• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Comic Market Sweep

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
People will not get the joke in the title and that makes me a sad game show panda.

Also, despite two trips to Japan and Akiba, I had never been to Comic Zin. Perhaps I should change that.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Your wife cosplaying "Snow Halation" Love Live for Winter comiket sounds pretty perfect. Sounds like it was well-received.

Also, on-site changing facility (even for a fee) is a really nice idea that I'd like to see at big cons here; changing in the public restroom is a drag (and when you're crossplaying, hoo boy, do you get looks).
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I would have loved to have met Obari. I have one of the New Years Postcards he drew and that was subsequently given away by Animage in 1987. It would be interesting if to see if he's one of those people who would genuinely light up, excited that his old stuff still exists, or if he doesn't care about old stuff that he drew.
macloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also wonder if a Comiket-style event could survive outside of Japan, because of the weird, largely unspoken agreement that the big commercial content creators have with the small artists and circles who break copyright and sell fan works of licensed characters. Tradition has kept this practice alive at Comiket, but I'm not sure it can be exported at the same scale.

Well theres also the fact that in return for turning a blind eye The manga and anime industry can use comiket to scout out new and upandcoming talent - im sure Mike himself could tell us about the number of mangaka, artists and writers who got their first big break after working from the bottom as Doujin creators.

Last edited by macloud on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:06 am; edited 2 times in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Re: Mechander Robo's Philippine English dub. Don't recall actually watching it, but there was a local comics adaptation in Questor magazine, which was published by the licensing company. There were also comics based on Mazinger Z and Voltes V.
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
If you do a print zine I will preorder that ASAP
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
90% of the time people comment on wanting an American version of Comiket I'm pretty cure they're talking about the fan comics aspect. And thus, not really likely due to oppressive copyright standards. Even artist alleys largely pull attention for fan art rather than original stuff. I wish we could have an event like Comiket, which is to say with the ability to have almost a "copyright free zone" where you can have people hawking weird fan comics, allowing the fans of said works to mingle and the artists a chance to get more exposure.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Good to read about Comiket. I'm looking forward to next winter (summer is too hot and muggy) to visit the event again.

If you go I recommend: get the catalog and write down aisle designations and table numbers for circles you are interested inn (just look at the small pictures to make decisions), don't block tables and aisles, take rest breaks, enjoy.

The closest we have in the U.S. are artist alleys and various zine fests. An event the size Comiket, which draws about 550,000 over the three days, only works because of the mass transit system Japan has.

There are also plenty of other smaller events, many devoted to just original, non-parody, works so do research if you are planning to go to Japan and you may find some events when you are there.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
The closest we have in the U.S. are artist alleys and various zine fests. An event the size Comiket, which draws about 550,000 over the three days, only works because of the mass transit system Japan has.

It's no so much the mass transit system, there's it's symbiotic partners as well - the physical size of Japan (a small fraction the size of the US) and high population density (three times that of the US) plays into it as well. It's much more feasible for an otaku from (say) Hiroshima to attend Comiket than it would be for an Otaku in Seattle to attend a Comiket held in New Orleans or Chicago. (I.E. near the middle of the country like Tokyo.) Not only in terms of travel time (averaging about two hours less in Japan, practically in day trip range for the truly dedicated), but in terms of cost (around half).

If even you placed a US Comiket in a high population area (Southern CA, the Northwest Corridor), you'd have a hard time drawing the numbers Comiket does... In a large part because half your potential attendees are all but precluded from attending by travel time and cost concerns.
bsus1412

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting up my own count of Comiket, as I was there for all 3 days as well, and even got up at 4:30 am to start waiting in line at 6. What I was most shocked at was the amazing level of control. The staff directed us to clearly established lines, and despite the sheer number of attendees, there was no real pushing, shoving, and confrontations. In America, it's barely controlled chaos half the time. I managed to get most of the items I wanted, and the only thing stopping me was my budget.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
bsus1412 wrote:
I'm waiting up my own count of Comiket, as I was there for all 3 days as well, and even got up at 4:30 am to start waiting in line at 6. What I was most shocked at was the amazing level of control. The staff directed us to clearly established lines, and despite the sheer number of attendees, there was no real pushing, shoving, and confrontations. In America, it's barely controlled chaos half the time. I managed to get most of the items I wanted, and the only thing stopping me was my budget.

It's because the staff aren't pulled from "connections" aka just wanted a free pass to the event so the quality of discipline is much higher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1