• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Was the Haruhi Suzumiya Series a Big Deal?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I've never touched this series, but maybe it's time to?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I still remember the massive hype for this anime 14 years ago and quite personally, I wasn't into the hype like everybody else. To me, the show had all the irreverency of the Full Metal Panic series minus the excessive violence.

But I did like the Ace Attorney parody scene and episode 6 of the "Melancholy" saga was very well done. So, I can see the appeal.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for making me feel old.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember this being huge back in the days and my girlfriend at the time was REALLY into the series. Then there was the endless eight and the whole situation with Hirano Aya and the series soon got replaced by K-On.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Much to my surprise, The Intuition of Haruhi Suzumiya is already available in English. In the English version it is volume 11 of the series --- the English release volume 10 combines the Japanese volumes 10 and 11 (for the very good reason that the two Japanese books consist of one story).

I had been reading (English) v9 and v10 in preparation for the new book. When I first read the novels up to v9 I had grown tired of Tanigawa, and I think he'd grown tired, too. v10 brings back a lot of the magic, and the first story in The Intuition of Haruhi Suzumiya is a lot of fun (that's as far as I've gotten in it).
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Endless Eight is an experience I would wish upon any anime fan just to share in it. Love it or hate it.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
I've never touched this series, but maybe it's time to?

I watched it a few years ago. I'd say the hype is overblown and it's much more of a "you had to be there" type thing. If you watched it while it was airing, it likely held more weight/had more impact.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi also took off when Internet memes were really starting to become a noticeable thing. That worked well in it's favor too. But mostly it was "just one of those shows" that you had to see in order to be a "real" anime fan at the time in the online community.
Of course, now that
Kyoto Animation has put out alot more high-quality series over the years using the tricks that they learned in Haruhi, the series will seem rather old hat to newer fans.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know anything about the hype, I just really like the series. I didn't know anything about it, I was just recommended to it from Netflix in 2006... which I then watched Air the TV streamed there which led to renting Kanon.

The only reason the "broadcast" order was a thing was so the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series could end on the conclusion of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya novel but with Sigh and Disappearance being fully adapted, it's really not even necessary to bring it up anymore.

As to the second season, I had a hard time convincing anyone it even existed even while the rebroadast aired, even after Kyo Ani reunited the cast for Haruhi-Chan, even after I posted links to the new opener, even after "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" aired...

Then my PC got infected by a virus. I lost the ability to use my cable modem 2 episodes into Endless 8 which I was watching on Youtube so I end didn't up watching the remaining 6 + Sigh until the complete Bandai DVD release. But to make up for lost time, I first watched the movie by downloading a torrent when I got a new PC... a movie which I later bought on BD from Bandai...

What a weird 15 years. I will never bother with the book series as both the fans and the anime ever really considered necessary, both then and now, were the first three novels, great stories which the whole franchise coasted upon... "Oh that first book... but then in Sigh... but wait until Disappearance because then..."

Pitch perfect adaptations and then nothing because there's nothing else? That must be true because there was more hype for The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato's fanwankery than anything past Disappearance.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
They just had an ENOZ concert to celebrate the new novel:
https://youtu.be/vIrRPm9AuX8

Honestly, I still think this is one of the best anime in every way. OST, theme songs, characters, jp voice acting, animation, background art, story...everything. I think a lot of newer fans are just too use to "watch and move on" anime that make up modern anime. This anime and others in the pre-2014 days were not made to be as disposable like modern anime is. Haruhi has far more depth than I see newer anime viewers realize. Unlike 99%of anime it actually has meaningful messages to tell or to make us think about. I miss that in anime. It's always been uncommon but now it's rare

Haruhi is legendary because it did everything amazingly
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay...

To this day, I still blame this series for "killing" the potential for more anime like "Cowboy Bebop" and "The Big O". Instead, it helped over-saturate the anime market with the moe aesthetic and ecchi.

It helped revitalize the anime industry like Eva did back in the day? Yes, but a what cost? The effects last to this very day...

spoiler[Sorry, I just miss the mid to late 90s that much.]
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I just started re watching lucky star the other day, the mid/late 00's where such a weird time in anime, how the heck did "have a character talk about which side of a cone is the head during the first episode" get okay for 24 episodes? And Haruhi really represent it quite well, they were taking more chance with anime and sometime it worked like the first season and all its weirdness (big dance, random episode order, musical segment) and sometime it didn't work (endless 8). But ultimately Kyoani were just talented people doing good work and giving their team just enough freedom to make special things. Undoubtedly they were at the right time, but they were also the right people.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Pixel_Crusher wrote:
Okay...

To this day, I still blame this series for "killing" the potential for more anime like "Cowboy Bebop" and "The Big O". Instead, it helped over-saturate the anime market with the moe aesthetic and ecchi.

It helped revitalize the anime industry like Eva did back in the day? Yes, but a what cost? The effects last to this very day...

spoiler[Sorry, I just miss the mid to late 90s that much.]

Cowboy Bebop and The Big O killed potential for more anime of their style, neither show did well in Japan, a failing that had nothing to do with Haruhi which came out years after both stopped airing.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the odd order of the first season, and the fact that we were viewing it weekly had a big impact. The odd order and internal mysteries made the series a puzzle, and as a result dominated discussion forums I was on while we waited a week for the next episode.

Plus, they started with a splash --- the amateur movie with Kyon's internal monologue as commentary told us the studio was trying something different.

I haven't returned to the series since broadcast (though I have the DVDs), but I think a more conventional order would have taken away some of the mystery, and the ability to watch one episode after another meant you didn't spend the intervening week what you'd learn next.
SleepyDave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Great article though I think you couldve mentioned the time Haruhi fans solved a math problem once xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5