• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
JoJo's back! Our Fridays are gonna be colorful for 39 weeks or so.
And yeah Giorno vs Bruno fight is glorious lol.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
One of the few Godfather parallels I can draw is how serious they are when comes to Drug issues. There are lots of shady underground business a large and decloped gang can access to, but the gangs in both shows draw a fine line on the drug deals, especially the ones that involve women and children (ep 2 is the prime example of this).

Of course, that won' t make the gangs "nice people" in a traditional sense, but it at least shows they have standards of what can or can't be done, as well as a faint sense of righteousness.

In a sin city where justice system cannot be relied upon, that's enough "golden spirits" in my book . Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I have actually not gotten this far in the manga so this is all new to me. I do love how each major arc of JoJo is essentially a different genre from the others. You have gothic vampires, world war II cyber nazis, indiana jones adventures, a small town murder mystery, and now gang wars. So many good series this season, it's a great time to be alive.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Finding Stand users should be super easy. Just look for the people with the most outlandish and flamboyant outfits and hair styles. Smile
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the song is 'Freek'N You&' by Jodeci, and I unfortunately I don't like this one at all.

Opinion discarded. Razz
It seems like David Productions keeps getting better. I feel like their adaptions get better every part.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
'As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Gang-Star'
-Giorno Giovanna
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
One of the few Godfather parallels I can draw is how serious they are when comes to Drug issues. There are lots of shady underground business a large and decloped gang can access to, but the gangs in both shows draw a fine line on the drug deals, especially the ones that involve women and children (ep 2 is the prime example of this).

It was a bit funny though to see them go all "aww, poor kid!" after one of them just put a freaking zipper on him and took over his body! That sure didn't look very healthy... Laughing

But yeah, JoJo is back! I love the OP and ED already and the outfits are fabulous as usual. Can't wait for more.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 am Reply with quote
We're only two episodes in, and I think Giorno is already threatening to become my favorite JoJo; he's such a fundamentally different character from Joseph (my current favorite), so I don't think it's an entirely fair/accurate comparison, but he's getting there. He's already the most nuanced JoJo, which I think points to Araki's evolution in his writing, and I'm completely sold on him as a main character. We got glimpses of this with Polnareff, and then Josuke as a proper JoJo, with more fleshing out of Joseph in subsequent parts, but I think it's clear Giorno represents a greater depth of character right off the bat.

As for the Stand battles, I'll have to disagree regarding how much sense they make; they're not easy to follow, but you can follow them. I think Giorno's power is more cohesive than you're giving it credit for, and Bruno's ability is excellent.

Regarding the art style/direction, I have to say I am a little disappointed that it feels more pedestrian than it has before, but this is coming off of the masterclass of visual style that was Part 4, so I guess I can't help but feel disappointed by comparison. And if you compare it to pretty much anything else airing this season, it's still in a league of its own, so there's that. And the sound design is as strong as ever, so we really can't act too spoiled.

Finally, for the ending, I really don't get people's problems with it. It's groovy as hell and fits perfectly. Great job, David Production.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me if I come here like the odd duck, but this new entry in the franchise is looking like the most dissapointing right now, for various reasons.
1-I´ve seen opinions online about how this entry is mediocre for JoJo´s standards, like both villain and protagonist are underdeveloped, and some events in the final chapters that seem to be written on the march. What´s worse is that the writers are going to copy-paste the entire manga in the animation, when they could write some anime-original stuff that fixes the mistakes in writing. If this entry is going to be yet another 1:1 adaptation for the sake of pleasing the fans, then I´m out of this series. If I want Part 5 as it is in the manga, then I´m just gonna read that, I want a good TV series and not the low-hanging-fruit effort of copying all the mistakes of the manga being translated into animation.

2-What I´ve seen about the visual direction looks way worse than the previous entries, especially Part 4, and too dissapointing in comparison to other TV series. Most of the talented staff for that series is working on the Captain Tsubasa anime from David Pro, so we´re left with crazy imagery and direction that doesn´t contribute to the storytelling(I mean, crazy and weird for crazy and weird´s sake), inconsistent background art with a weird mix of 2D and 3D, artstyle more minimalistic than in Part 4 but with little of the flavor, and a comic-book inspired shading that looks more like if they did that because they wanted to maintain the highly detailed desings from the manga instead of simplifying the designs.

3-Both visually and musically, the first OP and ED are super dissapointing. While I didn´t like Part 4´s first OP that much, it was both visually and musically exciting and pleasing to watch. But here, visually the OP is just crazy visuals for the sake of it and the song lacks some punch and energy. In the ED, the visuals are a super lazy scrolling image with the characters and their stands and even for a series set in the 2000´s, an R&B song isn´t a good choice for the end theme.

Even for as much as I like the JoJo franchise and Part 4 is my favorite part, I doubt this part will be all that good even as a standalone series. As far as I´ve seen online opinions, most fans overlook the flaws present so far because this is gonna be yet another 1;1 adaptation and they want just that, but I want something better and so far this is not looking like 'better'. Now, if you´re willing to tell me what good stuff can I expect of this new entry, ou can tell me and I´ll consider my opinion.
Alex3142

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Excuse me if I come here like the odd duck, but this new entry in the franchise is looking like the most dissapointing right now, for various reasons.
1-I´ve seen opinions online about how this entry is mediocre for JoJo´s standards, like both villain and protagonist are underdeveloped, and some events in the final chapters that seem to be written on the march. What´s worse is that the writers are going to copy-paste the entire manga in the animation, when they could write some anime-original stuff that fixes the mistakes in writing. If this entry is going to be yet another 1:1 adaptation for the sake of pleasing the fans, then I´m out of this series. If I want Part 5 as it is in the manga, then I´m just gonna read that, I want a good TV series and not the low-hanging-fruit effort of copying all the mistakes of the manga being translated into animation.

2-What I´ve seen about the visual direction looks way worse than the previous entries, especially Part 4, and too dissapointing in comparison to other TV series. Most of the talented staff for that series is working on the Captain Tsubasa anime from David Pro, so we´re left with crazy imagery and direction that doesn´t contribute to the storytelling(I mean, crazy and weird for crazy and weird´s sake), inconsistent background art with a weird mix of 2D and 3D, artstyle more minimalistic than in Part 4 but with little of the flavor, and a comic-book inspired shading that looks more like if they did that because they wanted to maintain the highly detailed desings from the manga instead of simplifying the designs.

3-Both visually and musically, the first OP and ED are super dissapointing. While I didn´t like Part 4´s first OP that much, it was both visually and musically exciting and pleasing to watch. But here, visually the OP is just crazy visuals for the sake of it and the song lacks some punch and energy. In the ED, the visuals are a super lazy scrolling image with the characters and their stands and even for a series set in the 2000´s, an R&B song isn´t a good choice for the end theme.

Even for as much as I like the JoJo franchise and Part 4 is my favorite part, I doubt this part will be all that good even as a standalone series. As far as I´ve seen online opinions, most fans overlook the flaws present so far because this is gonna be yet another 1;1 adaptation and they want just that, but I want something better and so far this is not looking like 'better'. Now, if you´re willing to tell me what good stuff can I expect of this new entry, ou can tell me and I´ll consider my opinion.

Dude it's your decision. Nobody's forcing you to watch this if you don't want to.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Having read the manga, put me in the "Golden Wind is the weakest JoJo Part" camp. Though the reasons why really can't be talk about until we get to near the very end. But in brief and non-spoilery as possible. How the cast is used. How lackluster the main villain turns out be compared to Dio, The Pillar Men, Kira and the main antagonists of Part 6 and 7 and then there's his Stand which drives fandom so crazy trying to figure out how exactly it works that it became a meme. How the final battle ends also tends to sour the ending for people.

That being said there still are alot of good points. Fantastic battles with ever more complex and creative Stand abilities Wonderful use of Italy as a setting. Bruno who is probably the second best supporting protagonist in JoJo, etc. But in the end, it is destined to look a little disappointing when sandwiched between Diamond is Unbreakable and Stone Ocean when it gets it's anime in the 2020s. The best the anime adaptation can do is sand the rough edges of the manga version off like with Parts 1 and 2.

Also, the art and direction of the anime seems as strong and stylish as ever to me.

Last edited by Zeino on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shinji Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhhhh! To think when you just finished watching a pretty great anime you are greeted with the sultry voice of none other than, Jodeci. Wow, Jojo always knows when to surprise and awe you. And, this season is doing just that.
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
of 'Bloody Stream' fame, objectively the second-best JoJo opening

Excuse me? Did a reviewer, whose job is literally to write opinions, just describe their own personal opinion as objective?

I'm all for people sharing and supporting their ideas, but outta here if you try and pass them for 'objective'.
Cab329

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I would agree with part 5’s manga being on the lower end (and only not bottom since I haven’t finished steel ball run yet (which is awesome I just don’t want to rank until I’ve finished)

If you’re worried about Giorno’s stand being a bit overwhelming with all its abilities, don’t worry, most of them won’t be appearing again and he’ll just stick to turning inanimate things into living things) I think the attack reflection never shows up again and the supercharging a person’s senses (filling them with life) is used like once more. Without spoiling too much, while he gets plenty of fights, I would day the lions share goes to other characters.

I like the animation and artstyle for the show so far (though seeing the big ass shoulder pads from part 3 return surprised me).

So far, the changes are welcome. Giorno’s walk from the first episode was great at setting the world up and building up Luca was a nice touch (in the manga IIRC It starts with Koichi at the airport and Luca only appears when he come to shake down Giorno)

Also, Giorno’s backstory additions were nice. They didn’t change and only enhanced the story. Now let’s see if they can do the same with the main Villain or the second to last fight (the former who is kind of all over the damn place and the latter which stretches on and has a couple of moments where you have to wonder if Araki was changing his mind week to week on how the stand would work).

“FIGHTING GOLD” didn’t hit me that hard at first but it’s been building in my head all weekend. I love the crap out of it now. The visuals are also really damn good from a thematic standpoint (though if you don’t want spoilers, do NOT watch an analysis of the opening as it has references to stuff from the last chapter of the manga and most of the ending arcs.

I actually kind of dig the ED song...though the visuals were a let down.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:
Quote:
of 'Bloody Stream' fame, objectively the second-best JoJo opening

Excuse me? Did a reviewer, whose job is literally to write opinions, just describe their own personal opinion as objective?

I'm all for people sharing and supporting their ideas, but outta here if you try and pass them for 'objective'.

It's a joke, because taste in music is one of the least objective things out there. The point is that he likes it that much, not that he actually thinks it's objectively the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14