• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- The Prophecy of the Throne

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Are the translation issues just the general localization choices or are there some actual mistranslations in the script? Also, if I buy the English version and ignore the English text, do I get full voice acting for every line so I can just listen? Alternatively, does the game have Japanese text if you fiddle with the settings?

I buy visual novels from Japan, but thanks to covid, my shipping options are limited, so I simply want to know if, as a fluent Japanese speaker and translator myself, I can essentially buy the English version and not have to rely too heavily on the English localized script. I typically don't mind a script if there's an aid I can use to pick up where a translator might have gone wrong or I don't like a particular localization choice. The English novels were fine for a while, but I did end up buying the Japanese novels so I could double check anything that looked like it might be a mistranslation later.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:04 pm Reply with quote
about how long is an average side and the main route? do you get more out of this from reading the books or side books as well?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
"there was a game for the PlayStation 4 and Vita called Re:Zero: Death or Kiss, which mostly sold itself as an opportunity to check out all the girls in swimsuits" ....tell me more.

That's a shame that Return By Death isn't really as well-utilized in the plot as you would expect. In a choice-based Visual Novel you would expect them to really utilize it for players to make different decisions, but I guess putting so much focus in getting the story right, they may not have felt like it was possible.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote
From the review, I get the impression that this is typical of a good Spike Chunsoft game with its strongest point being its script.

Not that that itself its a bad thing. Just that it always feels like it could have been more.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Are the translation issues just the general localization choices or are there some actual mistranslations in the script? Also, if I buy the English version and ignore the English text, do I get full voice acting for every line so I can just listen? Alternatively, does the game have Japanese text if you fiddle with the settings?

In my opinion the translation itself is alright. Maybe some things to nitpick but nothing major. There is full Japanese and English voice acting, and you can set the interface language to Japanese through the options.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
about how long is an average side and the main route? do you get more out of this from reading the books or side books as well?

It took me about 12 hours to clear the main game. In the post-game there are a couple of extra scenarios you can access from picking a couple of different choices at the start of the game, but it should only take you around 30-40 minutes to see them all.

There aren't really any substantial "side routes" in the game. There are a couple of extra scenes you can see if you pick different dialogue options or fail a mission, but they quickly loop back to the main scenario.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Frog-kun"]
Juno016 wrote:
There aren't really any substantial "side routes" in the game. There are a couple of extra scenes you can see if you pick different dialogue options or fail a mission, but they quickly loop back to the main scenario.

I kind of assumed you could get "dates" with certain characters depending on the choices you make, like with Emilia and Rem, is that close to what you're talking about?
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Frog-kun wrote:

I kind of assumed you could get "dates" with certain characters depending on the choices you make, like with Emilia and Rem, is that close to what you're talking about?

Its not a dating sim like some VNs are. If have you played Steins;Gate this sounds like that, a linear adventurer novel with some decision making at specific points that lead to various ends (mostly bad I assume lol).

Better yet if you have played Danganronpa series then this pretty much like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1