• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Museum Will Require ID Verification Starting in July

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Is this museum only open for a very limited time? Something open for like 8+ hours a day, 5 or more days a week, for 52 weeks a year and planning to continue that for the foreseeable future doesn't seem like prime scalping material.

Maybe they only do like one tour group of 5 people twice a week tops or something.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
There are only certain windows which you can visit, and your choice of day and time has to be selected pretty far in advance. From best guess it was probably 100-200 people when I went in 2013.

This sucks because I was planning to be in Japan during the time they're closed.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Is this museum only open for a very limited time? Something open for like 8+ hours a day, 5 or more days a week, for 52 weeks a year and planning to continue that for the foreseeable future doesn't seem like prime scalping material.

You have to buy the tickets well in advance, and there are plenty of people who dont realise this and think they can buy them on the day, leading to disappointment. I am assuming that the scalpers have stepped in here offering on-the-day tickets at inflated prices or something.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
Weren't they already requiring this? Me and a friend went a couple weeks ago and were required to show our passports with our tickets.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Why do you have to order them so far in advance? Is this museum so very popular that it's booked that far?
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
I assume so, but its also because there are limited people allowed in at a time so that it isn't too crowded.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Weren't they already requiring this? Me and a friend went a couple weeks ago and were required to show our passports with our tickets.

I think that the original story was requiring Japanese visitors to show identification. Some Japanese tickets have the purchaser's name printed on them so that your identity can be checked against the name on the ticket upon entry. This wasn't required by the person checking my ticket when I visited the Ghibli museum in 2011 even though I had my passport open for them, but it may have been a stated requirement at the time.

I've been to a few concerts where my ticket, fan club membership card, and passport were checked and in one case another card showing my katakana name and date of birth matching the date shown in my passport was required.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1