• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Reveals Kamen Rider Build Series Premiering in September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
let's just hope this series is a good send off to the heisei era Anime smile
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
The staff this time is a partial dream team for Kamen Rider. I haven't been watching the more recent series except Fourze and Gaim, so I might try out this one.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
I'll wait and see. I want to believe to believe we're going back to dark Kamen Rider, but they gotta sell them toys. Hopefully it's something at least close to Gaim.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat interested in this new series. I really like the new KR's look. I get that they need to sell toys. I just hope it doesn't get overstuffed.

By the way, is anyone here following the development of Ex-Aid in Japan? Did it turn out good after all?
tootbrush

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote
The gimmick looks like it's heavily inspired by Double/OOO.

v1cious wrote:
I'll wait and see. I want to believe to believe we're going back to dark Kamen Rider, but they gotta sell them toys. Hopefully it's something at least close to Gaim.

I don't know about now, but a couple of months ago Ex-Aid was tackling rather heavy themes under its goofy exterior. People were also hyping its story and characters. But I personally hate the show's aesthetics, so I still couldn't bring myself to watch it. Razz
NightSide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

There was 2 seasons of Amazons (showa Amazon remake). The story is dark, even darker than Gaim IMO, and focusing more in characters development rather than the battle. But don't get it wrong, the battle still awesome, really awesome.

The show is bloody though, and sometimes limbs are flying away here and there. So take precaution Twisted Evil.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
NightSide wrote:
v1cious wrote:

There was 2 seasons of Amazons (showa Amazon remake). The story is dark, even darker than Gaim IMO, and focusing more in characters development rather than the battle. But don't get it wrong, the battle still awesome, really awesome.

The show is bloody though, and sometimes limbs are flying away here and there. So take precaution Twisted Evil.

I saw the first episode, but I never got around to watching all of it for some reason. I guess I'll make some time to watch the rest.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
The show will be ruin if it goes monster-of-the-week plot type. Seriously Gaim was awesome because it dont use filler arc on every 2 episodes.

Last edited by Hikarunu on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
[quote="tootbrush"]The gimmick looks like it's heavily inspired by Double/OOO.[/quote]

The suit design reminds me a lot of W, too.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I'm somewhat interested in this new series. I really like the new KR's look. I get that they need to sell toys. I just hope it doesn't get overstuffed.

By the way, is anyone here following the development of Ex-Aid in Japan? Did it turn out good after all?

Personally, I think Ex-Aid is the best we've had since Gaim. If you can get over the aesthetic (which really isn't even that bad once you've been looking at it for a while), you'll find that it largely abandoned monster of the week plots fairly early on, like Gaim. Certainly a lot earlier than Drive did at least. As someone else above me mentioned, it's tackling some real heavy subject matter through the doctor angle, which is something it has always played up as opposed to downplaying in favour of the gamer angle, which would certainly be a lot easier for an upbeat story. I strongly advise giving it a chance and not just writing it off because of the goofy looking suits. Remember the Gaim/Fourze rule: The goofier the suits and the premise, the darker the story.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
[Remember the Gaim/Fourze rule: The goofier the suits and the premise, the darker the story.

Fourze is considered dark? I thought it was the most fun Kamen Rider in years.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
CycloneJoker wrote:
[Remember the Gaim/Fourze rule: The goofier the suits and the premise, the darker the story.

Fourze is considered dark? I thought it was the most fun Kamen Rider in years.

Dark is probably the wrong way to put it with regards to Fourze. What I mean is, the goofier the suits and the premise, at least in recent years, the more solid the story and character development. While Fourze isn't dark, it does start to delve into some pretty deep and mature themes by the end, like growing up and what it means to be human, etc. It's really more like the 'Gaim Rule' if you're talking about being dark, but I believe Fourze got some flack for being really happy-go-lucky after W and OOO and for a while people didn't realise how solid it was. I can't say that for certain though, I only got into Kamen Rider as Wizard was ending, so I didn't hear anything about Fourze while it was airing. I only include Fourze in that little rule out of personal preference.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Slightly disappointed it's not a construction worker-themed Rider. Looks like a cross between W and OOO.

Ex-Aid is great, one of my favorites along side Fourze and Gaim. Great characters, story, and gimmick. I've had fun collecting all the Gashats. I grew up on retro games, so that's always a plus if you have a history with 8-bit era games. Would have loved to see some non-Namco licensed Gashat though. A Nintendo, Capcom, or Konami one would have been amazing, but Pac-Man is nothingnto sneeze at.

-Stuart Smith
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I started with Gaim, and doing so really set the bar for me with Heisei era Kamen Riders. Ghost, as slow as it got, still had a somewhat cohesive theme I stood by, the value of life and its endless possibilities/infinite potential, and struck a chord with me in coping or dealing with death.

Ex-Aid has been having an awesome run. It melded its two concepts seamlessly and has never felt stuck in its plot, with only 10 or so episodes left before it's over. Escalation and rising stakes kept me on the edge of my seat, something that Ghost had trouble with in the second half. I've meant to retread older series post Decade, but have kept myself busy with almost everything pre-Decade.

Disclaimer: I stopped halfway through Drive and I admit regretting it, as I felt it slowed down halfway or 2/3 through its run, and intend on finishing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1