• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
HIDIVE Launches on Fire TV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevruth
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Now Fire Stick?! What the heck. Roku has way more users than Fire Stick or Apple TV. <twiddling> Confused
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
kevruth wrote:
Now Fire Stick?! What the heck. Roku has way more users than Fire Stick or Apple TV. <twiddling> Confused

Patience is a virtue. I can guarantee you that they are working on a roku app. The Fire TV app was probably just finished first. It's not easy porting apps from one platform to another. They have completely different infrastructure and programming. I am also waiting for the PS4 app before I sign up myself. I can promise you that will be out after the Roku app.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the Roku app will be next. I know a while back they were asking if anyone would be interested in betaing it so hopefully they're just trying to fix as many bugs as possible before getting it out there instead of trying to rush it. I'd rather wait for a more stable version that get a buggy early version anyway (unless I was betaing it, anyway).
Drunkenpenguin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
No joke I signed up when they were giving away the service for like $3.99 or something like that just thinking that they already had an app on Amazon. So this is a nice surprise for the end of my work day. Looking forward to really checking out the service tonight.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
PS4 app is all I want. I was hoping it would drop today too.
I also hope when it does that it has an amazing look and user interface that doesn't crash.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
According to this https://www.hidive.com/devices HIDIVE has plans for Roku and XBOX apps for this year.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Great now i can watch Komugi R and CHU on Fire TV
@angelmcazares yes

Last edited by StarFan13 on Tue May 01, 2018 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I just wish they'd put out a PS4 app. I'd use the service vastly more than I do if they did.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
StarchildStorm wrote:
I just wish they'd put out a PS4 app. I'd use the service vastly more than I do if they did.

Same. I have a FireStick but I barely use it. I would be much more inclined to use the service when they finally get that Ps4 app.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
They really need to hurry with that Xbox app. I won't be getting Hidive until then.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting on Chromecast
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
kevruth wrote:
Now Fire Stick?! What the heck. Roku has way more users than Fire Stick or Apple TV.

Roku is basically not available at all outside North America except in a few select countries. The Fire TV Stick launched in the rest of the world just last November, so pretty much nobody has those yet. Meanwhile Apple TV has been available globally for years.

So it’s understandable why they’re prioritizing the launches in this order.

The lack of plans for Chromecast is odd, though. Around here everyone who uses an Android phone has one. Even odder is the lack of plans for the PS4.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:

The lack of plans for Chromecast is odd, though. Around here everyone who uses an Android phone has one. Even odder is the lack of plans for the PS4.

I’m actually curious as to why so many streaming services skip ththe PS4, or don’t launch there until some time after other platforms. I have a subscription to Shudder, and it’s been available for a few years now. It still doesn’t have a PS4 app. CBS All Access didn’t finally launch one until last year. However, both had Xbox apps launch earlier, and several other streaming apps have done the same.

I’m curious if PS4 is just more difficult to develop for, or if there is some other reason at play.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
kevruth wrote:

Part of it may be that once they had an Android app, they would have had most of the base code necessary for a Fire TV app. Likewise an iOS app would share a lot of code with the Apple TV app.

While I can't find it again now, I saw a recent summary of market share for each device, and it didn't put Fire TV as far behind as most might believe (although I have to wonder how many of those are simply jailbroken units using Kodi installations configured for viewing from piracy sources).
Drunkenpenguin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Turns out nothing to be excited about, the app isn't even available. You can download it through Amazon's app store but not to a firestick. Once I finally found it through the firestick amazon app it was unavailable for download. Pain in the ass is what it ended up being.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2