• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Nanbaka

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Man I keep meaning to watch this. It looks so silly!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
(disregard)

Last edited by Kicksville on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I do enjoy this show but you're right, it is stale and one-note but that's to be expected when adapting a 4-koma manga. Its source material is also VERY noticeable, the new material used for transitioning from one comic to the other feels very out of place.

It does have my attention so far and will probably continue to have it. We'll see what happens next week. I must applaud the colors. It's so colorful yet doesn't hurt my eyes. It's a miracle.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Surprised the reviewer didn't mention how anything is Sparkly™

ParaChomp wrote:
I do enjoy this show but you're right, it is stale and one-note but that's to be expected when adapting a 4-koma manga.

Not necessarily. 4-koma can be, and has been adapted successfully. On the more adult humor side of things, Seitokai Yakuindomo is a good example. On the other end of the scale, there's the light-n'-fluffy K-ON! No, the issue stems either from the adaptation itself, or from the source material, and since I haven't read it, I can't answer that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
It's so colorful yet doesn't hurt my eyes. It's a miracle.

I know, right? I couldn't get past the first episode of Meganebu without having a color-seizure, but this doesn't hurt me. Maybe it's the added Sparkly™? You'd think that would make it worse but it doesn't.

I also agree that this feels like a throwback, namely Saiyuki, for me. And while I feel like I should really hate the Warden, she's actually kind of amusing. I totally enjoyed the office cleaning scene.

This is certainly not can't-wait-for-next-week fare, but it's ok, and I think it has potential to get a little better as it goes along.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Nanbaka's animation is pretty poor. It's okay as a series. It'll start getting easier once the series gets past its gag stage and starts fleshing out its cast. The manga actually has more gags that they didn't adapt, and they switched up how certain things were portrayed or arranged. This isn't bad, though. It's basically necessary for it to feel coherent. It's also not a 4-koma series, it just relied on short gags at the begining.

Also, I don't believe Jyugo was meant to be bisexual. In the manga and anime, the joke is that he will attract women by appearing to like men. The anime adds the line when they all meet Hajime's brother (probably to stitch together the scenes) but it's absent in the manga. Originally, they all meet and there's a line that the four's "spring comes and goes" or something like that. Jyugo doesn't even stick around to talk; the scenes aren't consecutive, and they randomly see each other later when Jyugo breaks out again.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure jyuugo calling himself bisexual was just a joke...judging by the context of the conversation.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Pretty sure Jyuugo calling himself bisexual was just a joke...judging by the context of the conversation.

I thought something was off when the review said he's an established bisexual. I want back to the first episode, and no, he thought girls would like him more if he told them what they wanted to heard: "I LIKE MEN,TOO!"
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Pretty boys in jail. That's almost a new one. In a way it reminds me of the craziness that comes from a Go Nagai flick. Man the pretty guys shows are on the go. We got pretty superhero boys, a skating show coming up and now prison boys. I should take a look at this.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

The karuta matches were insane. Now they've got me wanting to see a duel between Seitarou and the pretty boy inmates. Smile

Was it just me, or were there major continuity problems with the daruma? I kinda got lost in all the crane swoops and other wacky camera angles (and while I'm enjoying this, watching an episode once is enough). But it seemed like that pink disk kept coming back. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

For me this was maybe the best episode yet. Although I hate the trope where people stop and explain all their tactics and tricks during the battle, like the opposition won't use that information (just saw it in Keijo too), I still enjoyed the reveal behind his ludicrous winning.

The crew desperately scrambling against time to prepare...their censorship tools, landed pretty well with me, and I enjoyed the ore-ore-ore/muda-muda-muda and DB references too. And Hajime's laugh! That took me by surprise. Very Happy

Now if I just had the lyrics for the ED, my enjoyment of this would be complete.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
If the pacing's anything to go by, boooooooooooooy are you in for a big surprise next week
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling from pretty early on that this would be one of those gag comedy turn shonen battle series so the action in the tournament doesn't surprise me at all. I was getting serious Medaka Box/Reborn vibes off this but Nanbaka has a disadvantage over them in this aspect because unlike those 2 shows this is actually funny.

The transition from comedy to action was well received in Madaka Box and Reborn because they weren't funny so a change in genre was appreciated. Nanbaka however is pretty funny so an attempt to change genre might not go over so well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
EducatedRuffian wrote:
If the pacing's anything to go by, boooooooooooooy are you in for a big surprise next week

Guess I missed it. Was there something surprising?
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope the shonen-battle aspects of the story wrap up soon; I signed on for crazy comedy, not people punching each other. Unfortunately, the transformation at the end of the episode bodes ill...

Gina Szanboti wrote:
EducatedRuffian wrote:

Guess I missed it. Was there something surprising?

I'm assuming they're talking about the aforementioned transformation....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4