• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kemurikusa

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched episode one last night, and found it enjoyable. Going to keep watching.
zenbud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see Kemono Friends 2 surpassing this series easily in sales.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
zenbud wrote:
Can't wait to see Kemono Friends 2 surpassing this series easily in sales.

That’s kindof like hoping EA’s FIFA 2019 will outsell some indie game, it’s a forgone conclusion but you’re just betting on some soleless husk of a franchise that was only popular due to the underpaid hard work of someone who was then kicked out because the ROI would be greater with another director.

I know it’s hip to hate on internet trends but there’s a reason more people support TATSUKI vs. Kadokawa.
syoshii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
I do recommend all of you to watch the series of short prologue videos which Tatsuki has posted on Twitter. They give you a sneak peek of what happened before the main story starts, the relationships between each of those girls including who are already dead, and why Rin's outfit is something like that now.

Last edited by syoshii on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
syoshii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:39 am Reply with quote
A spin-off manga titled "Kemurikusa: Wakaba Memo" which is created by the director Tatsuki himself has just started on the latest monthly manga magazine "Ultra Jump" (published in Japan today). The story is narrated from Wakaba's viewpoint and I think it is going to provide us the background of this character and also the world of Kemurikusa.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
It's decent but really slow, I feel like every conversation is repeated 3-4 time (how many time did we get the "is he a red bug or not" conversation at this point). Hope it pick up the pace
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
syoshii wrote:
I do recommend all of you to watch the series of short prologue videos which Tatsuki has posted on Twitter. They give you a sneak peek of what happened before the main story starts, the relationships between each of those girls including who is already dead, and why Rin's outfit is something like that now.
I will try but when they first appeared they weren't subtitled so I found it hard to understand what was happening. I was expecting those to be integrated into Ep1 but at Ep2 I'm still a little underwhelmed (confused?) by the storytelling like meiam. Also, the hints of romantic feelings in Rin for Wakaba is too underdeveloped and unnecessary if you ask me which is concerning...
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm interested. But sadly its on amazon. Not really willing to pay for a service that does not have much other anime. Also there is about 70% chance this is region-locked to me anyway.
syoshii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 am Reply with quote
The story of ep1 and ep2 is based on the original short series of Kemurikusa which was posted to Niconico Douga back in 2010-2012, and completely new story will start from ep3. That's why the OP was aired first at the end of ep2 (yes, that's the OP, not ED. ED will be added from ep3). Looks like Tatsuki is dropping a lot of hints to the things that will happen later in these first 2 episodes, just like he did at Kemono Friends.
This is just my guess at the moment, but probably the setting of the story is inspired by the early days of the earth when primitive living organisms which produce oxygen have appeared, and the background of the story is the history of life, just like Kemono Friends had the history of human beings behind the story. And Rin's crush on Wakaba shows the beginning of sexually reproducing organisms.
EiMs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
Terry Lang wrote:
I'm interested. But sadly its on amazon. Not really willing to pay for a service that does not have much other anime. Also there is about 70% chance this is region-locked to me anyway.

No, it is available world-wide except Chine on Amazon you can check here they have about 43 anime titles available world wide so you can take one month for 2,99eur.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply! Will look into it further then.
syoshii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
One thing that we should keep in our mind is that apparently Tatsuki is NOT going to create a moe anime or an action anime which you can see at everywhere. He is trying to create something different.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
Ok I looked into this and it seems kinda sketchy. To start the trial I need to give a credit card, which for some reason is the only accepted payment method. They really don't want to state what they are going to charge once the trial is over. After much searching it seems its 6 euros a month, maybe.

I'll pass for now. But may look into it again later.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy watching grimdark Kemono Friends. Okay that description would better apply to Killing Bites but Kemurikusa is going for a fairly serious tone. This is a story where a family fights to survive another week in the post apocalypse and they routinely talk about dead family members. Kemurikusa almost feels like a Hollywood story especially with the strong female fighter and the weak male nerd being the main romantic couple. The layers of mystery to the show are interesting though the real test will be how well the show resolves them.
EiMs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Terry Lang wrote:
Ok I looked into this and it seems kinda sketchy. To start the trial I need to give a credit card, which for some reason is the only accepted payment method. They really don't want to state what they are going to charge once the trial is over. After much searching it seems its 6 euros a month, maybe.

I'll pass for now. But may look into it again later.

What I can say from my experience with prime videos they charge after 7d trial for upcoming month. Taking about price for me they gave the 50% discount for 6 months. I checked their page and I see they still offering this deal at my region. Of course if you just use it one time and then cancel you will have to pay full price if you what to re-subscribe it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4