• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Movies premiering in Japan - not extensive coverage?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I see there is an ‘advance’ review for Liz and the Blue Bird. Yet, a month and a bit after its premiere, and after several showings in the US, there’s no review for Bungo stray dogs Dead Apple? Is their just no writer on this site capable of reviewing it, or not enough interest to justify it?

Macquia, Sword art online, no game no life zero, and an irregular and magic high school movies were all reviewed, so i’m racking my brain but can’t find a reason for this case not being reviewed.

(Wasn’t sure where to post this so forgive me if this is the wrong place)
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
By "several showings," you mean 3, 2 at one event, and 1 at another, the same weekend, on opposite sides of the country, right?
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
By "several showings," you mean 3, 2 at one event, and 1 at another, the same weekend, on opposite sides of the country, right?

Yes. Was there even any ANN attendence at those weekends? Can’t remember..but I know there are ANN correspondants in Japan. Probably folks who haven’t watched the show.

EDIT: It could be a financial issue as well. I did not think of that. Sorry for being insensitive. Luckily the site is under no obligation to review it, so no loss.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Hi Rika! First, just wanted to let you know that we hear you on your request for a review for Bungo Stray Dogs: Dead Apple. We definitely try our best to review as much as we can regarding films, but it's also helpful to know what users want to read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to update this for you, but we have a review up now: http://4NN.cx/.130449
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
Yes. Was there even any ANN attendence at those weekends? Can’t remember..but I know there are ANN correspondants in Japan. Probably folks who haven’t watched the show.

EDIT: It could be a financial issue as well. I did not think of that. Sorry for being insensitive. Luckily the site is under no obligation to review it, so no loss.

Most of our staff are in the Kanto area. We also have 1 person out in Kansai. Most of our staff in Japan, are not events people. They don't cover events. Our journalist in Kansai occasionally makes exceptions to cover events that are particularly interesting, but she is not a reviewer.

We do now have two people in Tokyo who cover events for us, but they aren't full time. They have a large slew of things to do though (interviews, events, premieres, locations, etc...), so they aren't going to make it to every event or movie screening. Still, you'll be seeing more and more of their coverage in interest and editorial, and over time, as budgets permit, we hope to increase the amount of resources we put into this sort of thing. But keep in mind that going to an event and reviewing a movie takes much, much more time than most of our other content. In that time we could write 5 other articles.

As you mentioned, Bungo Stray Dogs did finally screen in the USA, and fortunately we were at one of the events where it was screened, so Lynzee was able to review it.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1