• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
...I liked Steins;Gate Elite.
Specifically because the characters could finally look at who they were talking to.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and it doesn't feel anything like either of the two franchises it's supposedly combining

Aesthetically/tonally sure, but I think the gameplay will feel reasonably familiar to anyone used to Megaten games post-Nocturne.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
-Soulcalibur: Finally get the duel between Mitsurugi and Haohmaru we've always wanted.

-TMS: TMS is essentialy Nintendo's of Sakura Wars, it being a campy, goofy mashup that shouldn't work but does and makes something new from it. That's why I've always found the pouting of "It's not what I expected!" to miss the point so freaking hard. Doing the obvious would have been the most boring goop ever. Instead, Atlus took a chance and make something truly unique. Hopefully they try it again in the future, maybe make it so Mirages can do multiple classes and get some representation from Telius or Fodland
Sareail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Quote:
and it doesn't feel anything like either of the two franchises it's supposedly combining

Aesthetically/tonally sure, but I think the gameplay will feel reasonably familiar to anyone used to Megaten games post-Nocturne.

I actually came to quote the exact same line. I'd like to add that Persona is part of the Shin Megami Tensei series and tonally speaking as well as combat-wise and even progression, dungeon and character-wise, TMS#FE is dead on Persona. Not to mention it's worth at least pointing out that it does use the weapon triangle as well as upgrade systems and characters that are from Fire Emblem. It's not a lot of Fire Emblem gameplay. Hardly any. But most crossovers are like that. They use the structure of one thing mixed with characters of another.
ZakuConvoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon Home: Actually, the GTS situation is even worse than some people might realize, because not only is it on a separate program, it's not even available on the Switch version of Home.

The GTS and Trading features are exclusive to the Mobile Phone version of Home, so if you don't happen to have a compatible smartphone...you're just outta luck.

See the chart on the bottom of the official website:
https://home.pokemon.com/en-us/features/
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I really like the battle system and (most of) the visuals in TMS, and I don't mind the paint-by-numbers plot because half the time it feels like a Sailor Moon episode, but the characters are just painfully flat. The game is so built around its characters that their all being one-note archetypes is an albatross around its neck.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's easy to see why Season 1 of Samurai Shodown DLC was free: they were cool characters but, perhaps aside from Shizumaru, not ones to really stoke fan furor. But Season 2… these are the characters people want to drop money on (plus Sogetsu to ward off accusations of pandering too hard). But who is that last character being teased? Speculation is pointing towards Amakusa, which I can believe. I'm just bitter it's not best girl Cham Cham. *sob*

Never say never. Mina and Iroha ranked 1 and 2 on the fan character poll they did last year, so if they're basing the DLC on that then it'll be Chamcham since she's the next one down the list that isn't the game already. Although the silhouette obviously doesn't look like her Laughing

ZakuConvoy wrote:
Pokemon Home: Actually, the GTS situation is even worse than some people might realize, because not only is it on a separate program, it's not even available on the Switch version of Home.

The GTS and Trading features are exclusive to the Mobile Phone version of Home, so if you don't happen to have a compatible smartphone...you're just outta luck.

See the chart on the bottom of the official website:
https://home.pokemon.com/en-us/features/

At least they were kind enough to sell us the features they removed from the base game back to us in a more inconvenient form Wink #ThankYouGameFreak

Nintendo really wants us to use our phones with the switch, I guess.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
Tokyo mirage session sounds surprisingly nice. Gonna play it later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1