• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chi to Hai no Joō Creator's Plea to Fans Prevents Manga's Cancellation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what this manga is about???? Confused
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Valoon (poster who imported the first volume to support the series), you got your wish haha. Bako's previous manga ended in 4 vols, luckily this series won't share the same fate.

EDIT: Spell correct being silly.

Last edited by Souther on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
If series is close to cancelation and sells pretty bad, maybe, just maybe, people don't have that interest in it? Yes, I know good stuff was cancelled, but it just says there are series that smarter, better, funnier than yours. It happens all the time. This is business, and presenting something is author's job. You can add more explosions like Michael Bay, or you can add more sex scenes like Game of Thrones- but it helps to sell your stuff, you have to know some rules for any entertainment industry. Just my opinion, of course.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how popular Ura Sunday is, but it has Mob Psycho 100 in it, so there must be some solid readership of the magazine. And it's an online magazine, right? However, I never heard of Mob Psycho until recently when the anime started. I think the lack of promotion might be the main problem since there's almost nothing known about Killing Vamp a.k.a. Chi to Hai no Joō. The artwork of the covers look sick enough to get me interested. We already have more than enough vampire stories (it's already hard to find a vampire manga that don't include the words "vampire", "blood", "night", "moon" or Dracula-related names in the title; thanks Blade and Owari no Seraph), so they have to be more creative or interesting. Edgy, alien-like looking vampire abonimations like in Hellsing or Rosario+Vampire II already exist.

Kyo Hisagi wrote:
If series is close to cancelation and sells pretty bad, maybe, just maybe, people don't have that interest in it? Yes, I know good stuff was cancelled, but it just says there are series that smarter, better, funnier than yours. It happens all the time. This is business, and presenting something is author's job. You can add more explosions like Michael Bay, or you can add more sex scenes like Game of Thrones- but it helps to sell your stuff, you have to know some rules for any entertainment industry. Just my opinion, of course.

You also have to consider in which magazine it's published in the first place and how well-known it is in the public. I've never heard of Ura Magazine until today, and since I don't live in Japan, I don't know how popular it is among Japanese readers. The only thing I know it's a sub-magazine of Weekly Shounen Sunday (I could be wrong, though), and that one is popular.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Flying half-nude mermaid vampires who watch super-powered mutant male vampires fight each other....and some other stuff.

Edit: Forgot to mention the half-naked female mutant vampire...

Re-edit: Basic plot: People get turned into mutant vampires,and battles between mutant vamps begin.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Flying half-nude mermaid vampires who watch super-powered mutant male vampires fight each other....and some other stuff.

Edit: Forgot to mention the half-naked female mutant vampire...

Re-edit: Basic plot: People get turned into mutant vampires,and battles between mutant vamps begin.

..........WTF? That sounds like a bit much. Confused
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

Kyo Hisagi wrote:

You also have to consider in which magazine it's published in the first place and how well-known it is in the public. I've never heard of Ura Magazine until today, and since I don't live in Japan, I don't know how popular it is among Japanese readers. The only thing I know it's a sub-magazine of Weekly Shounen Sunday (I could be wrong, though), and that one is popular.

Well yes, I agree this is some kind of very unknown magazine (not like I know many of them- only Shonen Magazine and Shonen Jump), but as you mentioned- it has Mob Psycho in it. Many people knows Mob Psycho (thanks to anime and popularity of OPM but still) and just a few knows this manga. You can't even read it online- it says a lot about people' interest. They don't want to read it even for free) I don't have anything against the mangaka, I respect every artist and content maker, just...asking for help in this situation looks very low. I've never heard manga authors asked for help in this manner. I can't imagine Tite Kubo saying "Please buy previous 70+ volumes, I can get cancelled soon!". Let your work speak for yourself.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@Animechic420

Forget it,Animechic420. It's Shōnen.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

..........WTF? That sounds like a bit much. Confused

This was precisely my reaction too.
It sounds awesome though. I'm really interested in reading it.

On the other hand, low it may seem, IMO, it's also the only thing the author hadn't done. Seeing glimpses of the art, it looks like he's already put a lot of effort. The story has already reached 4 volumes, so I guess his editor had also played their part to make the story as good as possible. I think the author and his editor had already been backed into a corner.

I think the series is just so very weird that it has a high barrier for entry. But after that, it might be smooth sailing.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Sounds to me like this is just delaying the inevitable. I don't think a plea like this normally works more than once. I still doubt this series will last much longer. Maybe to volume six, but that will probably be it, unless this guy turns into a true artwork of story telling.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Well yes, I agree this is some kind of very unknown magazine (not like I know many of them- only Shonen Magazine and Shonen Jump), but as you mentioned- it has Mob Psycho in it. Many people knows Mob Psycho (thanks to anime and popularity of OPM but still) and just a few knows this manga. You can't even read it online- it says a lot about people' interest. They don't want to read it even for free) I don't have anything against the mangaka, I respect every artist and content maker, just...asking for help in this situation looks very low. I've never heard manga authors asked for help in this manner. I can't imagine Tite Kubo saying "Please buy previous 70+ volumes, I can get cancelled soon!". Let your work speak for yourself.

Can you list any other Ura Sunday work that might be popular? Mob Psycho 100 has ONE as its author, so people were interested of that in the first place, and Sindbad no Bouken was heavily promoted as a Magi spin-off.

That manga is not even old. The first volume was released in May. Comparing a manga that just started in a relatively less known online magazine in comparison to a 16 year-old series that was extremely popular at some point that was also published in the most well-known print magazine where the chance of glimpsing at the manga is relatively high, it's an uneven comparison. The readership of WSJ is extremely high and Bleach sold several millions, if not even billions of books. Killing Vamp just requires at least only 1000 to not get axed early on. 1000 copies would definitively not satisfy WSJ to keep it. Killing Vamp didn't even started when Mob Psycho 100's anime ended. It's that fresh. If it comes to readership numbers of both magazines, the difference is too high to generalize such a comparison.

I don't know how many manga can be read in Shogakukan's MangaOne's app, but if I assume that there are at least four different Sunday magazines that aim for the shounen demographic, that would be at least 55+ series (there must be more).
Ravellino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Can you list any other Ura Sunday work that might be popular? Mob Psycho 100 has ONE as its author, so people were interested of that in the first place, and Sindbad no Bouken was heavily promoted as a Magi spin-off.

That manga is not even old. The first volume was released in May. Comparing a manga that just started in a relatively less known online magazine in comparison to a 16 year-old series that was extremely popular at some point that was also published in the most well-known print magazine where the chance of glimpsing at the manga is relatively high, it's an uneven comparison. The readership of WSJ is extremely high and Bleach sold several millions, if not even billions of books. Killing Vamp just requires at least only 1000 to not get axed early on. 1000 copies would definitively not satisfy WSJ to keep it. Killing Vamp didn't even started when Mob Psycho 100's anime ended. It's that fresh. If it comes to readership numbers of both magazines, the difference is too high to generalize such a comparison.

I don't know how many manga can be read in Shogakukan's MangaOne's app, but if I assume that there are at least four different Sunday magazines that aim for the shounen demographic, that would be at least 55+ series (there must be more).

Ashura kengan their volumes sell more than Mob 100
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1