• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New KanColle Dōjinshi Doubles as English Textbook

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
A new challenger appears for Baker Sensei!
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Yankees and Red Sox...lol
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
What? You mean they don't want to learn English from Moe-tan?

Full Metal Jacket has everything you need to know about the language.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
So they replaced the textbook characters with the KanColle girls, and Iowa is just a redo if Miss Baker? Complete with exact poses?

Shows the difference in Japanese copyrights and US copyrights. Surely they would've been sued for plagiarism in US (KanColle copyrights not withstanding of course). So Kudos to the doujin creator. Razz
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I like character design jokes.

They're lucky they could do the Iowa/New York jokes so easily to mirror the original.
DLH112

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I never would have thought the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry would even vaguely have anything to do with anime, especially KanColle and english text books xD. Maybe a mention in Major or similar series, but not this for sure.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
That was quite so befitting of Iowa.

Makes me wonder if Iowa was into baseball while she's not taking part on a sortie.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Shows the difference in Japanese copyrights and US copyrights. Surely they would've been sued for plagiarism in US (KanColle copyrights not withstanding of course). So Kudos to the doujin creator. Razz

I don't understand 100% of doujin or parody law in Japan, but the article stated that at least the English textbook publisher had given their permission for the English textbook parody, for the sake of learning. It seemed that the artist had thought about possible lawsuit from New Horizon publisher before deciding to make his own doujin.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:

I don't understand 100% of doujin or parody law in Japan, but the article stated that at least the English textbook publisher had given their permission for the English textbook parody, for the sake of learning. It seemed that the artist had thought about possible lawsuit from New Horizon publisher before deciding to make his own doujin.

As I said, if it's okay with Japanese law and there is no problem, but there would be in the US.

It's said to be a parody, but where is the parody? Lets say the original was a Japanese teaching book with Marvel characters and someone recreated the same idea with DC Universe characters. It's the same idea but with different characters, which is technically plagiarism. But the Doujin artist is using the KanColle and the English Textbook, two separate businesses, and merging it into one, then making a profit off it. So that person would've been sued.

But again, this is the contrast between US copyright laws and Japanese copyright laws.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I've said this before and I'll say it again there is ALWAYS a loophole find it and extort it for all its wort. Twisted Evil
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
...I want a copy tbh
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
With text books like this, I would have studied English all the time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese agree too: Blondes have more fun.

Meygaera wrote:

How do they write around their trademarks anyway?

SWAnimefan wrote:
As I said, if it's okay with Japanese law and there is no problem, but there would be in the US.

It's said to be a parody, but where is the parody? Lets say the original was a Japanese teaching book with Marvel characters and someone recreated the same idea with DC Universe characters. It's the same idea but with different characters, which is technically plagiarism. But the Doujin artist is using the KanColle and the English Textbook, two separate businesses, and merging it into one, then making a profit off it. So that person would've been sued.

But again, this is the contrast between US copyright laws and Japanese copyright laws.

That's something for the court to decide. Parody has always been a slippery thing to define (where there is parody protection, that is), as there's no clear line upon which parody oversteps itself and becomes plagiarism, and so it's handled on a case-by-case basis.

I'd say the most important trait between parody and plagiarization is absurdity, even if it's blurred. What Family Guy and South Park do are quite obviously absurd. Diesel is obviously not, as it takes itself VERY seriously as it completely rips off a battle from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. MAD Magazine is somewhere in between, remaining absurd but sticking really close to what they parody. Your example of DC characters in a Japanese textbook could potentially be absurd, or it might not.

How absurd is this doujinshi? I personally think it's in that blurry line. Replacing one set of characters with another can itself be absurd if the replaced characters clash enough with the premise.Kantai Collection is a franchise about battle; while there is a high school setting, it's not the primary focus. A lot of the dialogue seems to be different in this doujinshi too, tweaked to fit the characters. To use your Marvel textbook example, if the characters were replaced with those from, say, Homestar Runner, and the dialogue was changed so they'd all be in-character, that could itself be a parody with no further necessary modification.

Personally, I think this would get in trouble if this were under US law, not because it's a parody, but because it's a doujinshi.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will help Kongou improve her English skills? Wink
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:

Both teams are quite well-known in Japan. Back in 2007 Major League Baseball began marketing itself to Japanese fans, and both the Red Sox and Yankees opened paraphernalia stores. While the Nintendo-owned Seattle Mariners were the most recognizable team in Japan after Suzuki Ichiro joined them, the Yanks and Sox ranked just behind. When beloved pitcher Matsuzaka Daisuke joined the Red Sox, and Matsui Hideki went to the Yankees, Japanese interest in both teams soared. Though "Dice-K's" fortunes have waned since then, the Red Sox continue to recruit Japanese pitchers like Uehara Koji and Tazawa Junichi. One of the iconic photographs from the Red Sox' 2013 World Series victory shows Uehara hoisted into the air by slugger David Ortiz after Koji pitched the final at-bat of the Series.

Uehara is one of the most remarkable pitchers I have ever watched, and I've seen my share of greats like Luis Tiant, Roger Clemens, and Pedro Martinez. Despite rarely throwing faster than 85 mph, he befuddled the best hitters in baseball. In that 2013 season, Uehara struck out 101 batters in 74 innings and posted an ERA of 1.09.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
How do they write around their trademarks anyway?

I don't think the names themselves are trademarked, but rather the various logos. After all sports reporters can write about the teams and use their names without any trademark issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2