• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level' Light Novels Get TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
I'm so happyyyyyy
gunn_maew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote
Love the LN, very relaxed atmosphere
Amy192

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
YES I LOVE THIS LN
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
Wow awesome another one of my most wanted LN animation ! Considering it's absurd popularity when it started and the fact it's still really popular i'm not really surprised. Can't wait for the anime and the vol 6 to be translated.

It's good that more and more shounen/seinen isekai with female protag are getting an animation, given that Watashi nouryoku has now an anime i wouldn't be surprised if Potion Danoni and 80k get one too.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
This announcement has me actually in tears... I literally just finished the 4th book 15 minutes before this announcement. I had asked if I could buy the first novel for someone 1 minute before seeing this announcement. I can't make this up...
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
I suppose that I shouldn't be too surprised by this, even though the first novel underwhelmed me enough that I didn't read more; it was very lax on world-building or establishing anything that would warrant an ongoing story. Also, despite the gender switch, it was still a pretty straightforward power fantasy except for one thing.

And that one thing is the reason why I'll probably follow the anime: the introspection and philosophizing on the Japanese work mindset. I don't know about the later novels, but that was a core element of the first one, and I am curious to see how it will be handled in the adaptation. Also curious to see how this goes over with a broader audience, as the set-up and structure of the first episode has a lot in common with the not-so-successful Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And that one thing is the reason why I'll probably follow the anime: the introspection and philosophizing on the Japanese work mindset. I don't know about the later novels, but that was a core element of the first one, and I am curious to see how it will be handled in the adaptation. Also curious to see how this goes over with a broader audience, as the set-up and structure of the first episode has a lot in common with the not-so-successful Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsode.

That sums up my thoughts exactly! I was very endeared by the main character and her mindset when it came to work and the life she wanted for herself. I didn't read more than volume 1 because I didn't think I'd get more from it, but at least with an anime I can shut my brain off and just let the screen do everything
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I suppose that I shouldn't be too surprised by this, even though the first novel underwhelmed me enough that I didn't read more; it was very lax on world-building or establishing anything that would warrant an ongoing story. Also, despite the gender switch, it was still a pretty straightforward power fantasy except for one thing.

my experience with the magna tells me this is just a slice of life thing where the only thing that resembles a plot is adding new characters.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Also curious to see how this goes over with a broader audience, as the set-up and structure of the first episode has a lot in common with the not critically acclaimed Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsode.

There, corrected it for you, because no matter how I look at it, an anime that gets a dub not only to english, but also to spanish, portuguese, french, german and russian is not what I would call unsuccessful (unless we enter the realm of conspiracy theories where crunchyroll has some kind of isekai agenda and is loosing money with each one they release).

The manga looks cute, albeit a bit bland, expect the double standards where all the people that hated Smartphone will love this one.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Key wrote:
Also curious to see how this goes over with a broader audience, as the set-up and structure of the first episode has a lot in common with the not critically acclaimed Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsode.

There, corrected it for you, because no matter how I look at it, an anime that gets a dub not only to english, but also to spanish, portuguese, french, german and russian is not what I would call unsuccessful (unless we enter the realm of conspiracy theories where crunchyroll has some kind of isekai agenda and is loosing money with each one they release).

Admittedly, a poor choice of words on my part. However, I haven't seen any metric beyond popularity which points to it being a "good" series. It only pulled a 3.6 average viewer rating during the episode reviews on our site (and I don't think it ever topped 3.7), which isn't abysmal but is at the low end for series which normally make the episode review cut. Its average rating on CR is similar (only a 3.76), which is a middle-of-the-pack rating, so it's not just our site. So yeah, "not highly-regarded" or something like that might have been a more appropriate comparison.

Quote:
The manga looks cute, albeit a bit bland, expect the double standards where all the people that hated Smartphone will love this one.

I assume you're referring to the fact that the lead is female? I wonder how much of a difference that will make. Based on the first novel, the gender of the lead character had little to no impact on what the series was; had the MC been male, little would have changed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
"Everyone liked that." (Except Rimuru. Crossover OVA maybe?)

Kept meaning to try out this novel series, but I guess now I don't have to. Will be praying to the anime-production gods that this adaptation is more like Ascendance of a Bookworm and less like Average Abilities.

mangamuscle wrote:

Can't claim to have seen it myself, but my impression of Phone Isekai was that people didn't like it because it was, y'know, not particularly good. It has a 3.5-star average on CR and even the 5-star reviews say lukewarm stuff like "it's a fairly decent show." Not sure what your point is.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
hoping they make it long enoguh to see our beelzebub Very Happy!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I assume you're referring to the fact that the lead is female? I wonder how much of a difference that will make. Based on the first novel, the gender of the lead character had little to no impact on what the series was; had the MC been male, little would have changed.

Plotwise, yep, zero impact. Viewer reaction wise, it would be "over 9000". I still remember the hate backlash Witch Craft Works got when some people learned the male lead was originally going to be female, but the mangaka decided otherwise. I understand that no series needs to be liked by everybody (and it can still be quite popular, look at SAO), but the double standard I talk about is when the hate some series get when the lead is male but not when female (note: I do not dislike slimes for 300 and would probably watch it if well done*).

*examples of not well done would be Cop Craft, Berserk and would mention Arifureta but had no interest in watching it before the first episode aired.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
The light novels are a nice way to relax and the series is even more of a vacation isekai than Smartphone. With the exception of the rare action event such as spoiler[Azusa one punching a dragon] it is generally a calm slice of life story.

mangamuscle wrote:

I think it will still get some hate for having cute girls and being an isekai but it will be muted compared to Smartphone which had a male protagonist and some light fanservice.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2