• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Maria Watches Over Us, Hataraki Man, Basquash!, Yumeiro Pâtissière, Voto

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope these all come out on home video. Especially the 80's Mecha!!
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So, I guess that red-tape backlog broke just a bit with Sunrise…just a bit…

Great news about Maria-sama! I was really impressed by it when I marathoned through it prior to the previous license expiration. I thought it wouldn't be on the shelf for long and that it was a natural for a English dub, but I didn't think either would come this quickly (though the latter's not finalize).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
EEEEEEEEEE!

I am so jazzed for Basquash. That show is just plain stupid fun with an enjoyable soundtrack, and I never thought it would see the light of day in English. I was pretty sure the Nike product placement killed it.

Xabungle, Ideon, and Votoms are also great news in my book.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Seemed like an inevitably we'd be getting Xabungle and Ideon after Dunbine made it (and I believe those two were listed on their site a while back). Happy to see it confirmed.

Xabungle is the best. Please watch Xabungle. It's the best.

VOTOMS is a surprise, but certainly a good one. I wonder if we might finally get the many OVAs? Some of VOTOMS' very best stuff is in those. Also, didn't Tim Eldred work on some kind of special features for the old ammo box era releases? Hopefully we get those too?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The panelists noted that there are talks for an English dub.

Holy (HONK), if that happens, I’ll GLADLY double dip for Maria Sama Ga Miteru!
Bamble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
I hope these all come out on home video. Especially the 80's Mecha!!

Agreed. I always think of Sentai's licensing of Urashiman as an unfortunate precedent for an 80s series that was never accorded a home video release.
Scias

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Great news all around! But man, I really hope Ideon, Xabungle and Votoms get bluray releases. I don't know how likely that will be, but I'd like to hope so.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm stupefied. Human Crossing got re-licensed? Is that a joke? I picked up the series many years after Genon went the way of the dodo from Rightstuf for I think $2 per single DVD. I've never heard much of any talk about it. It's just so ubiquitously not anime (or at least how anime is generally perceived) that I'm not surprised the singles were sitting in the $2 bargain bin even years after the series went out of print. It's not a bad series, the episodes are hit-and-miss for me, but I have no idea why Maiden Japan would decide to bring over that dead Geneon series (and not say Koi Kaze which is much more popular and well-known in anime fandom)

Awesome that I'll be able to own Hataraki Man now. Old Noitamina is best Noitamina.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
*sings the Xabungle theme song*
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Quote:
The panelists noted that there are talks for an English dub.

Holy (HONK), if that happens, I’ll GLADLY double dip for Maria Sama Ga Miteru!

Same! It would be my first double dip ever, and I would fork that money over gladly.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
So Yumeiro Pâtissière is finally going to get a home release most likely, which is good being that the anime can no longer be watched on Crunchyroll (as well as it's sequel which I hoped they license at some point. I never watching it). As for Maria Watches Over Use I think I recall seeing a bit of it years ago on Demand, but I think I never finish it for whatever reason. I do not remember as it's been a while. I will go check out that anime as well.

Now I just need a home release of A Place Further Than the Universe, Laid Back Camp, Little Witch Academia (including the pilot and movie), and Violet Evergarden and I will be satisfied. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
. It's not a bad series, the episodes are hit-and-miss for me, but I have no idea why Maiden Japan would decide to bring over that dead Geneon series (and not say Koi Kaze which is much more popular and well-known in anime fandom)

It was probably part of a licensing bundle. A good chunk of the shows they recently announced are from Dentsu, so they were probably all acquired together. The show may get a little more exposure now with online streaming and VOD.

Anyway, it’s good to see some more obscure and older titles finding a new home. It would be nice to see Maiden Japan further expand their portfolio. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that Maria will get a dub. A Bluray release and new dub would increase the likelihood of people double dipping. It would also be the longest series that MJ has dubbed.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow as a mecha fan this line up impresses me. I hope for Votoms soon on Hi Dive. I honestly wish they would hurry up with that PS4 app though I rarely watch anime on the computer anymore and prefer watching my anime laying in bed chilling out. xD Cool
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Now I just need a home release of A Place Further Than the Universe, Laid Back Camp, Little Witch Academia (including the pilot and movie), and Violet Evergarden and I will be satisfied. Very Happy

I doubt Maiden Japan would get them considering how popular they are. I suppose Funimation will do the first two and Violet Evergarden, and why the hell am I thinking Discotek Media of all people could get Little Witch Academia? Just my thoughts.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Scias wrote:
Great news all around! But man, I really hope Ideon, Xabungle and Votoms get bluray releases. I don't know how likely that will be, but I'd like to hope so.

I think the only one out of the three that has a Blu-ray release in Japan is Ideon so we'll probably get one for it but the other two will more than likely be DVD only.

It would be nice if they would confirm whether they licensed the Ideon movies or not. It would be a shame to get the TV series but then not get Be Invoked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3