• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Posts 1st Photo of Scarlett Johansson as the Major

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
ScarJo will be great, I just hope the script and director is up to par. Who knows, it might end up being a great flick like Edge of Tomorrow.
Engi3Piece

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
I have to say even though I wished they used an Asian actor for Major, She does fit the look for the major:

http://img00.deviantart.net/4f23/i/2012/202/d/7/major_motoko_kusanagi_vector__daylight_version_by_xuuuxx-d581ihs.png

[EDIT: Changed to a link because the pic was too big. - Key]

GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
Nope. She looks Angie from Hackers trying to update her look to play Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim. Cool
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
ScarJo will be great, I just hope the script and director is up to par. Who knows, it might end up being a great flick like Edge of Tomorrow.

The script should be very good; one writer wrote Rise of the Planet of the Apes and the other received an Oscar nod for Straight Outta Compton. However, the director's only other credit is Snow White and the Huntsman, which is kind of a guilty pleasure movie (though it goes down as Bob Hoskins' final movie).

This photo's pretty good too. I always found ScarJo to be a bit emotionless, but that's kind of what Motoko is like, and the picture gives off an Arise movie vibe in terms of hairstyle.

Last edited by Gemnist on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:

So a piece of work that at most is an "in name only" adaptation, Michael Bay has shown the world the worst possible scenario of what you can do when you "make it your own work" so letting the director do as they please doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
That pic looks awesome.

Also, before anyone tries to make pseudo-political comments regarding her race: Motoko has a 100% cybernetic body. Which she swaps out whenever she wants/needs to. Who's to say what ethnicity she originally was, and has chosen a different skin tone for her current body, just from the ethnicity of the actress?
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote

Looks like it's a good amalgamation of every different design of the major (besides maybe Arise). I like it![/img]
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
Twitter drama around this pic is bloody astounding. People act like they didn't know that Major will be played by ScarJo.

Anyway, they nailed hair and overall composition of the shot seems nice. That's about it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
Johansson (usually a fine actress!) looks about as bland/unrecognizable as i expected so my utter lack of interest continues until the trailer. The biggest problem with the film is that a lot of eyes will be on it and a 2nd middle of the road production as Speed Racer, or worse, will just sidetrack us for another decade. At least i got Edge of Tomorrow 2 by a truly trustworthy team but i don´t think that boredom is the right emotion to get out true fan of the source material (well, maybe not the OG manga trilogy) as me. Shrug.
GitS in-name-only will certainly be better than Fist of the North Star 1995. That one may be THE worst anime/manga to Hollywood production.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
This is exciting. She looks great as Major.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
So a piece of work that at most is an "in name only" adaptation

You can make direct panel-to-panel adaptation and it still will be crap. Just ask Zack Snyder. There's no requirement for adaptation to be a complete copy of original work, it's a sign of creative impotence.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
I expected the worst, but I'm still devastated. She looks... TERRIBLE. Like Ramona Flowers aged by twenty years. Not going to pay any further attention to this.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
Well, this just went from worse to worser. I can only imagine the epic hissy fit the studio will have when the film bombs critically or commercially.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

You can make direct panel-to-panel adaptation and it still will be crap. Just ask Zack Snyder. There's no requirement for adaptation to be a complete copy of original work, it's a sign of creative impotence.

But if what the movie makers wanted to do is shelve out a "cyber punk thriller" there is no need to "adapt" a Japanese franchise work.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
But why not use GitS as a base? It's already got a good blend of action, cyber-shenanigans, and philosophy, so it doesn't need to be juiced at all. It also has name recognition; I would bet that a fair number of Hollywood people who have any interest in sci fi are probably aware of it.

Contrarily, an American cyberpunk classic like, say, Neuromancer, would be much harder to film right.

I'll wait until I see actual movie clips to pass judgment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10