• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Taking Turns

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Interesting thoughts on the Turn-A Gundam films; I recently finished the series proper, myself. It was my first ever Gundam series!

Speaking for the show at least, I actually enjoyed its optimism and found it to be rather sweet. I did find the ending to be surprisingly bittersweet though;spoiler[ Loren and especially Sochie seem to get the short end of the stick, and it seemed odd how Deanna is content living on Earth forever in a platonic relationship with Loran?] Maybe I misinterpreted some things, but that left me a little sad.

Still, it was a fine show and i recommend it.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice update on the shelves, some good titles there that I have or used to like Chibi Vampire/Karin and some other series. X3
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Speaking for the show at least, I actually enjoyed its optimism and found it to be rather sweet. I did find the ending to be surprisingly bittersweet though;spoiler[ Loren and especially Sochie seem to get the short end of the stick, and it seemed odd how Deanna is content living on Earth forever in a platonic relationship with Loran?] Maybe I misinterpreted some things, but that left me a little sad.

Spoilers for the end of Turn A follow:

spoiler[Deanna hasn't got a lot of time left to live due to all the times she went in and out of hibernation. As we see from the crazy gundam pilot guy, doing that causes degradation in people. Basically, Loran decided to serve Deanna out of a sense of duty, despite the fact that he liked Sochie. Obviously, Sochie wasn't too thrilled with this. It's unknown (by me, anyway) how long Deanna it takes for Deanna to kick the bucket, but it seems long enough that Sochie lost hope of Loran ever coming back to her. I agree, though: a fairly crappy ending to that plotline.]
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Spoilers for the end of Turn A follow:

(snip)

Thanks, that clears things up. That matches what i remember in the series, but it never seemed like that info was explicitly confirmed (ie. spoiler[Deanna's reduced lifespan])
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Thanks, that clears things up. That matches what i remember in the series, but it never seemed like that info was explicitly confirmed (ie. spoiler[Deanna's reduced lifespan])

You're welcome, and it's not explicitly confirmed; it's only implied, but fairly strongly implied, IMO.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
While I was able to watch Turn A in its entirety, I find it to be one of the few Gundam series that I will never rewatch even a single episode of. It just doesn't feel like a Gundam series. I can't quite describe why I felt it wasn't a Gundam series, but I do know that I didn't like how, in comparison to past series, there was very little if any tragedy. I got the same feeling with G-Reco. It was like Tomino wanted to make something OTHER than Gundam, but got stuck with the Gundam name because brand recognition.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
While I was able to watch Turn A in its entirety, I find it to be one of the few Gundam series that I will never rewatch even a single episode of. It just doesn't feel like a Gundam series. I can't quite describe why I felt it wasn't a Gundam series, but I do know that I didn't like how, in comparison to past series, there was very little if any tragedy. I got the same feeling with G-Reco. It was like Tomino wanted to make something OTHER than Gundam, but got stuck with the Gundam name because brand recognition.

That's pretty much exactly what happened both time.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Past shelf lives have convinced me to go ahead and get the seasons sets (also, RightStuf holiday sales), though I always find it harder to justify getting compilation movies, unless they're dirt cheap (and this set is only a few dollars cheaper than each half set, so it seems pointless to me).

I'm personally hoping it won't feel like other Tomino Gundam series, I'm not too big on them (I typically go with Ryosuke Takahashi for my 80s mecha goodness), so I'm looking forward to it being a mecha series with mecha called Gundams in it, rather than a straight up Gundam series. Similar to G Gundam in that regards (but of course, G Gundam was hammy over the top awesomeness, I'm expecting a drama with Turn A)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Corpse Party is basically your only chance to have a horror anime that plays like traditional ghost movies. It's really not that great, and it feels like it's about half of a story, but it stands alone.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Corpse Party is basically your only chance to have a horror anime that plays like traditional ghost movies. It's really not that great, and it feels like it's about half of a story, but it stands alone.
I felt like Corpse Party: Tortured Souls was the only good horror I've seen in a while. I like psychological horror, not a thousand jump scares. Ghost Hunt gets me too from time to time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
You'd like the Babadook then, and maybe the Conjuring as well. But Corpse Party's issues felt like scenes were missing between episodes, but it's still a pretty fun ride. I watched it all on Halloween, because it's one of the only few appropriate and short enough anime to do that.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can understand no reviewers wanting to touch Re:_Hamatora after giving the first season the ratings it got, but... it did manage to be one of those rare second seasons that improves the first through hindsight.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
No Wicked City blu-ray? Sad Guess I'll have to settle.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Nice update on the shelves, some good titles there that I have or used to like Chibi Vampire/Karin and some other series. X3

Haha, yeah, last year I ended up burning through a chunk of a list of manga I wanted to read that was either complete or OOP. I honestly can't remember why I decided to check out Karin, but I really enjoyed the series.

I own the anime, but have yet to watch it. Laughing

On the Turn A movies, I'm surprised to see it is shelf worthy. Only because, when I asked about the movies, I was told to just stick with the TV series. Laughing
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I have a serious weakness for super-deformed figures...your have some very nice FUNKOs too. And instant respect to you for having Kurenai on your shelves, Ali07. I really wish I still had some of my TOKYOPOP manga, but as time passes, space becomes a bigger and bigger problem. Great update!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2