• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inazuma Eleven Ares Anime Premieres on Disney XD on April 13

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
Wow. If the dub names are all going to be as uninspired as "Sonny Wright", I may end up importing the Japanese version of the game after all.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well, if their dub of Doraemon is anything to go by, we can at least trust Disney to keep the music, the original dialogue, and at least keep some of the original intent of the show. It's more than I can say for other companies (*coughcoughSabancoughcough*) that try to shoehorn bad jokes and pandering dialogue in kids anime all the time.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Im still giggling over the name changes, nosaka yuma isnt hard for kids to say,

Still Heath Moore is growing on me.

Only thing I dont understand is KIRASTAR -> PoleStar? Am I missing something here.
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Feels weird that the anime adaptation is already getting a dub and the game isn't even out yet.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
Feels weird that the anime adaptation is already getting a dub and the game isn't even out yet.

someday it will stop getting delayed
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It's already been a year since the first anime season premiered, and that's already some time after both it and the game were announced and then delayed the first time. It's slowly dawning on me that opting to wait on starting the anime until I've played the game may not have been the best move.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
These names had me rolling at 10am. They're so bad, even the hissatsu shoots. Sparky Spin Laughing
At least the (really bad) dub of the original IE series tried with some of the names:
Mamoru Endou turned into Mark Evans (same initials)
Gouenji Shuuya turned into Axel Blaze (not close to his name at all, but his last name indicates he specializes in fire shoots),
Kidou Yuuto turned into Jude Sharp (I have no clue, maybe because he keeps a sharp eye on the field? I'm reaching)
There's no excuse for Haizaki's name change. Elliot Embers???? The guy uses penguin shoots for crying out loud! I have no idea what kind of name you'd get from that, but dangit be consistent Laughing
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Inazuma would have been better off on FS1 or FS2. Fox Sports already has the rights to FIFA coverage, and this could've been a good lead-in to FIFA games or, even better, the World Cup.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Inazuma would have been better off on FS1 or FS2. Fox Sports already has the rights to FIFA coverage, and this could've been a good lead-in to FIFA games or, even better, the World Cup.

It wouldn't be a good fit for either channels, tbh. They're focused on non-fictional sports programming aimed at older audiences (most of which wouldn't be interested in watching a fictional soccer show aimed at kids).
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I predicted Inazuma Eleven coming to Disney X-D on a blog about three years ago. Better late than never.

Last edited by CatSword on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

It wouldn't be a good fit for either channels, tbh. They're focused on non-fictional sports programming aimed at older audiences (most of which wouldn't be interested in watching a fictional soccer show aimed at kids).

True. Then again, I always think retrograde for some reason. Fox used to air a NASCAR cartoon every Saturday Morning in 2001 as a lead in to NASCAR races.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Well, if their dub of Doraemon is anything to go by, we can at least trust Disney to keep the music, the original dialogue, and at least keep some of the original intent of the show. It's more than I can say for other companies (*coughcoughSabancoughcough*) that try to shoehorn bad jokes and pandering dialogue in kids anime all the time.

The X-D dub for Yo-Kai Watch was pretty much in the Doraemon style--even bringing back Johnny Yong Bosch for the young hero--even if the show itself wasn't...exactly.....Doraemon. Confused
(Even trying to word-accurately sticks to the original OP and ED themes, although they didn't always survive the translation.)

Think we can come out from underneath our beds and say that 4Kids is dead--even a PrettyCure couldn't save them--and whatever few series do get cable broadcast, namely sports and marketing, don't have as much to apologize for.
Still....ouch, those names.
lumclaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to give them credit. They're this determined to sweep the second and third games under the rug, in the hope US fans forget about it. The first game was put on the eShop to fade into obscurity.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

To be fair to the mouse, they have nothing to do with the character name changes. Level-5 has been mandating them from the start, to the point where these exact names were used in the subtitles for Animax Asia's simulcast.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Think we can come out from underneath our beds and say that 4Kids is dead--even a PrettyCure couldn't save them--and whatever few series do get cable broadcast, namely sports and marketing, don't have as much to apologize for.
Still....ouch, those names.

4Kids didn't do Glitter Force, Saban did.

There are still a number of terribly localized anime dubs being made, though. Thankfully they appear to be short lived as anime doesn't have much market on childrens TV these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2