• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime With New English Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
Well that makes this the third dub of this series, but hey I don’t blame them here seeing how in the ADV dub out lead character Seiya was voiced by a creepy human being. Hopefully Netflix can actually dub the whole series too
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:36 am Reply with quote
Only the first 15 episodes are dubbed
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 am Reply with quote
Man if they do the rest of the series there will finally be a reasonable way to watch it in good quality english. None of the releases to date sub or dub have actually been good or accurate for the entire run.

Also as the above poster said only the first 15 seem to have english audio atm. Rest have english subs, wonder if its one of the old (bad eventually) translations or a new one.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
Since they dubbed it, are they putting the Netflix original logo onto it.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
Hopefully third time's the charm for Seiya.

JohnHawk wrote:
Rest have english subs, wonder if its one of the old (bad eventually) translations or a new one.

It's a new translation: https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/1184210770076360704?s=20

Dub cast is the same as the new CG series, with the obvious exception of Shun.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:50 am Reply with quote
Now this is a surprised. Happy to see the old stuff is available. I remember watching some of this series when I was a kid, on a trip to visit relatives in Chile. And I remember them sending over VHS recordings of the show too. Laughing

Think I'm going to end up watching this on Netflix.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
I wonder what suddenly made Toei decide to produce a new English dub for the show. Not complaining, I'm just curious since English Saint Seiya fans were left with 2 incomplete dubs for over 10 years.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
I wonder what suddenly made Toei decide to produce a new English dub for the show. Not complaining, I'm just curious since English Saint Seiya fans were left with 2 incomplete dubs for over 10 years.

That’s just Sentai’s gig, repackaging and redubbing older stuff, which to a Japanese company just sitting on it, is more profitable than not doing anything with it.

Add in a dub cast that was already handling a remake, and everything seemed to line up rather nicely.
geepee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Well that makes this the third dub of this series, but hey I don’t blame them here seeing how in the ADV dub out lead character Seiya was voiced by a creepy human being. Hopefully Netflix can actually dub the whole series too

that still doesn't explain why Sentai didn't bother to get any of the ADV cast back(when they usually do...)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
I’m glad to see the original Saint Seiya streaming again though it’s a little disappointing it’s even less episodes than Crunchyroll had. From what I’ve read, Netflix is streaming the rest of the series in other regions, so hopefully they’ll add more episodes as they dub more of it.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
theNightster wrote:

that still doesn't explain why Sentai didn't bother to get any of the ADV cast back(when they usually do...)

Is Sentai even the company who is dubbing it? Because Netflix usually contacts the LA studios for anime
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
theNightster wrote:

Well, Illich Guardiola not returning as Seiya can be easily explained by the whole scandal of him dating one of his students getting him blacklisted. As for the rest, either they weren't available or Sentai really gave that little of a crap about their predecessor's previous effort.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

Is Sentai even the company who is dubbing it? Because Netflix usually contacts the LA studios for anime

Sentai is listed in the credits, so yes, it’s them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
While I am not fond of Netflix doing license rescues, in this case I am glad because no other company seemed interested in relicensing classic Saint Seiya. Hopefully all 114 episodes and the Hades saga are uploaded. And a home video release would be nice.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
As someone who only saw the late-night Toonami/Adult Swim version of this with the Bowling for Soup "I Ran" opening, I'm guessing these are the uncut versions of the show? (No more weird blue blood?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4