• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Requiem for Alphadream

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Much like in the Sun and Moon games, HMs will not be present in Sword and Shield, which I think everyone except the most annoying Pokemon purists is totally fine with.

I dunno if I qualify as a purist, but I mostly liked HMs, other than the inconvenience of them taking up move slots. The Sun and Moon system of having pre-selected rideable mons pop up out of nowhere whenever you need them seems weird and makes less sense than using your actual party members to pass obstacles. Honestly, the Let's Go games probably had the best system, where it's like HMs but they don't take up move slots or require specific party Pokemon. Maybe it'll be more like that?

The plan to make more mons usable in competitive battles might turn out to be the real reason behind the Pokedex pruning; easier to pull that off with a few hundred fewer characters. They've implied you can change natures, but that wouldn't let you win tough battles with a Dunsparce; their claim that you can "take those Pokémon [you] caught in the beginning, and the first one [you] chose, and actually take them straight into competitive battle" makes it sound like you could use pretty much anything. Guess we'll see how that turns out. The "18 gyms" thing turned out to be a mistranslation, so it's hard to say.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
Much like in the Sun and Moon games, HMs will not be present in Sword and Shield, which I think everyone except the most annoying Pokemon purists is totally fine with.

I dunno if I qualify as a purist, but I mostly liked HMs, other than the inconvenience of them taking up move slots. The Sun and Moon system of having pre-selected rideable mons pop up out of nowhere whenever you need them seems weird and makes less sense than using your actual party members to pass obstacles. Honestly, the Let's Go games probably had the best system, where it's like HMs but they don't take up move slots or require specific party Pokemon. Maybe it'll be more like that?

Currently the only known 'HMs' in sword and shield, are using taxis as fast travel and an aqua bike as surf. I think that strikes a nice balance between what SM and Lets go's versions of HM
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

I dunno if I qualify as a purist, but I mostly liked HMs, other than the inconvenience of them taking up move slots. The Sun and Moon system of having pre-selected rideable mons pop up out of nowhere whenever you need them seems weird and makes less sense than using your actual party members to pass obstacles.

It makes less sense than your bird pokemon who has wings and can fly not being able to properly fly unless you teach it them or you water pokemon who can float in water needing to be taught surf in order for the player to cross oceans and rivers?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It makes less sense than your bird pokemon who has wings and can fly not being able to properly fly unless you teach it them or you water pokemon who can float in water needing to be taught surf in order for the player to cross oceans and rivers?

Presumably they need to learn how to fly or swim while carrying a human, like training a horse.

But, I mean, if you really want to have a "this doesn't make sense more than this other thing" contest, remember, the Pokemon world is an early-2000s-technology civilization that sells miniature TARDIS-es and healing potions in every convenience store, and sometimes uses teleporters instead of elevators. Children are encouraged to raise squads of superpowered creatures, making them fight for sport and/or to defeat evil organizations. These creatures can remember no more than four things at a time, despite having near or greater-than human intelligence. Grounded things are immune to electricity while ungrounded things are weak to it, which is straight-up backwards. I could go on...

...but ultimately all of that is for gameplay reasons, not because it makes real-life sense. HMs had their pros and cons, in that respect. Nintendo may have just gotten tired of people using the phrase "HM slave." Whatever. Really wasn't trying to make such a big deal out of this, but everything is a big deal in the gaming community, it seems.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
-Alphadream: Ugh, this one hit hard. The Mario and Luigi series is so good and had great off the wall humor. Rest well.

-Guilty Gear: ASW continues to embarrass everyone when it comes to animation.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Presumably they need to learn how to fly or swim while carrying a human, like training a horse.

That's an immersion shatterin.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I would love for Gamefreak to release a list of cut Pokemon, because this installment has a terrible case of buyer beware due to the cuts.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I would love for Gamefreak to release a list of cut Pokemon, because this installment has a terrible case of buyer beware due to the cuts.

It'll help people worrying if their bro survived Dexit or not. Cheering for my man Tropius.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 am Reply with quote
If they stop making Mario & Luigi games after this, I hope Paper Mario can go back to being an RPG. This woman from Nintendo said that Colour Splash could not be an RPG as they already have a Mario RPG series.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:41 am Reply with quote
AlphaDream: It's another huge blow to see a company responsible for making a hilarious and weird sprite to go. These sprites we're even used for an animation Super Mario Bros Z for this, all made by Alvin-Earthworm.

Pokemon Sword and Shield: Why didn't even announced the second and the final evolved of the Scorbunny, Grookey, and Sobble. What about the leader of Team Yell too, and more Pokemon to be revealed. Also, they should list about all the cuts Pokemon from the game too.

R-Type 2: Nice to see an Irem's innovative game to come back.

The Final One: Haven't played it one.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Only if you positively, absolutely need to have certain pokemon to enjoy the game even when you'll likely still have over have anywhere from 500-600 in addition to the new ones we know and don't know about.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Only if you positively, absolutely need to have certain pokemon to enjoy the game even when you'll likely still have over have anywhere from 500-600 in addition to the new ones we know and don't know about.

We'll probably get more curry dishes than Pokemon tbh. XY only gave us like 70 new Pokemon, and people attributed it to the effort it took to change from sprites to 3D models, but then Sun & Moon only gave us 80 so it was just the devs cutting back when they use to do like 120-150 new Pokemon a generation Some people really like specific Pokemon. And unless it's a Kantomon, which are pretty much 100% guaranteed to be in every game due to their privilege, you're gonna be left hoping and praying your favorite mons get in.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I've played all the Mario & Luigi games. Tho some of them I got pretty sick of near the end. I'd rank them Superstar Saga, Bowser's inside story, Paper Jam, Partners in Time, Dream Team.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1