• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rakuma Poll: Over 80% of High School Girls Identify as an 'Otaku' of Something

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that next generation of Japanese youth are broad-minded. There is nothing no wrong or shameful with being Otaku provided it doesn't make you lose perspective on other things in life.

Last edited by Zeino on Sun May 19, 2019 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Agreed as long you balance being an Otaku with other parts of life there is no problem. When one part takes over then there is a problem.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
74.1% Idol otaku?

Oh dear god. Male idols also have their fair share of mad otaku specially in the K-Pop scene.
zenbud

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
There's so many researchs like that in Japan and we still have generalizations in the anime/manga community about otaku. It's impressive.
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the results of this poll are skewed due to being limited to users of this specific app. Would there be such a high rate of self-identified "otaku" among the general population, or are users of this app just more likely to be that kind of person?
Super_M

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if is huge gap between idol fans and anime fans among male otaku.

Anime about idols so far as I know are unpopular at west. Western audience prefer typical battle shounen from WSJ than next part of Idolm@ster. Plus anime about idols are usualy smaller part of bigger franchise which most of the material are untranslated and available only in Japan.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
ANN Reader's Poll: Over 80% of High School Americans Identify as an 'Otaku'
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Once “otaku” was a contemptuous term for geeks, but now most young people use it as a synonym for “I am fond of something.” Eh, if I were a Japanese otaku, I would be a little hurt.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm so tired of musicals. Just give me more yaoi anime, some actual bara anime for the first time, and more anime like Kiss Him, Not Me.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Researchers Shocked to Discover That Teenage Girls Have Interests
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
K-pop... Seriously?
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Not shocked on any of this. Only glad there is a number on exactly how much/percentage.

As I said, not surprised high school girls are 'otakus'. I've met more anime/manga fans that were female. Not saying this as a biological female but from my many years of experience. Many groups of anime/manga + clubs had the male students/fans mostly watched dragon ball or anything of a big three. The most they knew was 5 anime. While the female classmates/fans had watched a lot and knew a lot more too.

I'm not saying women know more than men when it comes to being super fans. I'm just saying that results like this and stereotypes tend to the opposite. Kinda like how people think that all girls/women want to date/married/love crazy when it's not true. Instead, boys/men are more wanting to date/marry/love crazy far more than them from a research study.'

Edit + update: I'm deeply sorry. I forgot to mention that I mean this is my personal experience and from the west. Yeah, most is idols but that's why my own experience.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
K-pop... Seriously?

K-Pop is incredibly popular all over the world, so why do you think that Japan, with its idol culture, has passed it by?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
74.1% Idol otaku?

Oh dear god. Male idols also have their fair share of mad otaku specially in the K-Pop scene.

Presumably the 74.1% counts both male and female idols. Not really that surprising, given the huge teenage fanbase of boy-bands in the US. We don't have a whole lot of idol-style girl-bands, though, come to think of it.

The insane global popularity of K-pop is kind of a mystery to me, though. All the bands are doing essentially the same manufactured act. Seems like it mostly just comes from clever marketing, but the fact that it works so well is a bit disappointing.

Interesting that "otaku" seems to have mostly lost its stigma, though. Last time I'd checked, it was one of those words you shouldn't use around an actual Japanese person.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
74.1% Idol otaku?

Presumably the 74.1% counts both male and female idols. Not really that surprising, given the huge teenage fanbase of boy-bands in the US. We don't have a whole lot of idol-style girl-bands, though, come to think of it.

The insane global popularity of K-pop is kind of a mystery to me, though. All the bands are doing essentially the same manufactured act. Seems like it mostly just comes from clever marketing, but the fact that it works so well is a bit disappointing.

Interesting that "otaku" seems to have mostly lost its stigma, though. Last time I'd checked, it was one of those words you shouldn't use around an actual Japanese person.

There it is separately stipulated that we are talking about male idols.

Well, I will not talk about quality of music, but their marketing is really strong. Especially the Korean system of Fendoms, which are almost openly positioned as lobby organizations or religious cults.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2