• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Season 1 DVD/BD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I just assumed that Morgan's delivery got higher to match how childish and kinda spacy Kurumi tends to get. It also went well with how sickeningly sweet she and her husband tend to get with each other when not having childish fights.

I enjoyed this a lot, in both languages. Wish Netflix hadnt picked up the second season
ickybott555

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
Wish Netflix hadnt picked up the second season

Where did you hear that Netflix got the right?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
ickybott555 wrote:
lycopene wrote:

MAL lists them as having no liscensor this season so I don't know what that dude's talking about.

Presumably since Funimation made a point to release seasons one they'll just pick it up later.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
I enjoyed this a lot, in both languages. Wish Netflix hadnt picked up the second season

If this is true, maybe, just maybe, when this gets dubbed, Netflix could reach out to FUNimation, or vice versa, and FUNimation's voice cast can still dub it for consistency. That'd be the next best thing that could happen. PLEASE, NETFLIX? There's no way I'll accept Saiki being played by anyone besides Jerry Jewell. Not even the seiyuu can get me to laugh in the same way Jerry can. This is on YOU now, Netflix.

Provided this is true, of course Razz

Last edited by Raebo101 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
ickybott555 wrote:
lycopene wrote:

MAL lists them as having no liscensor this season so I don't know what that dude's talking about.

Presumably since Funimation made a point to release seasons one they'll just pick it up later.

well, this is rather suspicious. its a screenshot from the show's website
https://venue-forum-prod.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/74364f5d-a9ce-432a-9ac8-11881bf7c834.png
Wichita

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
This anime is probably the best comedy anime I've seen so far, and I'm so glad it has a great dub to go with it as well.
Also, everyone's name is a pun on different types of psychic powers.
Saiko Metori's name is a pun on psychometry, and toritsuka's name is a pun on toritsukareta, the Japanese word for being possessed by a ghost. I don't remember the puns on anybody else's name, but they're all in the manga.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see a very positive review for this show. It's one of my favourite comedy anime, and I'm glad it's got a physical release, unlike some of the others (Sket Dance never). I'm really happy with the cover art on these sets too - Funi has way too many anime where they just put the key visual on the cover, but these are a lot more fun. I'd have bought them anyway though.

It just sucks that Funi hasn't seemed to have said anything about season two.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well, this is rather suspicious. its a screenshot from the show's website
https://venue-forum-prod.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/74364f5d-a9ce-432a-9ac8-11881bf7c834.png

Yeah, the website shows netflix for season 2, and there's a placeholder url on netflix for saiki
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not (they didn't pick up Wixoss Season 3 or the Wixoss movie despite dubbing the first two seasons, for example).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not (they didn't pick up Wixoss Season 3 or the Wixoss movie despite dubbing the first two seasons, for example).

Yeah, it's anybody's guess. Personally, I don't take it as a very good sign that they didn't license it for the current season, and there are certainly plenty of examples of things that didn't get licensed because prior seasons didn't do very well. Then again, they are doing a simuldub right now for Star Blazers, despite it be a few years old, and Garo Vanishing Line despite not licensing the movie for the first series so far.

It's disappointing to think that maybe Saiki didn't do very well because I thought it was great. Saiki's dry humor is exactly my thing, so I found plenty to laugh at each episode.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
This show is so Crunchyroll material, what a pity they couldn't get it.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Do you mean Lostorage Incited WIXOSS? It's on Crunchyroll so I assume Funimation will eventually release it, since their partnership entails Funi releasing everything going forward. From what I read about the movie, it's a summary/recap.

Nodz wrote:
This show is so Crunchyroll material, what a pity they couldn't get it.

That is the first thing I checked after reading this review. I hope maybe they'll still get it in the future like other Funimation catalog titles. Is it on VRV though, but only for premium members, and only the dubbed version Sad
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
From what I read about the movie, it's a summary/recap.

There's about half an hour of new material designed to wrap up all the plot holes and unresolved questions from the first two seasons. It was basically Mari Okada's attempt to resolve everything before handing the franchise off to the Lostorage creative team.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:53 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
From what I read about the movie, it's a summary/recap.

There's about half an hour of new material designed to wrap up all the plot holes and unresolved questions from the first two seasons. It was basically Mari Okada's attempt to resolve everything before handing the franchise off to the Lostorage creative team.

Thanks for that info! then now I'll have to download the fansub...
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

It just sucks that Funi hasn't seemed to have said anything about season two.

Funimation kinda gave an unofficial reason behind why they couldn't license season 2 on their facebook page which was that it takes both sides to make it work.

There could be any number of issues like money, the committee didn't like the dub (not likely), or maybe netflix just offerred more money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1