• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: High-Rise Invasion Season 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
I think you mixed up the name of a character in the + section
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The show seems like mildly entertaining schlock. Shame the animation quality is lackluster. The best shows like this,work best when you got top quality animation,since it makes up for it's lack in everything else.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:
I think you mixed up the name of a character in the + section

Fixed!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
This is Grade A schlock of the crassest caliber. And for that. it succeeds admirably.

I presume somewhere in the Netflix main offices, their supercomputers running algorithms have determined the American audience likes this stuff a lot more than they would care to admit.

Keyword being admit because as entertaining as this can be, it's not something you publicly compliment.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
My reaction to this was very similar to the one James had: the series eventually got to a point where the stupid in it became fun. (For me, I want to say it was around the point that Rika had to confront Baseball Mask.) Also have to give props to James for figure out an accurate way to describe Jonah Scott's performance.

And yeah, this is very much in the same entertainment-level vein as a High School of the Dead. If you can appreciate content on that level of ridiculousness then you'll probably like this series, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
The show seems like mildly entertaining schlock. Shame the animation quality is lackluster. The best shows like this,work best when you got top quality animation,since it makes up for it's lack in everything else.

Zero-G's never been known for heavy action titles and a fair amount of outsourcing (seeing as the studio they were "inspired" from mostly did nothing but outsourcing or MD Geist-related crap, they were pretty much doomed from the start). So the poor animation quality doesn't surprise me.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
for instance, instead of using the subtitle track's much snappier term for its super-powered human test subjects — the aforementioned “God Candidates” — the English dub has everyone constantly referring to “the ones closer to God”, which is supremely awkward to hear

It's funny because "the ones closer to God" was actually the term that Mangabox used in their original translations of the manga when they were serializing it on their app. (Not sure if Seven Seas uses the same translation -- haven't picked up the volumes.) So if you look at it like that, "the ones closer to God" might be the more... "accurate" terminology, but I can definitely see how unwieldly it would be if actually spoken aloud.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Here's something I want to say. Since the reviewer mentioned Saturday morning cartoons in there,let's just mention the two big differences between them. One,they didn't feel the need to soak the screen in blood like "High Rise Invasion" certainly seems to do. The other is they're a lot more fun to watch,too. Yeah,there were times when stuff like "Scooby-Doo" could get creepy,but not like this.
Heck,I'd rather watch the worst Saturday morning cartoon that was ever created than watch one second of this piece of nightmare fuel. If I were doing a review of this series,I'd say that's it's nothing but an animated slasher film from start to finish. This series was made for gorehounds so I'm going to stay far away from "High Rise Invasion" as much as possible. I probably couldn't take it,nor would I like it very much. Even as a teenager,I never went near this sort of stuff and the times I did was by accident and regretted it immediately. In short,I'm not going to see it and I'm going to put it on my must miss list.
Sarcataclysmal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:40 am Reply with quote
Article incorrectly links to Studio Zero's page, rather than Zero-G
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that this only got a C+ rating but I'm not at all surprised since it's a very accurate and honest review, at least that also how I felt about it.

I definitely went into it hoping for something cool and amazing and the start really hooked me, people of all ages get randomly 'isekaied' to a world where you can only traverse via roofs or the upper floors of buildings plus masked kooks with superpowers aiming not to kill but drive people to suicide? What a mystery, why is this happening and why is this ditz with a brother complex seem to have a switch in her where she goes from stupid to super-competent?

But over time things got sillier and stupider but somehow... I just didn't care and was on board. I think there are a genuine lost opportunity and a number of problems from a writing perspective like why did the plot shift from trying not to drive people to suicide to trying to take out another faction, then the superpowers are ridiculous, the whole scene where the MC puts on the mouthless mask was so laden with fanservice, everything with great angel... etc.

Still despite all my complaints the anime was just... fun. It really feel like it just captures that wacky sense of wouldn't it be cool if this dude could pitch steel baseballs with the force of a bullet?

It's definitely not a show anyone could enjoy but I'm sure there are people who will enjoy it for it's sillyness.

Here's to hoping there's a s2 announced soon or I'll have to go buy the manga.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
Never ever would I watch trashy and gory shows like this! Never! I'm way better and cultivated than that!
Is there a second season planned? Asking for a friend, of course...
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:

a show like this doesn't need it in my opinion since there's options to make up for it like strong direction or storyboards or Character designs.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:07 am Reply with quote
I have to admit I actually enjoy this goofy show. If it gets a 2nd season, I definitely check it out.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
Am I the only wpone who saw that image in the front page and thought, initially, it was Full Metal Panic?

The absence of a final,season is a wound that only gets worse with time.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Am I the only wone who saw that image in the front page and thought, initially, it was Full Metal Panic?

No, no, you're not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1