• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Boobs and Battles of Fatal Fury

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This was, and still is, a personal favorite of mine. I loved the Fatal Fury, and later KOF games. To me this was a sort of Michael Bay of Anime movie, before Bay became truly known as Mr Explosion. It's just lots of action, explosions, and attitude. A fun sit down and chill for 90 minutes movie. I find I can rewatch it every now and then due to the quality of the fights, and the movie's more simplistic nature. Here's some awesome fights scenes and some T&A, enjoy! Obviously that's not for everyone, but I grew up with 80's and 90's anime. Those were the sort of titles I grew up with, so this fit right in.

It was also by far one of the better video game to anime adaptations. Whether it was OVA, movie, or tv series format. I hold this and the Street Fighter II movie as the peak of those adaptations. They help me forget about the stench that were the Tekken animated movie, Battle Arena Toshinden Movie, and Virtua Fighter tv series.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I remember playing some Neo-Geo games when I was young here in Argentina, there's was an arcade near me where I played Metal Slug 3 and Spin Master, I also played KOF '98 in a supermarket and I always chose Iori, Terry and Kyo. Unlike other companies SNK did translate their games into Spanish and Portuguese, but if you think their English translations had issues let me tell you that their Spanish translations are no better.
Something funny is that despite SNK's popularuty in Latin America, none of their anime productions were brought here (there's an European Spanish dub of this Fatal Fury anime though), Capcom movies and shows fared much better in comparison.
So despite having played most of SNK games I haven't seen any of the Fatal Fury anime aside from some fragments, I think it has a sort of retro charm and Obari's interpretation of the characters looks cool but I still think Street Fighter II MOVIE is still the best adaptation of a fighting game.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This movie might be the most Obari thing ever, and I'm so glad Discotek commissioned an HD remaster from the original negatives, which looks insanely good. Seriously, if you don't own the Blu-ray release, buy it. That said, I think the Fatal Fury 2 TV special had a better story, and it's a shame that apparently there aren't film masters for it.

I just wish Obari would get to do an adaptation of Real Bout Fatal Fury, so we'd at least see the final showdown between Terry and Geese. I guess the closest we'll ever have to seeing that fight animated is Rock Howard's nightmare in the second episode of The King of Fighters: Another Day. Speaking of that, I completely missed the news that Obari will do a promotional short for The King of Fighters XV, and I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Quote:
Fortunately, they're no match for him, though the animation in this part... it's nice, but man, it looks so different from everything else in the movie.

According to Sakugabooru, that fluid but very odd-looking fight scene with Terry and the masked henchmen was animated by Shinsaku Kozuma. It's interesting that Obari, despite being a consummate animator, let the animators' distinct art styles shine through instead of redrawing their cuts so that the characters looked on-model.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
The overuse of love interests they gave Terry is insane. I think this movie was made before the release of Fatal Fury 3 because such game introduce the actual love interest Terry has in the games, Blue Mary.

However, when the Chinese company Dragoon or something like that made a KOF cgi series, Terry was given ANOTHER ORIGINAL LOVE INTEREST spoiler[who dies in the middle of the battle. It's like the Leomon or Krillin curses from Digimon and Dragon Ball.]

It really feels like the staff has no idea how to write Terry without including a love interest. What was even the point? Terry had an agenda against Geese for his adopted father but Obari apparently wanted to appeal to more demographics, resulting in this.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This movie was my introduction to SNK, and I always find myself coming back to it every couple years. It's a great group-watch. I always thought Terry's Neo Max was based on the move he does at the end of this movie, but I have no idea if that's actually true.
tintor2 wrote:
It really feels like the staff has no idea how to write Terry without including a love interest. What was even the point? Terry had an agenda against Geese for his adopted father but Obari apparently wanted to appeal to more demographics, resulting in this.

Be fair: that decision gave us spoiler[Geese paying off orphans to help him kill Terry's dad] in the first special that this film calls back to, which is easily my favorite version of how that went down (although I think Obari was only the character designer on that one).
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this on the Sci-Fi Channel many years before they changed it to the pretentious Sy-Fy (pfft). It was part of their week long anime movie marathon. Got to see this along with Galaxy Railroad 1 & 2, and Uresei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer. I might have missed a night, don't know if there was a fifth title.

Anyway, as the first anime on that week, it wasn't bad.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I remember watching this on the Sci-Fi Channel many years before they changed it to the pretentious Sy-Fy (pfft).

One of my longtime online friends worked for Syfy. He explained that the misspelling was trademarkable whereas "Sci-Fi" was not.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I remember watching this on the Sci-Fi Channel many years before they changed it to the pretentious Sy-Fy (pfft).

One of my longtime online friends worked for Syfy. He explained that the misspelling was trademarkable whereas "Sci-Fi" was not.

Okay, that's actually a very good reason for the change. Thank you for clarifying.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Fatal Fury the Movie! I remember it well from the early days of anime movies on the Scifi Channel.

Okay, actually I don't remember all that much about it at all. Except that they blurred out Mia's butt even when she wasn't naked.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Unrelated to the topic discussion, but I can't tell you how weird it is for me to see someone with my name, spelled the same way, posting on a website I've frequented for years.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
It was also by far one of the better video game to anime adaptations. Whether it was OVA, movie, or tv series format. I hold this and the Street Fighter II movie as the peak of those adaptations. They help me forget about the stench that were the Tekken animated movie, Battle Arena Toshinden Movie, and Virtua Fighter tv series.

I am now quite tempted to have a dumb video game adaptation movie night after being reminded of the genre now. I already own the Fatal Fury movie and Gowkaizer, and then you brought up Battle Arena Toshinden (which I also own). It's probably fate. Might sprinkle in some Sakura Wars for good measure.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:00 am Reply with quote
You simply CANNOT have a dumb video game movie night without the animated Tekken movie lol. I think of all of them it is the worst. Or best if you want to look at it in terms of being so bad it's good and fun. I advise some drinks. I actually liked the Toshinden movie at the night as I really liked the game. Then a few years later....I sort of wondered wth I was thinking. I was probably partially distracted by Sofia.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
As a longtime fan of SNK & this movie, all I can really say is this was an absolute joy to read.

Some fun SNK facts:

- Billy Kane's sister, Lily Kane who also becomes a love interest for Joe Higashi, was named after Lily from this anime.

- Terry's characterization as a tragic lovesick virgin is ironically the opposite of who he is in the games. After all, the man can accurately guess a woman's measurements just by looking at her.

- Legend has it that SNK bribed Masami Obari with a Neo Geo & Fatal Fury 2 in order to convince him to work on the animated projects. It makes me wonder if getting Laocorn as DLC was the trade this time for Obari's new KOF anime project; do it SNK!

Also, please please please do a sequel to this in the form of reviewing Voltage Fighters Gowkaiser. I feel like y'all are obligated at this point.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
You simply CANNOT have a dumb video game movie night without the animated Tekken movie lol. I think of all of them it is the worst. Or best if you want to look at it in terms of being so bad it's good and fun. I advise some drinks. I actually liked the Toshinden movie at the night as I really liked the game. Then a few years later....I sort of wondered wth I was thinking. I was probably partially distracted by Sofia.

Curses! I have apparently misplaced my copy of that... But I did find Samurai Shodown and Darkstalkers, for what that's worth. I apparently own way more of these than I remembered. Thanks for the reminder to find Tekken, because it is pretty great for such things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1