• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Souls: Remastered Ships for Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC on May 25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm more interested in the WTF pricing that is the Dark Souls trilogy bundle that is exclusive to PS4 in Japan.
the_ZJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this'll be accompanied by a PC release. The current Dark Souls available on steam is incredibly inaccessible and bug-ridden.
WeepingOshino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
the_ZJ wrote:
I just hope this'll be accompanied by a PC release. The current Dark Souls available on steam is incredibly inaccessible and bug-ridden.

It will have a PC release. And for those of you wondering about framerates and resolution, here you go.

PC: Native 4K 60fps
PS4 and Xbox One: 1080p 60fps
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X: Upscaled 4K 60fps
Switch Docked: 1080p 30fps
Switch handheld: 720p 30fps
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to having all three Dark Souls releases on my PS 4. I guess I'll be re-platinuming this one.
Slashman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
PC release. Now you're talking my language!
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I am legit unsure if I should wait for when I have a Switch for this. Frame rates don't concern me enough to automatically fore-go the opportunity to rip and tear, anywhere.

...Or, in this case, get ripped and torn, while airborne.

Never played Dark Souls, but I've heard that it is one of the greatest games of all time.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Those new specs for the PC release makes it worth it to replay Dark Souls all over again. Hmm. I wonder if there's a method to transfer save files from the previous PC version.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
the_ZJ wrote:

[/quote]

I had to mod the hell out of it with fixes, SweetFX & many texture packs. Sucks when a game community has a to fix the game. Its amazing once you do it however, I wonder if this new version will be able to top what we can do with mods. HD remasters aren't always great.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Most interesting news is that there will be dedicated servers. All of the Soulsborne games before this have used P2P for the invasion and co-op mechanics. It'll be nice to not have obscenely laggy phantoms and sudden deaths in PVP.

With a 50% discount to previous owners on Steam, getting a remaster of Dark Souls is an easy choice. Also probably gonna pick it up for the Switch, since portable Dark Souls is far too tantalizing of an idea.

Levonr wrote:
the_ZJ wrote:

I had to mod the hell out of it with fixes, SweetFX & many texture packs. Sucks when a game community has a to fix the game.

The only thing you really had to do to make it a decent port was download and install DSFix. It was a janky as hell port, but didn't require all of what you described to actually fix (and I say that as having downloaded and modified SweetFX and texture packs).
WeepingOshino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Most interesting news is that there will be dedicated servers. All of the Soulsborne games before this have used P2P for the invasion and co-op mechanics. It'll be nice to not have obscenely laggy phantoms and sudden deaths in PVP.

With a 50% discount to previous owners on Steam, getting a remaster of Dark Souls is an easy choice. Also probably gonna pick it up for the Switch, since portable Dark Souls is far too tantalizing of an idea.

Levonr wrote:
the_ZJ wrote:

I had to mod the hell out of it with fixes, SweetFX & many texture packs. Sucks when a game community has a to fix the game.

The only thing you really had to do to make it a decent port was download and install DSFix. It was a janky as hell port, but didn't require all of what you described to actually fix (and I say that as having downloaded and modified SweetFX and texture packs).

What is your source for the dedicated servers and discount?

Edit: Oh, nevermind. It says in the article that the servers will be dedicated Rolling Eyes
vision33r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
The 1st Dark Souls for Windows was fromsoftware's first attempt to porting to Windows and it was a huge mess that required the aid of gamers to make it look decent at high resolutions. Now they've got DS2 and DS3 on Windows under their belt, they should have less problems.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
WeepingOshino wrote:

Edit: Oh, nevermind. It says in the article that the servers will be dedicated Rolling Eyes

As for the 50% discount on Steam, see here.
the_ZJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

I wouldn't call that decent. You could count yourself lucky if the game didn't crash with your preferred settings which you had to enter in a .ini file somewhere in the game's folder (=not accessible). Sure, if you're somewhat tech-savvy you could get it to run, but I personally know quite a few people who never got to play it because dsfix just didn't work for them at all or they didn't manage to configure it properly.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Never mind, Bandai Namco is going against their previous listing by saying there won't be a discount for previous PC owners.

the_ZJ wrote:
I wouldn't call that decent. You could count yourself lucky if the game didn't crash with your preferred settings which you had to enter in a .ini file somewhere in the game's folder (=not accessible). Sure, if you're somewhat tech-savvy you could get it to run, but I personally know quite a few people who never got to play it because dsfix just didn't work for them at all or they didn't manage to configure it properly.

I'm hardly tech-savvy when it comes to creating and modifying mods, .ini files, etc. I literally just downloaded the most recent version of Durante's DSFix at the time, and followed the instructions given. Besides, none of that refutes my point that, even tho the DS1 port was a mess, the only thing people actually needed to get it to run well enough was one mod.
WeepingOshino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
WeepingOshino wrote:

As for the 50% discount on Steam, see here.

FromSoft is actually denying that there will be any discount now. A representative said that they were told that there would be no discount and that it would remain at $40.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1