• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Promised Neverland Anime Listed With 12 Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
I pretty much expected The Promised Neverland to be 12 episodes since it's a Noitamina show and so is the new Ikuhara show which is also airing during the Noitamina block during the spring season. But hopefully it won't be too long of a wait for season two.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
Fortunately there is already more than enough material for a Season 2, heck a Season 3 too depending on how they break it down (though it might be best to do one 2 cour season instead), so as long as the anime does well I expect we'll be seeing more soon.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
I’m hoping we get a My Hero Academia style approach personally.

Most of my worries about the quality of the adaptation have been dashed thankfully.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, even if the manga is supposedly going to be ending some time in the near future, there is no way that the anime adaptation isn't going to be around for quite a few years to come.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 am Reply with quote
No surprise tbh. Most series are one cour nowadays (for the first season). And judging by episode one, it seems as though they pacing will be on the faster side anyway, so they probably want to spread it out to maintain a healthy gap between the anime and the manga until it ends.

All I will say now is that it's chances of ranking number 1 in manga sales by the end of the year are probably dashed now, unless it get's it's season two this year (but even then, it's still unlikely cause it would most likely air starting in october, so it would only gain about an extra month and a half worth of anime boosted sales). It's kinda disappointing cause it could really push One Piece for number 1 with two cours with this year (or at least two full cours). It certainly had the scope to do so based on how much it sold last year. But who knows, maybe just one cour (or a little less than two) may just be enough.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote
My Hero Academia was already pretty popular during it's first cour even back when people complained about it's pacing back in those early episodes. If Promised Neverland is moving at a faster pace than MHA season one did but not as fast as Karakuri Circus, it might still have a chance to boost the manga.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
My Hero Academia was already pretty popular during it's first cour even back when people complained about it's pacing back in those early episodes. If Promised Neverland is moving at a faster pace than MHA season one did but not as fast as Karakuri Circus, it might still have a chance to boost the manga.

Those were two entirely separate points. What I'm saying is that they're probably only doing one cour because they're adapting it with faster pacing.

And my other point was that because it's only 12 episodes, that means it only has 12 weeks on air to boost manga sales. If it was 24 episodes, than it would have 24 weeks on air to boost manga sales. Generally, the longer an anime is on air, the longer manga sales are boosted due to longer exposure and promotion time. Manga sales will go up regardless, and it will probably skyrocket and do insanely high numbers for those 12 weeks the anime is on air, but manga sales will likely drop back down after that.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote
I seem to remember some pre-release information saying the first season of the anime will cover up to the end of the first arc. 12 episodes should be enough to do that, and make for a satisfying stopping point.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Definitely a standout series in this Winter Season. The pacing in the first episode was great to me. I think this will be a good adaption.

Can’t wait to see this series catapult its status and sales. It deserves.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I seem to remember some pre-release information saying the first season of the anime will cover up to the end of the first arc. 12 episodes should be enough to do that, and make for a satisfying stopping point.

That's correct and my impressions of the first episode were that it was a tad bit too fast. They managed to squeeze in about 3 chapters worth of material from the introduction of the characters to the point where the demons were introduced after the death of that girl.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:

That's correct and my impressions of the first episode were that it was a tad bit too fast. They managed to squeeze in about 3 chapters worth of material

huh? The first episode just covered the first chapter of the manga. They expanded and rearranged a couple of moments but there's nothing from chapters 2 or 3 in there.

AutoOps007 wrote:
Manga sales will go up regardless, and it will probably skyrocket and do insanely high numbers for those 12 weeks the anime is on air, but manga sales will likely drop back down after that.

Not necessarily. While sales will almost certainly spike from people picking up the manga for the first time, the goal of an adaptation like this is to generate a larger sustained readership - if TPN's anime is successful, it won't just mean a boost in sales for a few months, but a boost across the rest of the manga's lifetime + an increase in sales of past volumes as people catch up
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Not necessarily. While sales will almost certainly spike from people picking up the manga for the first time, the goal of an adaptation like this is to generate a larger sustained readership - if TPN's anime is successful, it won't just mean a boost in sales for a few months, but a boost across the rest of the manga's lifetime + an increase in sales of past volumes as people catch up

When I said drop down, I didn't mean drop down to numbers that were the same or lower than before the anime started. Like it would probably sell extremely well during the anime's run, and then drop down to a number that is still significantly higher than before the anime started, but not as extremely high as when the anime was still ongoing. Obviously the manga is going to have better sales for the rest of it's entire run, but what I meant is the extremely high sales when the anime first comes out. Like look at the Seven Deadly Sins; it did insanely high numbers during the anime's run, and although manga sales have increased significantly since it got it's anime, it hasn't done anywhere those insane numbers since the anime's first season ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1