• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Ni no Kuni II:Revenant Kingdom

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
This sounds pretty good, I though NNK 1 was very... meh, and squandered all of its opportunity by being too formulaic and trying too hard to appeal to little kid. SO having the sequel be very different is a good thing in my book.

But it does sound like the game is really short, 20 hour of meaningful content padded by repetitive side quest is pretty poor.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
I liked the first game but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t glad they overhauled the battle mechanics and tried something new.

This series makes me feel like I’m a ten year old kid watching “Spirited Away” again and any game that can evoke that type of nostalgia is a memorable one indeed.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. Surprised to see such a tepid appraisal of NnK1... I, too, felt it was a disappointingly mediocre game... but have encountered little else but unwavering praise for it from others.

Anyway, NnK2 sounds like an improvement in every respect, and as tedious as the town building may be, it still seems less tedious than the combat of the first game, and may well be less of an issue for casual play—IE people who aren’t obligated to get a review written up by a certain time. 30 hours from start to end would be... an extraordinarily short game by JRPG standards.

The lack of voice acting feels pretty odd, though. Wasn’t NnK1 fully voiced? It’s equally a shame about the princeling—seems to be a dull character in every respect (character design, voice, personality, goals). I laughed at that “peacefully unite the world” bit... this is the kind of fantastical, surreal setting where you can have a “good” character “conquer the world” without getting bogged down with conventional real-world morality (it’s call hyooma, mah good man)... and, frankly, I’m sick to death of the of the extremely childish Japanese postmodern take on anti-war messaging.
KuroiEr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
If they fixed the horribly grindy Pokemon-light system and the idiotic a.i. companions from Nnk1 then I'd say its a step up.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Oh, wow. Surprised to see such a tepid appraisal of NnK1... I, too, felt it was a disappointingly mediocre game... but have encountered little else but unwavering praise for it from others.

Anyway, NnK2 sounds like an improvement in every respect, and as tedious as the town building may be, it still seems less tedious than the combat of the first game, and may well be less of an issue for casual play—IE people who aren’t obligated to get a review written up by a certain time. 30 hours from start to end would be... an extraordinarily short game by JRPG standards.

The lack of voice acting feels pretty odd, though. Wasn’t NnK1 fully voiced? It’s equally a shame about the princeling—seems to be a dull character in every respect (character design, voice, personality, goals). I laughed at that “peacefully unite the world” bit... this is the kind of fantastical, surreal setting where you can have a “good” character “conquer the world” without getting bogged down with conventional real-world morality (it’s call hyooma, mah good man)... and, frankly, I’m sick to death of the of the extremely childish Japanese postmodern take on anti-war messaging.
Ni no Kuni 1 was not fully voiced. It had the same issue.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whereas the original game was a traditional turn-based RPG, this time around the developer has opted for an action RPG approach, something more akin to Kingdom Hearts in execution.

I would not say the first Ni No Kuni game had a traditional turn-based RPG system. On the surface it seems like it, but from playing and observing the game over time I describe it as being more action base with some turn based elements mixed in. It was not like I had to wait my turn to have the characters I was controlling deal damage to their opponents (even though with certain attack their was a cool down period), nor was I in the mercy of luck when it came to having the character I was controlling avoiding/defending against damage.

Quote:
In addition to grinding through standard enemies, you'll face a variety of epic bosses. They all provide a decent challenge, and several of them even have battle-specific gimmicks. Some of these work, such as one battle that finds you equipped with a Higgledy-powered gun to take down an airborne foe. Some do not, such as one boss that ends with a frustrating platforming sequence. But the effort made to mix things up and keep it interesting is appreciated.

Interesting! That does seem like they are mixing things up in terms of boss fights.

Quote:
Controlling Evan, and flanked on all sides by your troops, you barrel into enemy forces. Each unit of soldiers specializes in one type of weapon, be it bows or swords or hammers or spears. There's a simple rock-paper-scissors mentality to these battles, with spears having the advantage against swords, but being weak against hammers, and so on.

I see there is a bit of Fire Emblem logic being brought to this part of the game play.

Quote:
But where Ni no Kuni II drops the ball is by making this kingdom builder mandatory to progress in the game.

Well that was the point the game base on what I learn about it prior to it's release, so that is to be expected that building Evan's new kingdom to be mandatory. With that said, I can understand if the execution behind this idea ended up falling flat in the end from your experience.

Quote:
One thing I found odd was how little voice acting there is. A handful of important scenes are fully voiced, but the vast majority are text only. It's a bit of a rough juxtaposition, with the sweeping score, the gorgeous graphics, and the old-school text box crowding out the bottom of the screen. The production values elsewhere would have suggested a fully voiced game, and the text-only scenes are robbed of some of their dramatic potential. Plus, sticking voiced scenes in the middle of seas of text makes the game feel strangely uneven.

So they still not have fix that issue from the first game?! Well I had a feeling this problem might still be a thing from watching one of the live streams hosted by Bandai Namco when I was watching one of the cut scenes. There were no voice acting to be heard, but instead text in what seem to be an important scene. I can kind of understand if they can't have the entire game be voice acted (even though that would be nice), but what I don't get is why they could not have at least all the important scenes be voiced. Looks like it's back to reading/acting out scenes for me.

Overall I am excited to played this game. It is already with me as I type this, but first I there is the first game I need to finish watching. The game is being closed to finishing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1