• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote
Knowing it's worth it takes some of the edge off having to wait another two years before it's out overseas. Thanks for the review!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
Sounds good to me.

Hope that two year wait the above poster mentioned is not true. If it is, that is a pretty stupid business move. Many people are not going to wait that long. Sure I will complete my domestic BD collection, but I am not going to wait that long either to watch it. I understand theater runs as much as the next person, but there is no such thing as a two year theater run.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
I was being optimistic, actually. There's no actual street date, but the overseas BD turnaround for the last one was three years. I'm just hoping the next wait isn't four years.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I couldn’t help myself and read all the spoilers. It sounds like the movie is going to be very cathartic. I look forward to watching an End of Evangelion directed by an emotionally healthy Anno.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I was being optimistic, actually. There's no actual street date, but the overseas BD turnaround for the last one was three years. I'm just hoping the next wait isn't four years.

I think the long turnaround for that may have been because (from what I heard) they had to rewrite and redub 3.0 after Khara wasn't happy with how it initially turned out. This might be completely wrong though, so feel free to correct me if anyone knows if this is true or not.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
That is assuming the movie will even get a dub in the first place, considering the whole mess with the Netflix dub. I wouldn't be surprised if Khara simply eskews a dub in order to avoid so much unneeded drama, except in countries when dubbing is mandatory by law.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
That is assuming the movie will even get a dub in the first place, considering the whole mess with the Netflix dub. I wouldn't be surprised if Khara simply eskews a dub in order to avoid so much unneeded drama, except in countries when dubbing is mandatory by law.

Knowing how things roll, they could still try anyway so it's best to wait instead of assuming what Khara would do. And you're forgetting said dub has its fans so it would be a disservice to them too.
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Not making an English dub at all sounds like a terrible decision, but Khara's preference for the new dub staff/cast does complicate things. Considering they've let the English rights to the first Rebuild lapse already, I wouldn't be shocked if they're planning on redubbing all the earlier movies for consistency. But then they probably won't release the new one dubbed until they have the rights the all the old ones and that could be a long wait.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
So what's Kaworu doing in the poster? After 3.0 I doubt he appears a lot unless he appears as a judge in a similar way to End of Evangelion
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The animators they assembled for this feature is a murderer’s row of super talented artists. Can anyone confirm how much of the mecha animation is CG?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused on the dub front. I thought initially that the Rebuilds were a different property from the original TV anime, license-wise I mean. Figured Funi still had the rights to the Rebuilds at least while Netflix snatched up the TV series and movies. Does this mean the Rebuilds are owned by Netflix now, or do they remain on the table? Because if Netflix does own the Rebuild rights then they would have already at the chance of releasing them on their platform by now. Unless of course there's a different licensing issue I'm not seeing, eg song licensing and whatnot.

Think I just confused myself here more than this movie.

Anyway, as much as I didn't mind the new dub for the tv series (or prefer in terms of EOE), I would still prefer having the cast of the first three Rebuilds reprise their roles if not for the sake of completion and anyone else with Obsessive Compulsive Disorders. It feels only right to give Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant one last hurrah for these characters. Plus if rumors about the ending are true, they might wanna retain Spike at least.

And Allison Keith. Yes, I remembered.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I'm a little confused on the dub front. I thought initially that the Rebuilds were a different property from the original TV anime, license-wise I mean. Figured Funi still had the rights to the Rebuilds at least while Netflix snatched up the TV series and movies. Does this mean the Rebuilds are owned by Netflix now, or do they remain on the table? Because if Netflix does own the Rebuild rights then they would have already at the chance of releasing them on their platform by now. Unless of course there's a different licensing issue I'm not seeing, eg song licensing and whatnot.

Think I just confused myself here more than this movie.

Anyway, as much as I didn't mind the new dub for the tv series (or prefer in terms of EOE), I would still prefer having the cast of the first three Rebuilds reprise their roles if not for the sake of completion and anyone else with Obsessive Compulsive Disorders. It feels only right to give Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant one last hurrah for these characters. Plus if rumors about the ending are true, they might wanna retain Spike at least.

And Allison Keith. Yes, I remembered.

Well, we heard GKIDS just got the license for home video releases so...
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

The rights to the first movie have reverted back to Khara and they are not included in the deal Netflix made. Funimation still has the rights to the second and third movies. It looks like each movie has a separate license.

Khara could potentially release the movies on Netflix in the future, or rerelease them through Gkids, but they seem to be handled separately from the original show.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
So what's Kaworu doing in the poster? After 3.0 I doubt he appears a lot unless he appears as a judge in a similar way to End of Evangelion

I'm going to assume you don't actually want me to answer this question.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
Two decades ago I was a freshman in college and my roommate was watching some crazy anime. I remember seeing a giant robot jumping from battleship to battleship, and it was shortly after I ended up renting the entire series on VHS.

Fast forward to the present, where my love of anime turned into my career, my business, and I find myself in Japan for the release of the final entry in the franchise.
I saw it, and all I have to say is:

We sure aren't children any more...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4