• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Asura Cryin', Kanamemo Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Kanamemo - That show that features my most hated anime character ever...
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

The lesbian pedophile, right?
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Right.

If there's one character I wish was the Kenny McCormick or Scratchy of the anime world more than someone like Naru Narugesawa, its her.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
nice. think i'll get Kanamemo
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Not seen either of these series, but saw that Asura Cryin' has 2 seasons, which both aired in 09. Have both been picked up? Unless I missed it, article doesn't seem to mention this.
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Not seen either of these series, but saw that Asura Cryin' has 2 seasons, which both aired in 09. Have both been picked up? Unless I missed it, article doesn't seem to mention this.

It doesn't mention if they are licensed both seasons or on considering both season as one season.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I vaguely remember Kanamemo - at least I somewhat recall watching an anime with that general premise, which I don't know there are a lot of anime with such a premise. Given how little I remember of it, I am simultaneously interested in watching it again, and fairly certain I won't like it.

Asura Cryin I do remember a lot better. I've watched it a couple times. It's... odd. Even when I originally watched it, it came across odd that it was even given a chance at a second season. Not because it was abjectly terrible, but it was so borderline that there were plenty of other shows that deserved one (and never got one) that I assumed at first it would just be part of the unwashed heap of single-season anime with bad/incomplete endings. I do recall them pulling a lot of anime sci-fi shenanigans in the plot, and that the CGI effects were a little wonky even for its day and age. I thought it was streaming on Crunchyroll last I glanced by it. Might be time to revisit, see how well it aged.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

It doesn't mention if they are licensed both seasons or on considering both season as one season.

Neither does it mention whether both series will no longer be available in crunchyroll (they never give us a list of what series will be removed) albeit chances are they will be available in hidive (hopefully with translations to other languages beside english).

Also, if memory serves correctly both series were at the time dvd only, so no mention if they will do a full blu-ray upgrade, an upscale or blu-ray SD.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kanamemo better be uncensored because it was censored on CrunchyRoll.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Also, if memory serves correctly both series were at the time dvd only, so no mention if they will do a full blu-ray upgrade, an upscale or blu-ray SD.

We'll probably find out on Thursday when the full June solicitations are up and if it's SD, hopefully they don't screw these up like they did for their already finished releases like Votoms TV, Xabungle, Human Crossing and other titles they won't fix.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Recently rewatched Kanamemo as I figured it'd never get a disc release here after this long. Fairly charming show, though we could've done without the Saki service scenes. At least the hated character mentioned above gets physically punished for her transgressions on a regular basis.

Asura Cryin' fell into that "flawed, yet strangely compelling" category, so I'd planned on revisiting it in some form or another.

DRosencraft wrote:
Asura Cryin I do remember a lot better. I've watched it a couple times. It's... odd. Even when I originally watched it, it came across odd that it was even given a chance at a second season. Not because it was abjectly terrible, but it was so borderline that there were plenty of other shows that deserved one (and never got one) that I assumed at first it would just be part of the unwashed heap of single-season anime with bad/incomplete endings.
With only three months between the broadcasts, it's likely that it was planned to be 26 episodes with a break for production/scheduling reasons, rather than getting a second season based on the ratings/sales of the first season.

NJ_ wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

We'll probably find out on Thursday when the full June solicitations are up and if it's SD, hopefully they don't screw these up like they did for their already finished releases like Votoms TV, Xabungle, Human Crossing and other titles they won't fix.

Of course, there is another option, even if it's perceived as "outdated" -- good ol' DVDs. IIRC Sentai did say that DVDs would still be possible for shows without HD materials. And if they can't do upscaled Blu-Rays (still no BD in Japan for either show, so the Anti-Reverse-Import watchdogs might not allow them here), I'd rather get competent DVDs over messed-up SDBD.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Right.

If there's one character I wish was the Kenny McCormick or Scratchy of the anime world more than someone like Naru Narugesawa, its her.

This show has such characters? I always thought it was quite innocent moe shoujo ai. However, now I don't even remember the synopsis.
jree78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
I love Asura Cryin I hope it gets a bluray release if possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1