• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: EarthBound Gets Official Manga Anthology With Inio Asano, Robico, More Artists

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
anyone else find it creepy seeing Inio Asano attached to this news? Don't get me wrong that there's nothing wrong with the man as a person or least of all his writing skills, but having such a person on board to write for a children's franchise is like commissioning Junji Ito to make something heartfelt for kids.

But it is definitely the thing that caught my attention most of the names here
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
If this ever comes to the US, I'm buying it! Very Happy
Uchay

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
anyone else find it creepy seeing Inio Asano attached to this news? Don't get me wrong that there's nothing wrong with the man as a person or least of all his writing skills, but having such a person on board to write for a children's franchise is like commissioning Junji Ito to make something heartfelt for kids.

Actually, I do think he fits Earthbound.

The game had plenty of horror-like/psychological situations, honestly, and this franchise in general has a very peculiar sense of humor.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Earthbound isn't... exactly a children's franchise... Kids may play it but there's a lot in the games that adults would understand more.
Plus, I don't find it weird that artists who grew up playing the game are involved (I'm assuming the people involved in this are fans)

Anyway, the video made me nostalgic so now I'm listening to the Mother vocal album.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I see. So all the teases were about a manga anthology. Looking up the line up of the artists, a lot of things about their work suddenly make sense.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has recently become a bit of a fan of the MOTHER series, I welcome this news.
It does remind me, though.
I wonder how Mr Shigesato Itoi is handling the Coronavirus pandemic...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1