• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Godzilla Lives on Forever as NASA Designated Constellation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Cool. But okaaay.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Yay. Awesome Sauce!
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
"We mapped him!"
"Take that, you dinosaur!"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Are these official and recognized by the IAU? I can't find anything on what sort of map these 21st-century constellations would be in or what they're for, considering the 88 modern constellations together already fill the entire sky and thus there wouldn't be any need for more of these for identifying things in the sky by location.

I'm guessing it's a sort of just-for-fun thing. Nothing wrong with that, especially if it gets people interested in these lesser-known astonomical objects that these constellations are made of.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Are these official and recognized by the IAU? I can't find anything on what sort of map these 21st-century constellations would be in or what they're for, considering the 88 modern constellations together already fill the entire sky and thus there wouldn't be any need for more of these for identifying things in the sky by location.

I'm guessing it's a sort of just-for-fun thing. Nothing wrong with that, especially if it gets people interested in these lesser-known astonomical objects that these constellations are made of.

These are gamma-ray "constellations," so they're made up of objects that (generally speaking) aren't visible to the naked eye. It's just a fun thing that the team running the Fermi gamma-ray observatory is doing.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Clarification: Constellations don't live "forever". As stars position changes over time as it revolve along the galaxy ,so Godzilla's star pattern will be near indistinguishable for the next couple thousand years.

(Brought to you by a random weeb who loved ass-tronomy.)
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news. Such a great pop icon not even just in Japan. Glad it finally got immoratlized Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
These are gamma-ray "constellations," so they're made up of objects that (generally speaking) aren't visible to the naked eye. It's just a fun thing that the team running the Fermi gamma-ray observatory is doing.

Thanks. It didn't make sense for me to have new constellations added, especially ones trademarked by other companies. Though it still is weird to me for there to be constellations for gamma ray objects (I know what they are, just that I never really thought them that big a deal except the danger they might pose to Earth if any of them are pointed our way).

I appreciate it all the same, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1