• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood's Tiger & Bunny Film Hires Writer Ellen Shanman

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Twisted Evil I hope we get our yearly dose of ikemen from this on our side of the Pacific Ocean. I really hope they don't cut out Fire Emblem. I'd be disappointed because of how hilarious it would be with him.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Now this looks like something that would definitely have major appeal to the West because with superhero movies being so huge at the box office and how knowing that Tiger & Bunny has the most racially diverse cast ever in anime/manga and with how everyone wants more diversity in their films lately, this feels like a sure thing that it will be a huge box office hit!

Just please keep Tiger and his daughter actually Japanese here because with this series already having a racially diverse cast, changing them would not only be unnecessary, but also potentially offensive as well. Anyways, who wouldn't want this potential film to be the first chance to beat Marvel and DC to the punch by having the first ever Asian superhero in a mainstream blockbuster movie as a main lead character! They are already underrepresented in the mainstream and this will definitely be seen as a huge sign of progress.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
It's nice seeing news about Tiger and Bunny that not about merchandise although I would much rather hear about a second season.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This might work, and I think it might be the easiest to adapt to the American screen compared to the other anime adaptations in development. I'm just worried about the title.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
It's nice seeing news about Tiger and Bunny that not about merchandise although I would much rather hear about a second season.

Well hey if this ends up actually getting greenlit for production, it would probably lead to one
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
This might work, and I think it might be the easiest to adapt to the American screen compared to the other anime adaptations in development. I'm just worried about the title.

It's only in deference to the "hit manga sales!" that we will still have a male buddy cop/hero partner nicknamed Bunny. It's already risky enough as it is.

And yeah, "easy" is the keyword: Rather like Disney taking "Big Hero 6" (which wasn't a manga, but manga-ish), seeing "superhero" in the plot description, and cutting all the Japanese-icon elements out of the story.
Like the US Death Note, it's another example of US producers thinking all anime culture revolves around the Hit Manga Titles selling at Barnes & Noble.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:

The show ended like four years ago. Second seasons normally happen like a year or two later. I think most people in Japan have forgotten the show by now and move on. One Punch Man and My Hero Academia seem to be more popular now.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Anyways, who wouldn't want this potential film to be the first chance to beat Marvel and DC to the punch by having the first ever Asian superhero in a mainstream blockbuster movie as a main lead character! They are already underrepresented in the mainstream and this will definitely be seen as a huge sign of progress.

Not if it bombs it won't it'll just be seen as that weird superhero movie that was trying to cash in on the renaissance started by Fox and aped on by Marvel.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Now this looks like something that would definitely have major appeal to the West...

Homo superheroes? I think the appeal will be very limited.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm just worried about the title.

Same here. If everything goes forward then that title is going to depend heavily on how well the trailers support it. If the first trailer doesn't end with Kotetsu calling Barnaby "Bunny" just before they put the title on the screen it'll be a much steeper uphill climb for them.

Still, the product placement in this movie will be a lot of fun.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The series has a western feel to it since it takes place in a fictional New York city and most of the characters feel like they would appear in Western comic books. I think Tiger & Bunny could turn out fine in the US. Not sure who can play Wild Tiger. Ken Watanabe may be too old for the role and I bet they want big name stars.
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Not sure who can play Wild Tiger. Ken Watanabe may be too old for the role and I bet they want big name stars.

I don't necessarily think they want a big name star, since there aren't that many to choose from. Plus Tiger & Bunny doesn't have the deep cultural presence of a Batman or Superman. There is a bit more freedom to cast a lesser known lead since there aren't many preconceptions about who the character is.

Based solely on age and appearance I could see Paul Nakauchi, the guy playing Watari in Netflix's Death Note. I hate to go the Hollywood route of "all East Asians are interchangeable," but I could see Daniel Dae Kim if they want even a little name ID. Steven Yeun is a bit young but he's got a background in comedy and action that could work well.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
They should cast Patrick Schwarzenegger as Barnaby, I don't know about his acting skills but he fits the look. Laughing

I'm bringing back this fantasy cast.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
NJust please keep Tiger and his daughter actually Japanese here because with this series already having a racially diverse cast, changing them would not only be unnecessary, but also potentially offensive as well.

I disagree with that. The character has no strong japanese cultural connection. It would hurt the story if they changed it. I can understand the feeling, but to me, there is no need for him to be Asian. He could be asian, white or latino, this wouldn't change the character.

Spawn29 wrote:
The show ended like four years ago. Second seasons normally happen like a year or two later. I think most people in Japan have forgotten the show by now and move on. One Punch Man and My Hero Academia seem to be more popular now.
Not always. Look at Haruhi. But yeah, it was the dope at the time, but things with less popularity had on more season a lot later than the previous one(s). Like Shakugan no Shana, for exemple (2005/2007/2011). And don't tell me it was more popular than Tiger & Bunny was, and even if so, the hype had disappeared by the time season 3 was released. So yeah, that doesn't happen often, but I wouldn't say it will never happen.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
@Moroboshi-san - Why do you feel this way? Is it a jab against comic book fans/culture? Do you genuinely feel that there would be a small audience? This could be considered a controversial statement with little explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2