• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Piracy Site Manga Rock Shuts Down

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Another pirated manga sites shut down. This is also somewhat, i mean, how is it going to be impossible for pirated mangas to read it manga online in the near future if all the pirated sites that host pirated manga is becoming obsolete.

I can't read the manga legally though, because some catalogs on legal/licensed manga are very limited though based on my region.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Good riddance. Never liked them anyways. Getting people to pay for manga that they stole is crap. If you were gonna pay anyone, pay the people that at least put in work to translate the manga. Not some trashy website.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Another pirated manga sites shut down. This is also somewhat, i mean, how is it going to be impossible for pirated mangas to read it manga online in the near future if all the pirated sites that host pirated manga is becoming obsolete.

I can't read the manga legally though, because some catalogs on legal/licensed manga are very limited though based on my region.

You could always go to the 100 or so other sites Rolling Eyes

I don't know why they think this still works, it's better to give people a cheap incentive to support the industry. Shounen Jump did that, and it's working well for them.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

There's still a market for pirate sites for doujinshi and hentai manga and probably be that way pretty much forever.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Headline is misleading since it implies the site is shutdown NOW.

Quote:
The service's website is currently inaccessible
It's working perfectly fine for me. Not sure when you checked but all their stuff is working fine now. Either they're lying about shutting down, or they were just coincidentally offline when you checked and will shut down later. However as of now they're still advertising their latest update and have made no official statement about shutting down.

Really getting sick of the lies people spread about how piracy "hurts" real industry. All research I've been able to find has only shown that piracy does no harm or actually helps because pirates are usually people that would either never pay to begin with or CANNOT pay. No money is lost to these kinds of people. https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/22/eu-suppressed-study-piracy-no-sales-impact/

Last edited by Takizawa-Shinzou on Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
My only problems with these sites are
A) Hosting stuff with legally available translations (some sites only have recent, un-TL'd chapters and delete the old ones as they come out legally)
and
B) Having the gall to charge for hosting it

I don't have a problem with scanlations at all as long as they don't do either of the above.
Doing it for profit is where I draw the line. That's when it goes from "just helping to share" to being an active evil.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At that time, we didn't understand the manga industry, and we didn't know the origin of the scanlations (including things without official licenses).
Oh please. I'm not buying it.

Aca Vuksa wrote:
This is also somewhat, i mean, how is it going to be impossible for pirated mangas to read it manga online in the near future if all the pirated sites that host pirated manga is becoming obsolete.
I imagine there'll be other sites that don't share MR's feigned concern about the manga industry, plus the traditional piracy scene of downloading .zip/.rar/.7z files via IRC or torrent sites. The real harm from MR and its ilk comes from presenting manga as MAGICAL FREE STUFF that simply appears in seemingly-legitimate apps distributed in major app stores. At least with traditional piracy, you had the sense of going underground and getting "something for nothing." If they never see manga as a commercial product that takes work and effort to create, translate, and distribute, app users are only going to be resentful if they're ever told otherwise. All that that "but the exposure from piracy actually helps artists Wink" is a bunch of nonsense.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Really getting sick of the lies people spread about how piracy "hurts" real industry. All research I've been able to find has only shown that piracy does no harm or actually helps because pirates are usually people that would either never pay to begin with or CANNOT pay. No money is lost to these kinds of people. https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/22/eu-suppressed-study-piracy-no-sales-impact/
That study doesn't account for the freeloading attitudes pervasive in the anime/manga userbase, though. Users who have a "stick it to the man" rebellious attitude towards anything official (grounded in edits/censorship from 20 years ago), think they're entitled to read/watch whatever they want as long as they can find something to complain about with official services, and think that they don't need to support niche-content industries because they believe high-spending Japanese superfans will subsidize their entertainment. Ask Tokyopop, Geneon, Bandai, Central Park Media, etc. how much piracy helped them.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
[That study doesn't account for the uniquely toxic freeloading attitudes of the anime/manga userbase, though. Users who have a "stick it to the man" rebellious attitude towards anything official (grounded in edits/censorship from 20 years ago), think they're entitled to read/watch whatever they want as long as they can find something to complain about with official services, and think that they don't need to support niche-content industries because they believe high-spending Japanese superfans will subsidize their entertainment. Ask Tokyopop, Geneon, Bandai, Central Park Media, etc. how much piracy helped them.

It DOES account for them. That's exactly the type that I meant. Those kinds are just making BS excuses instead of just admitting the basic truth - They're the people that will NEVER pay for manga no matter what. If there's no way to pirate it, they just won't read it. They'll pirate something else. That's how most pirates of today are. The other kind of pirate is the kind that does buy it when they can find a legal way to do so, and only pirate because there is no legal way. Piracy HELPS in this case because it exposed the manga to an audience that would otherwise not have access. If it does eventually get released legally, most the fans buy it. Look at visual novels like Clannad. We had fan translations over a decade before it was officially released in English. But (anecdote) most people that used fan translation I know still bought it when it came over because they could afford to do so. I imagine there's still some piracy from people that will NEVER pay, but that's exactly what my point is. Piracy doesn't hurt sales/profit because most of the people pirating would never pay no matter what you do. There's no such thing as "lost profit" due to piracy.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

Both the law and our brains still haven't really processed the post-scarcity digital world. That linked study isn't completely on the side of piracy--it did find that it hurts big-name movies, though I'd guess this just indicates how fragile the theater business is these days, even with ticket price increases and overpriced snacks they still have to throw like 30 minutes of ads at you to make ends meet--but the lack of clear evidence that all this rampant file-sharing affects the economy in any way should be a clue that we're making a lot of wrong assumptions. Those assumptions only persist because the idea that stealing something hurts the original owner seems undeniable, and it is pretty much always true... in the physical world.

That said, having a subscription service for unauthorized content still feels pretty scummy. And a bit silly when you could presumably find the same stuff for free elsewhere. Why buy the milk when you can duplicate the cow for free?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
And I'm sure 5 more will replace it. Over the years lets just look at how many times PirateBay has shut down and how Mega-Upload fell and yet still exists in its way.

Pirating will never cease until the market is truly global and simulcast/simurelease and companies won't quit trying to make things exclusive to certain platforms.

I mean, heck, even in gaming, the Switch has been hacked since it released.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Piracy doesn't hurt sales/profit because most of the people pirating would never pay no matter what you do. There's no such thing as "lost profit" due to piracy.

Thats cool and all, but what if we're talking about a subscription service that sells pirated versions. Wouldnt you consider the money a subscriber spends on the service to be "lost profit" seeing as the money is going to the pirates instead of the rights holders?
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Pirating will never cease until the market is truly global and simulcast/simurelease and companies won't quit trying to make things exclusive to certain platforms.

You're not wrong exactly, but I doubt piracy would stop even if all those things changed. I feel like there would still be plenty of anime/manga fans would prefer to pirate even if the industry put literally everything ever made online for free in perfect quality with no ads, and said fans would brag about how they're saving the industry by doing so.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
They should apologize to the fan scanlation groups they took from, not the manga industry. Anyway, I believe scanlation is good but if they release them before the official released is pretty wrong.
Also, think scanlation should do not popular series since One Piece and the other doesn't need there help and have ton of ways to read those series. Scanlation shouldn't shut down (besides this one), they should adapt by releasing the chapter around the same time and link to the official released
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I used them to test potential manga that I might want to own. Just read two maybe three chapters and that was it.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
They should apologize to the fan scanlation groups they took from, not the manga industry. Anyway, I believe scanlation is good but if they release them before the official released is pretty wrong.
Also, think scanlation should do not popular series since One Piece and the other doesn't need there help and have ton of ways to read those series. Scanlation shouldn't shut down (besides this one), they should adapt by releasing the chapter around the same time and link to the official released

Well SJ does have the newest chapters for free in English so that is a plus for those who do not want to pay. The thing is that illegal means you get the chapters Friday while Viz publishes them on Sunday and on sometimes on Wednesday. People want it sooner than later and will most likely read illegal scans than wait a couple more days.

Reading the article Manga Rock charges $4.99 a month for content they stole from both the original creator and the scanslators who do it for free (or ask for donations) to make a profit from it. Kinda terrible of them honestly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6