• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ninja Nonsense [2018-01-29]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the first things the average viewer will notice about Ninja Nonsense is that it's completely bonkers.

Got that right! It's one of the reasons I still make it a point to share this show.

Yes, it's pervy--but the show successfully walks a fine line that keeps it from going off the rails. And it's pretty clear that the ninjas actually care for Shinobu, and that Onsakamaru's dysfunctional training ground has just a touch of a family vibe about it, warped and addled though it is.

Quote:
The writing also strikes a good balance between keeping the translation faithful and adapting cultural references for an English-speaking audience.

Again, spot on! IIRC, given the wordplay in the Japanese script, localization for this show was especially problematic.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, Ninja Nonsense, that takes me back, though only saw some, not all of it back then, really weird series, that is.

But anyways, please guys, more shelf stories to share, its what keeps me coming to this article weekly, lol. I get a little sad when there isn't any shelves to share, lol.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Nonsense was one of the first anime I watched, with the first and second episode or so as a freebie on a disc from New Type magazine. Onsokamaru is the best character and the English dub is really good, which I now realize is surprising given the time period.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
But anyways, please guys, more shelf stories to share, its what keeps me coming to this article weekly, lol. I get a little sad when there isn't any shelves to share, lol.

I feel sorta guilty about chiming in with this because I've yet to submit my collection...though, in my defense, I don't have shelves, I have Itoyas full of production artwork. So, if you want to change the name of the article to "Itoya Life", I got you covered.

...Huh..that's an idea. Since Lunar New Year is coming up, maybe I should submit pics of some of the original nengajo I own.
MJKS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review of Ninja Nonsense, Paul. I've been meaning to check it out for a long time.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I loved Ninja Nonsense but I already have the dvds, so I don't foresee myself picking up the blurays. I've always wanted to track down Tomokazu Seki whenever he ends up at a con in the states, so he can sign my copy of the show with 9 different signatures.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I love Ninja Nonsense because frankly its nonsensical off the rails fun. Onsakamaru is wacky as can be. Ill be double dipping for this. Excellent review by the way.
But in my tastes of anime ..this show is right up there with Excel Saga ...and the new kid on the block Aho Girl (Quite zany fun, you should check it out ) So now as far as Zany Comedy Parody ...I consider these masterpieces of absurd, high-energy, screwball humor and they are some of my favorite comedy shows. I think sometimes the normal rating system doesn't do justice to shows like this imho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1