• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Named By Parents 'Prince' Legally Changes Name to Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls' Charac

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Creativity is great but not when you're deciding your child's name.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I get that Japanese names are highly androgynous, but he’s naming himself after a girl?

That’s going to make for even weirder conversations.

But still, it’s his decision, and we should be happy for him!
Miporin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hajime with several writings is a normal name for men and women in Japan, and it's not clear whether the Idolm@ster character was actually his main inspiration.

Ōjisama on the other hand essentially isn't a name and certainly is very unusual and potentially confusing. More like someone being named His Highness (since ōji-sama likewise is used as a form of address... at least in anime/other fiction!) in English than like being named Prince (like one P. Rogers Nelson).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:

Yeah, I wonder how 7 year old Dovahkiin is doing. But unlike the Japanese, most of us have a middle name we can fall back on. But really parents should just save the crazy names for the middle names.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
MihoWittmann wrote:
Hajime with several writings is a normal name for men and women in Japan, and it's not clear whether the Idolm@ster character was actually his main inspiration.

Well, according to the article:

"Akaike, who is 18, told Yahoo! News that the name and kanji spelling 肇 is inspired by Hajime Fujiwara, an Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls character. However, the name was also inspired by Hajime Kawakami, a Japanese Marxist economist of the Taishō and early Shōwa periods."

So not necessarily the main inspiration but definitely a bit part of it.

And yeah I echo the comments some have made here that parents really need to be mindful of the potential for bullying and other social consequences that could happen if they give their children bizarre or unusual names. It's one thing to change your name to something silly as an adult, then you get to make the choice yourself, but kids have no choice in the matter and bullies can be incredibly cruel.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I get that Japanese names are highly androgynous, but he’s naming himself after a girl?

That’s going to make for even weirder conversations.

Not really. Absent people recognising him from this, it's doubtful anyone would hear the given name "Hajime" and think it must be in reference to this specific female character. Like, if a man introduced himself as Alex, you wouldn't think he must have named himself after Alex Vause from Orange Is The New Black. It's not impossible that he did; his parents might have named him something ridiculous and lacking any other inspiration for a more mundane name picked his favourite character from his favourite TV show and not especially cared about the character's gender if the name's neutral, but it's not the first assumption you'd make. It's a common name, suitable for any gender.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

Yeah, I wonder how 7 year old Dovahkiin is doing. But unlike the Japanese, most of us have a middle name we can fall back on. But really parents should just save the crazy names for the middle names.

Emerje

Gamesradar did an article just last year on the subject, looks like the kid is doing well.

The next question is going to be what about the kids named "Khaleesi".
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
I can sort of understand when you have names like "Hime" for girls, but I can only imagine how awkward introducing yourself with that kind of name is. Not to mention the double honorific that he probably had to deal with..."Oji-sama-kun"....I guess it's a little better than being named "Oji" and being called "Oji-san" (uncle).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1