it was) along with 6 just fine.

I am glad to see a different writer tackle this though, Strong world had great visuals and One Piece fitting setting but a weak story, while film Z had a better one, just wasn't fully executed that well ( lot of unnecessary fodder around Luffy and Z's conflict, oh look cameos). I think Oda overseeing it will be an overall better idea and hopefully we'll get a product that's a great one piece movie and not just "a great movie that feels so little like the actual series"
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Which ones are those? The only "non-canon" OP movie that is really any good is Baron Omatsuri. I think most would say that Strong World and Film Z are much better than every other One Piece movie.

2, 4, 5 and 6(the best one of them all)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Ah! I can tell one story detail from that poster: spoiler[Monkey D. Luffy will be in it.]
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
My interest has died down heavily. Unless it's canon, it really doesn't mean much, even though by the title, it seems to be based on Roger. But because it isn't being written by Oda himself, the chances of its being canon are slim to none, and slim just left town. Feels like a total waste to me.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MysticLeviathan wrote:
My interest has died down heavily. Unless it's canon, it really doesn't mean much, even though by the title, it seems to be based on Roger. But because it isn't being written by Oda himself, the chances of its being canon are slim to none, and slim just left town. Feels like a total waste to me.

I guess all the movies must have been a waste, since none of them are canon.

And before you mention it, no, Strong World is not canonical.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
MysticLeviathan wrote:

I will mention it, Strong World is canon, Shiki was a character who actually fought with Gol D. Rodger.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I will mention it, Strong World is canon, Shiki was a character who actually fought with Gol D. Rodger.

Shiki, the character, is canon because he was referenced in the manga.

But the events of Strong World have never been mentioned at any point in the story. There are also a few inconsistencies that would result from the movie being canon, such as Zoro not being in poor fighting condition after the events of Thriller Bark.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

true, though a lot of people ould say that Z is superior. and I have to agree. sure its ending leaves something to be desired, especially when it came to the fate of admiral z and his female lieutenant ,but overall its definitely better than strong world and Z's villain is a lot better than the Caribbean hack golden lion shiki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
MysticLeviathan wrote:

Correct, every single movie is a waste. And I know full well that neither Strong World nor Film Z are canon, even though Oda had involvement. It will be similar to this.

The thing about films is they're great little side story fun things, meaningless to the overarching plot, but just a fun adventure, they're meaningless, but at the same time they aren't representing themselves as anything but situations that happen that are totally unrelated to the overarching plot of One Piece. The problem I"m having is, assuming this new film is based on Roger, is it takes an actual canon concept and just wastes it by not being canon. Even though it seems we'll be getting a small canon chapter like we did with Z and Strong World, it's still a total waste that the entire movie isn't canon when Oda can do so much in a movie that could take 10+ chapter if he were to draw it all out into the manga. That's why it's a waste.

Oda's being incredibly arrogant by treating the animated content as second class, when it's actually a superior medium from a technical standpoint. I really wish Oda would do what Kishimoto did and have a movie that's pure canon. Having canon movies once every 2 or 3 years would allow Oda to put in things he can fit into the manga for whatever reason. There are so many possibilities in this huge world Oda's built, and the only problem is Oda's refusing to fill it up with canonical movies and animated specials and such. His excuse is "I don't want the manga readers to feel left out", which is total garbage when the only way to read the canonical manga chapters that are written for the movie is by going to see the movies. It's just an arrogance from Oda that really hurts his series and brand imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2